MM2H: how long did it take for you?

I have to wonder about those numbers. I've almost never heard anyone complaining about being rejected. One would expect some serious grumbling about the high rejection rate if they were turning down nearly a million applications and had a 96-97% ejection rate. I'd think that the agents would be in revolt if they were submitting 20 applications and only one got accepted!

Maybe they are using "inquiries" as their initial data point...and include people who don't do a follow up. But even that would seem high as they likely don't hear about the inquiries to agents, on website like this, and just hits on their website.

I'd like to point out that these reports by MM2H are basically "justifications". They give a lot of financials about how much the progam is bringing into the economy...but the economic benefits are not all equal. The purchase of property can be a pretty direct benefit, but the Fixed Deposit (while it helps currency market balance) will be recouped by the depositor at some point in time. Purchases of goods can be foreign imports vs. Malaysian produced items. Then there are vehicles- which vary in composition. Hiring a local or staying in a local Guest House percentage wise gets more into local pockets than staying in a foreign-owned hotel (of course, they do hire locals).

Making the program look like it is highly sought after, but selective, is good publicity.

Found this data.

https://www.ceicdata.com/en/malaysia/ma … m2h-taiwan

Anyone?

Gravitas wrote:

Found this data.

Anyone?

Interesting. I wonder how they got the figures?

(In Europe and some other regions, a dot is used instead of a comma as a thousands separator. I don't think that's how it's being used in the table. 77.000 is just 77.)

The cumulative total for the UK data is just under 2,000 and, assuming the data doesn't cover all of the years during which MM2H has been operating, is not far from the 2,500 Brits quoted as holding MM2H by the High Commission in late 2018. Hence I think this data shows successful applications, not the total.

Cobolin wrote:
Gravitas wrote:

Found this data.

Anyone?

Interesting. I wonder how they got the figures?

(In Europe and some other regions, a dot is used instead of a comma as a thousands separator. I don't think that's how it's being used in the table. 77.000 is just 77.)

The cumulative total for the UK data is just under 2,000 and, assuming the data doesn't cover all of the years during which MM2H has been operating, is not far from the 2,500 Brits quoted as holding MM2H by the High Commission in late 2018. Hence I think this data shows successful applications, not the total.

And China would have over 10 million applications up through 2017 if the comma is represented by a dot. That's vastly more than their claim of 1 million total applications. Even Chinese applications of 1512.000 in 2016 would exceed that.

I was able to find some data from Datin Sharifah Iklas Syed Ismail al-Jafree's presentation of 30/03/2017 at the SSM National Interest Schemes Forum. That has the number of successful total and 2016 applications by nation. China had 1512 successful applications in 2016. Taiwan had 77 successful applications in 2016 (vs. 77.000 on the chart). Japan had 281 successful applications in 2016. Bangladesh had 283 (vs. 283.000 in the CEIC data for 2016). UK had 110 (vs. 110.000).  Korea 184 (vs. 184.000 CEIC) . Singapore 93 (vs. 93.000 CEIC). India 68 (vs. 68.000).

So Cobolin seems to be correct. It's just a data presentation issue.

Interesting....any hint which countries are comprised under "others" ??

I guess mostly Europe and the US....but I wonder the reason for the sharp fall from an avg of 600+-/yr to 272

I suspect that a lot of the ebbs and flows are related to internal factors in the home countries and promotional activities.

Look at the Indonesian data and you'll see a big peak early on - just after the Financial Crisis and Social Revolution. I bet many of those were Indonesian Chinese. It's dropped off considerably since as the situation has stabilized.

The peak of Japanese application acceptances relates to the Earthquake of 2011 and heavy promotion of a "Look Malaysia" retirement scheme by both the Japanese government (who find assisting elderly Japanese immigration a positive thing) and Malaysian Tourism, but also expat Japanese.

http://jams92.org/jamswp02/jamswp02-031.pdf

After a dip between 2007-2010,  Chinese MM2H Acceptances started climbing somewhat in 2011...really took off when an agreement between Tourism Malaysia and the Bank of China resulted in the latters' Premier customers getting promotional information and the Malaysian government having confirmation access to account levels. Prior to this acceptances were delayed due to forged bank documents. The Bank even established an MM2H Help Desk to assist Chinese customers on the Chinese side.

http://migratemalaysia.com/fast-track-y … -of-china/

Why the dip in 2014? The disappearance of MH370 created a upwelling of anger against the Malaysian government .

https://qz.com/196492/why-chinese-famil … ver-mh370/

That was quickly over however. The number of Chinese applicants escalated back in 2015 and then went exponential.

https://weehingthong.org/2017/03/26/the … thousands/

As to what "Others" represent- it's a hodge-podge of countries - USA, Canada, non-UK Europe, Australia and New Zealand, but also Iran (which had large reductions from 2004-2008 to a trickle in 2014-2016), Hong Kong (which was given a different status from China), Russia.

Another complication is that as some countries move up in the rankings their data is treated alone, and they are replaced by a country that may have once done well, but is now in the doldrums. Now that they are in the "others" their earlier success makes "Others" look higher in the past, but now is lower.

