MM2H: how long did it take for you?

Peredak wrote:

According to my agent, there is a new batch of approvals issued late last week, I have just received my letter, application was on 12 Dec, Number 403xx.  Hope many more of you will hear soon!

Peredak
Congratulations!  Thanks for the update and additional insight.  I'm about 800 after ezfeelin so might be getting close.  All the best to you as you complete the process.

Well I should be hearing something soon. I was hoping they would take another month.
:( don't want to take daughter of school to get there in the next 6 months.
Assuming I get approved.

well, we heard from our agent, and it seems likely we will have the conditional letter soon.

here is part of what the agent wrote back to us:

With reference to the status of your application, last Wednesday, 30 Oct 2019, the Immigration just started releasing the approval letters to us for those processed in Meeting No. 7/2019.
We checked with the Immigration, your application was processed in Meeting No. 8/2019 and the Immigration has not released approval letters  for this Meeting yet.

In view of over 2000+ approvals to be released for Meetings no. 7, 8 9 & 10, the Immigration can only release the approvals in batches.
Please give me your friend's number so that I can check with him which officer told him that your approval letter is ready for collection?

We visit the MM2H office every other day, if your MM2H approval letter is ready, the immigration officer will give the letter to us.

Looks good to us as we plan to be in K.L. in January for the balance of the requirements such as the bank opening, medical test and insurance (waiver) in our case.

ez

Has anyone completed the final requirements of the conditional letter of approval.

1. Medical Exam (our agent will arrange)
2  Insurance waiver (our agent will arrange as I am 67 years old)
3. Bank:
    Agent will suggest which bank to use as most banks dont want to deal with american passport
    holders.   We need the following:
    1.  Joint savings account in Ringgit
         (not sure if we will also get Joint checking account in RM with checkbook).
    2.  Joint foreign currency savings account in U.S. dollars
    3.  Credit or Debit Card  (like the ones we have in Thailand currently.  We put up fixed deposit for a
          certain amount of Thai Baht and they issued us a Visa and  Mastercard with limit of what we
          have as fixed deposit.
     4.  Internet banking facilities.

Does anyone have any idea when opening bank accounts initially with the conditional letter of approval, how much cash Ringgit and how much cash u.s. dollars i can put into our regular savings RM and foreign currency account?  And how much daily RM can i deposit into my savings RM account if we have money left over when we leave malaysia in our initial visits.

Any answers are appreciated.

ez

I would just ask your agent. Mine gave me only 2 banks will deal
With Americans CIMB and HSBC
He said he can
open the bank account for me I can then fund it from here and then he can clean it out. Just joking!
I am wondering when we have to fund it before the visa approval I imagine?

1openmind wrote:

I would just ask your agent. Mine gave me only 2 banks will deal
With Americans CIMB and HSBC
He said he can
open the bank account for me I can then fund it from here and then he can clean it out. Just joking!
I am wondering when we have to fund it before the visa approval I imagine?

I wont deal with HSBC as had bad experiences with them in HK.  So it will be CIMB i guess, depending on what the agent suggests.
I was told that your agent cannot open the bank account for you, you have to be physically present with your conditional letter of approval to open the accounts.  Process is to open the RM account, then transfer enough money into it so you can open the FD.  Get the bank confirmation of the FD.
Then medical checkup and insurance, then go to the mm2h office to get the visa stamped in your passport.   lets see if it works the way i was told.

ez

Welll my agent says he can! And if you knew all that already why did you even ask?

sorry i didnt mean to offend you, you seem bent out of shape over a comment i made
like " i was told an agent cant open the account"  by my agent.

