Not Blinded by the Past or Motivated by the Future

I love my loneliness as it helps me gather strength to deal with people. I am a drifter, and as lonely as that can be, it is also remarkably freeing. I will never define myself in terms of anyone else. I will never feel the pressure of peers or the burden of parental expectation. I can view everyone as pieces of a whole, and focus on the whole, not the pieces. I have learned to observe, far better than most people observe. I am not blinded by the past or motivated by the future. I focus on the present because that is where I am destined to live. I felt this awful obligation to be charming or at least have something to say, and the pressure of having to be charming incapacitates me.

Being a loner doesn't make me lonely, but being lonely can make a loner. People know me, but they don't really know me. I am completely a loner. In my head I want to feel I can be anywhere. There's a sort of recklessness that being a loner allows me.

No need to worry about the future because God holds it.Interesting to read and know how everyone perceives life.I agree with living in the present and forgiving your past because theres not a lot you can change there.

Well said!

impressed

Quite a strong.. yet painful statement to find the inner strength.

should be brave

Humans are social animals. Those who withdraw themselves from other have something wrong with them.

Moderated by Priscilla 5 years ago
Reason : please post in english only on this english speaking forum

You are wrong, people who are solitary are the most loyal people ! please use google traduction to read the french article about this.

poodlefan2 wrote:

You are wrong, people who are solitary are the most loyal people ! please use google traduction to read the french article about this.

As this is a English language forum one should post in English rather than expecting the readers to find a way to translate.

Solitary hermits might be loyal (and also have other qualities), but they are not normal by the definition of any human society I know of.

beppi wrote:

Humans are social animals. Those who withdraw themselves from other have something wrong with them.

Not necessarily. Most creative people in history, those who changed the world, were introverts.

There is a big difference between an introvert, who reflects his thoughts and opinions within his own mind first before broadcasting them to the outside world, and a hermit, who withdraws him/herself from all interaction with society.
We are talking about hermits here, not introverts (who are a normal and, as you said, useful part of society).

It is not the hermitage that is abnormal, but the question of why the hermitage. If the answer is not fear or other similar problem emotions, then I don't think it is an issue. We might want to consider the reasons that underlie the choice. Is it a lifestyle choice or is it the result of something beyond the person's control? If it's Avoidant Personality Disorder, Social Anxiety or Schizoid Personality Disorder then the individual most likely is unhappy and in distress. While it's partially true that humans are social creatures, there is the long traditions of structured and institutionalized solitude that have developed independently in the east and the west in the form of Monasticism as well as those who choose to live in solitude outside of institutions as Hermits. Many people have lived long and fulfilling lives within long stretches of Solitude and have gained a great deal from it. I imagine for some, it has to do with a strong preference to solitude combined with being generally sick of what human society is like or has become. Society is awful and I think most people would agree to some extent. If life away from that were possible I'm sure some would choose it. It's not in itself a type of mental illness. Being withdrawn, avoiding social situations and being asocial or anti-social can be caused by mental illness but it certainly doesn't have to be. Many people simply prefer solitude to social activities. It is only considered a disease if it impacts a person's ability to function or causes them distress for a long period of time. So desiring seclusion on its own is just a trait, and whether it has a beneficial or detrimental effect on a person's life is what is most important. I have found that solitude is increasingly looked down on and considered abnormal in our society. I believe that solitude is an incredibly valuable thing and should be cultivated and encouraged for those who want/need it.

beppi wrote:

There is a big difference between an introvert, who reflects his thoughts and opinions within his own mind first before broadcasting them to the outside world, and a hermit, who withdraws him/herself from all interaction with society.
We are talking about hermits here, not introverts (who are a normal and, as you said, useful part of society).

You did not specify hermits in your previous comment.

There is nothing to be said against solitude to re-charge the mental batteries and focus one's thoughts.
In fact, some of the greatest thinkers of all times went through periods of being alone (Buddha, Lao-Tse, Diogenes, Heraklit, Jesus, Muhammad, and probably a few more) - but all of them had in common that they returned to society, or re-started communication with its members, to share the knowledge gained during the hermitage.
Wisdom that is not spread is wasted. Thus, while there are some good reasons for temporary or even permanent solitude - and certainly everyone should be able and allowed to frely decide how to live one's own life - those who opt for permananent withdrawal from society cease to be useful members of the human race. I much prefer monks, nuns or others who remain active in charity and other causes to benefit those less fortunate than them. Thinking only about one's own enlightenment seems a bit selfish to me.

I might be wrong but I have never seen a solitude man been infringed upon his choice. After all, he is the only society he needs and should not be interested in other's opinion about his life choices.  If you are on your own, who could interfere you in enjoying loneliness?

SpaceDog24 wrote:

I might be wrong but I have never seen a solitude man been infringed upon his choice. After all, he is the only society he needs and should not be interested in other's opinion about his life choices.  If you are on your own, who could interfere you in enjoying loneliness?

Nobody can. But people could judge you for it.

Meet other expats and join the events

OR