MM2H: how long did it take for you?

Well, they aren't specific that the expense must be "in Malaysia" for several of the items. But you'd be taking a chance at denial. Maybe someone else has been able to get reimbursement in non-Malaysian medical expenses. I have just assumed that the goal was to get you to spend the money IN MALAYSIA.

Also note that it's reimbursement, not in advance of the expense/procedure.

I also thought that changing banks was not allowed except at renewal.

Thank you for your input Cinnamon

Maybe someone has already gone thru this, and can explain how it went. We are experiencing difficult times, so in a way , writing a new book on these kind of situations

Stay safe

Good day, questions for the fellow MM2Hs...

- Upon completion of 1st year of FD at Bank, in order to rollover it for another tenure (6 or 12 months), do I need a letter from Immigration/Ministry of Tourism addressed to the Bank allowing me to do so ? They are telling me that which I think it is wrong. If I am right is there any written regulation to back up my claim ? The paper I signed reads "Automatic rollover" but they are still denying that fact

- Is it possible to change original Bank chosen when originally enrolled for MM2H for another Bank after 1st year ? How is the procedure to do it ?

Thanks in advance

So the bank doesn't want your money? No wonder I don't like banks. If I could I would never use them.

Thanks Openmind..... it is actually far worse than that, they are keeping my money locked under a shady FD position at 0% !! and they are telling me that in order to roll it over for a new FD term, I need to uplift it, which is technically forbidden as any FD deposit is under Lien, and from there, re-deploy it to an FD....this doesn't make any sense as the money is already showing as a past due FD.... the only simple, plain, thing they need to do is roll it over from the FD position it is right now at whatever rate they will give me

Any ideas ?

Get a hold of someone in MM2H ask them how you can switch your fixed deposit to another bank and explain to them what they are doing.

What bank are you using? I used HSBC for my FD and the only way I was able to uplift it or to even touch it was with a letter from the Ministry of Education. Without that letter I was not allowed to touch the FD and it was a permanent FD without a time limit. Once I'd gotten the letter from the Ministry cancelling my MM2H then I showed it to the bank and was immediately able to uplift the FD. I would guess that without any letter from the Ministry that you would not be able to touch the FD at all. I would also guess that you'd need to be treated at a medical facility in Malaysia in order to make a partial withdrawal where it would be easy for the Ministry to verify.

Thanks Openmind, I am already in touch with my MM2H agent, let's see what she can do as I am out of the country under MCO restrictions, in any case, what a shame...

Thanks Shill for taking the time

I just want to roll it over, not to claim authorized expenses on the 50 K allowed after 1 yr placement, nor move it around, it is a very simple request to the Bank (CIMB), guys just renew my FD at the very same branch of the bank, I don't need any uplifting or money withdrawal I guess, or else ?

Let's go to extremes, let's say every single year I put my 150 K for 3 months consecutive terms because I like the rates offered, should I ask for a letter from whichever Ministry to allow me to do that  every 3 months ? This doesn't make any sense, and whatever paper I signed reads clearly "Tenure: autorenewal for 10 years"

What I am missing here ?

I am out of the country due to MCO restrictions

Shill88 wrote:

What bank are you using? I used HSBC for my FD and the only way I was able to uplift it or to even touch it was with a letter from the Ministry of Education. Without that letter I was not allowed to touch the FD and it was a permanent FD without a time limit. Once I'd gotten the letter from the Ministry cancelling my MM2H then I showed it to the bank and was immediately able to uplift the FD. I would guess that without any letter from the Ministry that you would not be able to touch the FD at all. I would also guess that you'd need to be treated at a medical facility in Malaysia in order to make a partial withdrawal where it would be easy for the Ministry to verify.

My MM2H FD was either automatically rolled over or continuous. It was only ended when I gave the bank the letter from the Ministry of Tourism without which I could not have touched the funds. So actually I'm surprised that it is not being rolled over automatically.