As an extreme example (this is not going to happen), let's say that Canadians started flooding in on the MM2H and China, due to financial controls and government bias had accepted applications plunge. Canada enters into the top 8, while China is now in the "Others". That would mean that Canadas low application rate/acceptance in previous years would be removed from the "Others"  and replaced by China data. It would look like others were once really, really doing well and no have plummtted. In fact, most of the other countries may actually be showing growth in application acceptances.

Probably something like this happens (on a smaller scale) in realiy... when other countries (Iran) drop down into the "Others" grab-bag category.

Hi, I applied in May 2018 and received the approval letter last week. I have the following questions on moving forward and would appreciate if anyone can throw some light:

a) Fixed deposit: I am required to place a fixed deposit of MYR 300,000. Can I place this fixed deposit for a 5 year tenor/period?
b) instead of a single fixed deposit, can I put my fixed deposits as follows: 1 (One) fixed deposit of MYR 150,000 and 3 (three) fixed deposit of MYR 50,000 each (3X50,000 = 150,000): Total fixed deposit of MYR 300,000.
c) Journey performed visa: I currently live in Singapore, and travel to Malaysia on tourist visa. For collection of MM2H social pass, can I enter Malaysia using my tourist visa. In such case, would the journey performed visa apply on me? Do I need to apply for another visa before going to Malaysia for collecting my MM2H social pass?
c) Is there a particular form or format to be used for:  “the Letter to confirm the said Fixed Deposit from the bank (LIEN) for MM2H and cannot be withdrawn without approval letter from the Ministry of Tourism, Arts and Culture Malaysia”

Thanks a lot in advance.

The Bank prepares its own placement confirmation letter and the wording is already approved by Putrajaya. The FD is arranged at a Malaysian branch of a bank and in MYR.

The FD has to be placed for the length of the visa so 10 years. Interest rates are higher for longer periods and it's possible to negotiate the rate. Some people agree a 5 year rate and renegotiate at that point.

The only access to the FD during the 10 years is through submitting an allowable expense to the maximum permissible amount (or leaving the mm2h programme)

I've read it is possible to break down the amount but never heard of anyone doing it. Your bank of choice can advise their policy. I imagine two FDs might be acceptable.

I see you are English so don't need a tourist visa just an on entry Visit Pass. I don't think you will be charged the journey performed fee as you would be entering just to finalise your Mm2h.

Two other points: it is only possible to have one bank in Malaysia while on mm2h, and FD interest is probably best paid into a current account instead of inflating the Principal

Thank you Gravitas.....appreciate your inputs.
Any bank and branch that you can recommend? Also,where do I execute the security bond?

Thanks again

Security Bond needs stamping at any tax office LHDN. You will need your passport and the mm2h conditional approval letter

If you are in KLCC then nearest one is at Menara Olympia - IRB Kuala Lumpur City on Jalan Raja Chulan.

https://www.google.com/search?q=LHDN+Me … 2520Branch

If you have a banking relationship with HSBC in Singapore you could use them in Malaysia. Otherwise CIMB is popular. It can be convenient to extend a SG banking relationship to Malaysia because of ease of transferring funds.

Thanks so much Gravitas...much appreciated. Regards,

Congrats...and just for the records, could you share which Nr does your application start with ? Is it 37.XXX, 38.XXX ??

I was told last week by my Agent that applications from May and June were moving forward, but given the backlog is around 3.000 applications, I just wanna have a feel of where I am standing . TIA !

Hi, I applied in May 2018 and received the approval letter last week

Thanks for your detailed analysis Cinnamon

I didnot know about countries in and out under "Others"

Brgds

Mine was 36xxx

Thanks Ansat, mine is 38xxx so 2000 +- applications still to go  :(

Ansat wrote:

Mine was 36xxx

Great news it has started to move again - hoping for the best in the next few months! Will keep you updated if I hear anything from my agent!

Good thing is that it has started moving....so it should hopefully be a matter of time to get to 38 series

Hope so, and thx for the good wishes. The Task Force seems to be working per my Agent

Keep us posted on how your arrangements post approval develop, this will help others coming after you

Cheers

Ansat wrote:

Good thing is that it has started moving....so it should hopefully be a matter of time to get to 38 series

I've submitted my mm2h visa application about two months ago.
I see that you all seem to have some number assigned to your applications like 38xxx.
May I ask when/how you got your numbers assigned to you?
How long it took you to get the number?
Is there a name you refer to the number?

Thanks much
Cflat11

Given the backlog, it matters very little when you get a reference number. The processing will continue at a realistic speed according to the volume of applications. So nobody can answer your question.

There are at least 3000 applications in front of yours. Although I did read that more than 800 applications made in 2018 had been removed from processing presumably because they did not qualify.

Basically if there is a glut of applications approval rate slows down.

This is because turn-around time is not considered important.

The system chugs along at whatever pace is attainable. It is not a performance based system.