I apologize and lets forget it, and no need for me to respond to your posts.

ez

ezfeelin wrote:

Does anyone have any idea when opening bank accounts initially with the conditional letter of approval, how much cash Ringgit and how much cash u.s. dollars i can put into our regular savings RM and foreign currency account?  And how much daily RM can i deposit into my savings RM account if we have money left over when we leave malaysia in our initial visits.

ez

All banks will require that you fill out a FATCA document for foreign account reporting to the IRS.  This is now pretty standard even if you don't actually have large amounts of cash in the account.  "FATCA requires any non-U.S. bank to report accounts held by American citizens worth over $50,000 or else be subject to 30% withholding penalties and possible exclusion from U.S. markets. By mid-2015, more than 100,000 foreign entities had agreed to share financial information with the IRS."

All U.S. taxpayers with offshore accounts totaling more than $10,000 also need to electronically fill out the new Financial Crimes Enforcement Network (FinCEN) Form 114, also titled FBAR.

So if your accounts exceed @RM40,000 in total you'll have to report. But that doesn't limit how much you can PUT in.

Since you will have already placed quantities into accounts that have to report  to the US government (IRS) it should be no issue establishing subsidiary accounts. There is no limit regulating how much one can take out of US accounts and place abroad...it is a REPORTING requirement for tax purposes. The amount of interest received will also be reported back to the IRS. The US is a dual tax nation (unless there is a tax-treaty...there is none with Malaysia). But there are large (at least to Middle Class folks) credits and exclusions available for foreign earnings. So it might make sense to establish tax residency if you want to take advantage of these deductions.

Some helpful hints.
1) Since you are allowed approved withdrawals for health care needs, children's education, property purchase, etc. you may find it useful to establish several FD's at various levels (RM5000, RM10,000, RM 25000 and even some odd amounts RM7000, RM 13000). Why? Because when you request a withdrawal it is easier it seems to remove an entire unit rather than the large unit and then resubmit.

2) Establish a second savings account for the interest that accrues from your fixed deposit. Unless you want that interest inaccessible for use for the decade term of your visa, that is.

Tax on the interest on your accounts appears to be tax exempt with Malaysia.

"Income in respect of interest received by individuals resident in Malaysia from money deposited with the following institutions is tax exempt with effect from 30 August 2008:
A bank or a finance company licensed or deemed to be licensed under the Banking and Financial Institutions Act 1989;
A bank licensed under the Islamic Banking Act 1983..."

Hi Guys;
I just signed up for this Blog. Today Nov. 07, 2019, I got email from MM2H stating my Application was Approved on Oct. 29 and I must correct it in person at the MM2H center near KUL. I have asked them to email a copy, they replied;
""The Approval Letter will not be emailed or mailed to your house in USA. You have to come and collect your Approval Letter at the MM2H Immigration Unit​, then you can proceed with the bank account, medical check up and etc.""

I have Applied Directly without Agent... Why waste money  :)
Application Mailed on Dec. 28, 2018 from USA.
Confirmed Received by MM2H Office on Jan. 23, 2019.
Checked/rechecked twice and finally MM2H Verified as complete Application on April 08, 2019.
Application MM2H Reference Number 42xxx Issued April 08, 2019.
They did not tell me which Committee Approval Meeting the process was done. Online still say "waiting For Committee Approval".
Hope this will help others.

Sindebad...You may have to apply for a visa at a Malaysian consulate or embassy Consulate to avoid the RM520 Journey Performed fee. Show them a copy of the Internet approval letter.

Or contact the MM2H office and ask them about whether the email will be sufficient to receive a short term visa upon entry to avoid the Journey Performed fee.

I have USA Passport, no Visa is required, I get 90 days Visa at Airport

That's not a visa for the purpose of obtaining a MM2H pass. That's a Tourist PASS.

Cinnamonape; Thanks Guy, What type of Visa should ask at the airport... social Visa? I only have email from MM2H saying my Application is Approved. They did not attached the Approval Letter to email

Per my agent for MM2H

NOTE: E-VISA WILL NOT BE ACCEPTABLE, either get a regular tourist visa, visa on arrival or its fine if you don't require visa to enter.

I don't want to pay that extra fee either.