Me too Shill, I just can't understand how they proceeded like this, the wording on the letter at MM2H opening of account time is clear, the rollover is automatic at whichever rate you negotiate at the end of each tenure

Will see what my agent can do as I am unable to return due to MCO regulations

Thanks for your help

Now mm2h postpone until further notice.

Yes MM2H suspended but I dont know if that freezes existing applications or not. I follow Nomad Capitalist since ages and he just did a YT video update of Philippines suspension of their "MM2H" and included info about Malaysia as well. Its not Covid causing the reviews but in the case of Philippines the citizens are extremely angry at what they call abuses by foreigners under the program. Expect a number of changes. Since Malaysia is in the ASEAN group, they tend to mimic each others policies on a leapfrog basis.

The general tide or theme or posture is that accommodation of foreigners is progressively less favorable as time goes on. What I see from various people and venues is that while the govts may not change an expats original "contract," the ability to simply pull the plug on ones residency at any time remains the biggest fear. When someone has sold everything in the home country to make "MM2H" happen and the new country IS the primary home one must go to without choice, pulling the rug out suddenly can be devastating. Its my own opinion and nobody elses but i would think the person best served by any "MM2H" is one wealthy enough to maintain both the original AND foreign homes, just in case.

By the way, in response to a 2-year old post about expats, car insurance, accidents and IDP, I have had now, I think, eight accidents in Malaysia on my IDP and never once had any issue with any insurance company or police as a result of having an IDP as opposed to a local license. Im treated as well, or as badly, as anyone else. If people have any any issues, Id like to hear them.

I'm almost certain that if an application had been submitted, but not already approved, in the period of time up to the suspension, that they will required resubmission under the new rules.

There are three classes of applicants impacted by the Covid/Suspension situation.

1) Individuals that submitted their application, received notification that they had been approved (through email, letter, or announcement of the status of application website) BUT have NOT YET picked up their VISA. These people have a few months after the ending of the RMCO to contact the MM2H center and request an extension of completion to pay for the visa (and complete any additional conditions- health check, insurance, etc.) They will be on the old rules.

2) Individuals that submitted their application, were approved prior to the Suspension, but did not receive notification (through email, letter, or announcement of the status of application website) Obviously these people have  NOT YET picked up their VISA or completed any additional conditions. They need to contact MM2H ad find out if they had been approved.

3)  Individuals that submitted their application, were were NOT YET APPROVED prior to the Suspension. This category includes all those that had their applications sent back to their agents. The all applications "in process" that were not finalized by the committee were hit hard by the suspension. These will be required to resubmit their applications under whatever new rules and protocols are established.

Some agents are trying to tell their clients that their application is still good...but what they will do is resubmit the old application and hope that the amounts a criteria will also fulfill the new conditions. But they will also have to submit new documents showing the LAST three months of Salary, Pension, and updated assets statements. Clearly this will have to be a new application. They should be forthcoming and tell their client this. Nobody wants to lose a customer, especially when you have likely spent all the money deposited.

There may be a few applications that were submitted after the suspension of the MM2H. Since MM2H was not accepting/processing any new applications after the suspension these will have to resubmit as well - under whatever new conditions are established.

Hi Gravitas, I am very desperate to reach out to you for advice as I have seen you in many forums. Can i ask you something regarding special pass appeal?

if my special pass appeal was rejected by immigration, can i request the approval from KDN (Ministry of Home Affairs) instead?? Or what should i do? My status is now under an expired student pass because i was waiting my company to arrange for my ep application. And also i was told by the company that I first need to get my special pass before they can proceed to apply for my EP.. need your advice on this

Would appreciate it if you could help me..Thanks!!

Your applying EP category I,II or III? You need to submit appeal if your special pass can't approve by ESD you can go to Jalan Duta immigration for foreigner then you apply there. Make early to know what requirements you need to submit.

Ep3. My first appeal was lodged through MDEC. Can i even go to apply for the second appeal to ESD? What if i ask my employer to requwst the approval from KDN?