Now I begin to somewhat understand how mm2h approval process works.
I didn't even know what those numbers, i.e. 38xxx, were or meant.  Now I see  that those are the actual Reference Numbers.  Because I don't have any number assigned to me yet, I was just too anxious and jumpy.
Thanks for your good advice.
Ciao

Just for the records I got my reference # directly from an email address [email protected] about a week after my Agent submitted my application back in August.
The Reference topic for the email was Application submission and my passport Nr.

This took place last year so I don't know if they have changed the procedures now.

Then you can follow up here about the Status of your application

http://mm2honline.motac.gov.my

cflat11 wrote:

Now I begin to somewhat understand how mm2h approval process works.
I didn't even know what those numbers, i.e. 38xxx, were or meant.  Now I see  that those are the actual Reference Numbers.  Because I don't have any number assigned to me yet, I was just too anxious and jumpy.
Thanks for your good advice.
Ciao

My number is 41xxx  so I've got a bit of a way to go

Got it.
I am dying to find out what number I'll be assigned.
Hope I get the visa sometime this year.
The whole process appears painstakingly slow. 
Good luck to you. Thanks.

When you applied with 41xxx number. Thanks

I got #415XX which my agent submitted about 2 weeks ago.

I envy you folks. 
It seems things are working out for you text book perfect.
Agents do play important role, it shows.

applied in late February...got the confirmation letter on 12th of March

That's fantastic. 
I assume you do have an agent working for you. 
I wish I did the same instead of doing it myself.

cflat11 wrote:

I've submitted my mm2h visa application about two months ago.
How long it took you to get the number?

We submitted an application on-line at the end of May and sent our documents the same day. We've got an email from the MM2H office in 3 days asking to send one more document. We sent it to them and got a reference number in one week.

They replied promptly via email ([email protected]). Please check your spam box. You can also contact them on the status at  [email protected]

10 months of waiting and still "pending approval". But we don't care any more about MM2H in the peninsula, because we just received MM2H approval in Sabah in 1.5 months after application. Very happy about it and and we are moving there.

Zebras9294 wrote:

- Do you mean by mail or email?

Got it by email via our Agent

expat000 wrote:

10 months of waiting and still "pending approval". But we don't care any more about MM2H in the peninsula, because we just received MM2H approval in Sabah in 1.5 months after application.

This seems to be about the same length of time as in the Sarawak MM2H.

Zebras9294 wrote:

cflat11 wrote:

I assume you do have an agent working for you.  I wish I did the same instead of doing it myself.

We applied on-line and got the ref. number in one week after the agency received our documents.
Did you try doing what I suggested?-

expat000 wrote:

They replied promptly via email ([email protected]).
1) Please check your spam box.
2) You can also contact them on the status at  [email protected]

When did the agency receive your documents? (It can be checked in the status of your courier.)

Mm2h center received my paperwork on Feb 22nd (courier receipt).
Since then I have not received any mail/email/text whatsoever from anyone.
I check my mailbox everyday (including spams) but nothing, yet.
I've sent an email to them (motac) about 3 weeks ago for a possible status check.  No news from them.
I've checked my application status from the mm2h official website using my name and passport number.
The result is “Not found”.
So I begin to think that if you do it yourself without using agents then your application goes to the bottom pole as if they don't really care about yours.
If I am right about it, it's disappointing but there's nothing I can do about it.  Hope I am wrong.
I have to go along with their game plan.
Thanks

R   E   L  A  X  ! ! ! !    Here is what Alter Domus provided as mostly standard disclaimer stuff but worth mentioning:

Based on our experience, there should not be any problem. There will be no communication between us and them as they will have a "news blackout" until the meeting is over. So, "no news is good news". If they need any additional documents, they will notify us and we will get it from you.

And,

We advise that you try not to chase for the approval because (whether superstition or Murphy's Law), those who keep on chasing are the ones who are "skipped". Those who are not rushing for the approval got it very quickly. We have encountered many cases like this.

Frankly, I got enough stuff going on here that yeah I ain't gonna worry about it until I really have to.  I still haven't finished my taxes yet!!!!

VWC

cflat11 wrote:

The result is “Not found”.
So I begin to think that if you do it yourself without using agents then your application goes to the bottom pole as if they don't really care about yours.
If I am right about it, it's disappointing but there's nothing I can do about it.  Hope I am wrong.

There is no evidence for such assumption since many-many applicants filed on-line without problems. Also, agents file on-line too, just through a different link. I would recommend to email again with your tracking number for your documents.
Please also call this number: +603-8891 7422. Call at 9-12 am or 2-4 pm. I just called them and they responded to my question. They may suggest using a different email address to check  your status.

VWC wrote:

R   E   L  A  X  ! ! ! !

Yes, you can relax and wait for a year or more AFTER you receive a reference number, AFTER you are sure that they've got your documents.
How can you relax, if you are not sure if your documents are filed??

cflat11 - Just checking - you know for own application the process is part online (registration) and part offline (submit physical documents)?

You don't ever mention having registered.