My understanding is that only Commonwealth (some - but not India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Nepal,Nigeria and Ghana) , Dutch, and Swiss citizens do not require a Visa in order to obtain a long-term visa. So unless they obtain a short-tern social visa they have to cough up another RM520. I did...and was told that I needed to obtain a visa outside of Malaysia.

Maybe some non-Commonwealth folks can offer advice or experiences on this rather arcane and hidden fee.

Just want to share with the group.  I received acknowledgement email about my application 39xxx back in Oct 9, 2018.  I just received an email for the approval via email last night.  So, it took 1 year 1 month total.  I did everything myself without any agent as it was not too hard; just a lot of paper that I had to send to them.  So, don't be discourage if you have waited more than 1 year.

I am going to KL beginning of January to collect it and complete the process.  I always welcome any suggestion for a smoother journey.

Thank you

finally got an answer from my agent, good news.
now we plan to be in K.L. sometime in January to open bank account.

ez

email from agent:

I am also pleased to inform you that the Immigration has informed us that they are releasing the approvals for Meeting no. 8 in batches and we were told to collect the approval letters for Meeting no. 8 on coming Monday. 

Right after we obtain your MM2H approval letter, I will email you a copy and all the details on how to complete the Stage-2 formalities accordingly.

iinedwin and others;

I have summarized several emails to MM2H Center/Their Replied on Nov. 07 & 08, 2019

Salam and Good Morning, Sorry to bother you again;

I am told by others that the Approval Letter outlines how to complete what is call “Stage-2 formalities” and may requires updating some documents that was already included in the Original Application.

So without known what is stated in the Approval Letter, I am afraid after my arrival to Malaysia and collecting the Approval letter, I find out I am missing some documents.

Just to be 100% Clear

Step 1: I come in at the MM2H Immigration Unit, Level 10, Ministry of Tourism, Arts and Culture Malaysia to collect My Approval Letter only. That will take 1 day.
Step 2: I complete the following remaining documents in Johor or KL as I wish;
A. Bank Account, Original Fixed Deposit Certificates, Original Bank Lien Letter for Fixed Deposit?
B. Medical Checkup/ MM2H RBII Medical Report Form.
C. Health/Medical Insurance Policy.
D. Security Bond (Direct Application Only). Maybe this is done in KL or your Office Building?

After I come back and submit the above Documents to process the endorsements of the MM2H Social Visit Pass which is the same as the Final MM2H Passport Stamp? That will take another 1 day.

I enter Malaysia with the normal 90 days Tourist Visa for USA Passport Holders obtained at the Airport and not with a Special Journey Performed Visa?

Are the Above steps right?

They replied as follows;

Dear Sir,

Yes it is. The steps are right. You can do the Security Bond (Direct Application Only) at Inland Revenue Board of Malaysia, Cyberjaya (MYR10 for stamping)

As you know, you MUST BE PRESENT at the MM2H Immigration Unit, Level 10, Ministry of Tourism, Arts and Culture Malaysia to collect your Approval Letter and do the endorsements of the MM2H Social Visit Pass. It will take 1 day to collect your Approval Letter and another 1 day to process for the endorsements of the MM2H Social Visit Pass if only the submitted remaining documents is completed.

Office hour starts at 7.30 am until 4.30 pm. But you need to get the ticket number early because it will be a long line and if you late. My advice, you should come early morning at 6.30am?. It will take 1 day to collect the Approval Letter and do the endorsement of the MM2H Social Visit Pass.? Please bring along your passport.

For your information also, Journey Performed Visa for USA Passport Holders will be free. You only need to pay for Social Visit Pass Fee 900.00MYR and Security Bond 2,000.00MYR for 10 years.

NURHAFIZAH BINTI JAMALLUDIN
Malaysia My Second Home Centre (MM2H),
Ministry of Tourism, Arts and Culture Malaysia
Level 1, No.2, Menara 1,
Jalan P5/6, Precint 5,
62200 Putrajaya

For those of you who used an agent was the bond cost included in the agents fee?

Sounds like you are all clear to go then. I guess they've decided to waive the JP fee for the USA. That's good news.

