The pet culture in France

Hey everyone,

Pets are an integral part of a lot of families. So much so that they would never consider moving abroad without them. Before doing so, it would be important to know the pet culture in France just to make sure that their little “expets” feel welcomed in their new homes. Would you give our expats-to-be an insight of what it is like to have a pet in France by answering the following questions?

What part do pets play in society in France? Are they generally accepted in rentals and public spaces more generally?

Is it common for families to have pets?

What animal is the most often kept as pets? Are there some animals that cannot be kept as pets? Do some animals have specific significations when kept as pets?

How about the infrastructure needed to cater for pets? Can you find everything you need for your pet in terms of pet food, veterinary services, accessories, pet grooming etc...?

Do people generally spend a lot of money on their pets?

Please share your experience,

Priscilla

Yes, it is common for families to have pets.
Pets are well tolerated as long as they don't make a nuisance of themselves.
You can find everything you need, especially grooming.
People do spend a lot on their pets, yes.
Many pets - particularly cats - are never allowed outdoors, so it's hard to estimate how many there are.

Re importing pets. Here is a passage copied from a UK government publication.:
------------------------------------------------
If you are going to stay permanently in France with your pet which can be a rat, mouse, rabbit, guinea-pig, hamster...(rodents and lagomorphs) or if you are going to transport your animal through France without returning home:

You can only take 5 animals to France (all species included) per owner per family, with only one owner being allowed per family. If you are taking more than 5 animals, you need the authorization of the French Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries, Food and Rural Affairs (Animal Welfare Office) (See address below).

Please contact:

MAPAAR
Bureau de la protection animale
251 rue Vaugirard - 75732 Paris Cedex 15 France
Tel : 00 33 1 49 55 84 70
Fax : 00 33 1 49 55 81 97

You will need to obtain certificates issued by a Local Veterinary Inspector (a private veterinary surgeon who is allowed to issue certificates for the import/export of pets) to travel with your animal:

I. A certificate of Good Health (In both languages) to testify that your pet has no signs of disease, above all any signs of a contagious disease of the species.For example regarding rabbits: myxomatosis etc. This certificate should be issued between 1 and 5 days before the entry of the animal into France.

II. A certificate from a Local Veterinary Surgeon showing that the pet has stayed in the UK at least 21 days before the departure to France or since its birth.

You can find a registered veterinary surgeon if you consult the website : www.yell.com

Regarding the journey, please contact the appropriate transport companies to check if your are allowed to travel with your pet.

You have to check if your animal belongs to an endangered species

-----------------------------------------

It is absolutely essential to have your pets micro-chipped, as well as inoculated - please contact Customs and Excise or your vet in UK before departure. Some inoculations must be applied well before setting out .
In France, all dogs are required by law to be kept on a leash, some breeds should also wear muzzles
Certain breeds are not allowed into the country.
Most landlords tolerate (well-trained) pets.

hey Priscilla

I think french people are very friendly with pets and I believe here will be a good place for them to live. Here and in the streets there is many dogs but I don't know about other kinds of pet but I believe these people have no problem with any kind of pet even crocodiles ;)

Cats are certainly allowed out where we live in Haute Savoie, there are several regular visitors to our garden (as well as our own puss).
Lovely local vet, and it was great to find the annual booster she just had was exactly as she had had in the uk.  Prides don't seem much different.
Similar brands of food available, Sheba, Felix etc.
We had been worried about the journey but once we got the message that she didn't like being shut in her basket, and gave her free run of the camper van, she was fine. I didnt even yse the 'calming tablet" my UK vet gave me.
I'd got her used to a lead and harness beforehand which was useful for raking her for a leg stretch at some of the aires de repos, and making sure she didn't scuttle off under a parked car. It wouldn't have been easy to get her out again!

Very often pets are accepted in public spaces
Yes of course
Cats and dogs I think
Some species are not allowed to be taken as pets like tropical species, monkeys,...
You can buy all that is necessary for pets in shops