Note that one has to notify MM2H when you terminate the program and that allows one to withdraw the Fixed Account . I have no idea what happens if you don't notice them...maybe have to wait the full term of the FD?

Also you can get a refund of the security deposit when you leave the program.

The procedure is here.

http://www.mm2h.gov.my/index.php/en/app … ticipation

Moderated by Priscilla 4 years ago
Reason : no advertising please
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

I did My application Directly and I will have to pay 2000 RM for USA Passport. My understanding is the Agent Fee includes the Security Bond Cost, because actually the Agent is not required to pay any Bond Cost since the Agent is your sponsor while you are in Malaysia.

Hi DTrader,

What app number did you have?  That bit of information would be good to get a sense of where we are in the queue.  Thank you and Congratulations!

V

CIMB bank fixed deposit rate for mm2h anyone know what the current rate is?

408xx mine was approved on 10-22 written on it.
Notified on 10-31

Thanks, 1openmind, for updating us with your application number.  Perhaps less than a thousand to go for me...

My Application no was 414XX. I can be reached on whatsup ****
Applied directly without agent. Submitted End Feb. Apparently the meeting where the approval occurred was in August 2019 and letters issued was 29th October 2019.

From the looks of things, its speeding up and its a good time to apply for qualified participants.
I will be glad to help with any other queries members here have.

Cheers
dan

Moderated by Diksha 4 years ago
Reason : Please do not post your contact details on the forum for security reasons.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

My Direct Application # 420XX also Approved on October 29, 2019 and Approval email sent on November 07, 2019. It seems MM2H was holding back over 1000 approvals from the last 4 meetings and they decided to release them at once. Welcome to Red Tape Process :D

Dan; how you know your Approval occurred during August, 2019. My Approval email only say Approved on Oct 29, 2019 and they did not attached copy of the Approval Letter.
Thanks

Thanks for that, Sinebad.  I better reach out to my agent then since my number falls in there before yours.  Hate to miss the party in Malaysia...

Many thanks to all people who advice the others about MM2H on this site. My application number is 399xx and it is approved on 29/10/2019. I wish the same for the others. I applied late November 2018 and directly (without agent)….about a year to approve.
Now, I am planning for medical insurance, doing security bond and the difficult step, fixed deposit.
I heard and read on media, the Malaysian banks blocked or closed the bank accounts of Iranians in Malaysia. I want to do the fixed deposit in Maybank because it is the main bank, but I should write to them and ask about the blocking matter. If it is true, then it is a bigggggg problem.
For medical insurance, till now, Tokio Marine, offers the best rate under the "Medic Plus Insurance"
plan (56 to 60 years old….RM556  and for 51 to 55 years old just RM467 annually).

Hi all, I'm getting my stuff ready to apply for the mm2h, but was wondering about the liquid assets/income certified copies. For the liquid assets (500 rm equivalent), do I just go to my branch and have them print out the statement and chop it with whatever they have there, or they required a specific certification from corporate headquarters, etc?

For certified payslip, do I get my employer to certify it or I certify it at my embassy?

Thanks

clstrife wrote:

. For the liquid assets (500 rm equivalent), do I just go to my branch and have them print out the statement and chop it with whatever they have there

Yes.

clstrife wrote:

For certified payslip, do I get my employer to certify it

Yes.

In both these cases the documents would actually be considered "original documents" from the bank and not copies.

Hello Friends,
Can you please share your banking experience with Public Bank Berhad interms of online banking , FD rates, customer support etc as I am planning to open the Fixed Deposit account with them for my MM2H requirement .
Thanks
GNorman

@Gary
I use Public Bank for FD and everyday banking. They're fine. My FD rate is okay, at 3.35%. I could have got a slightly better deal if I'd shopped around, but I was in a hurry and the manager opened my account extra fast to help me out.
Their internet banking website is easy to use, though I think security could be tighter. The number of branches here in Kl is not as high as Maybank or CIMB, but I rarely have to go to bank, so it's not an issue.

Thanks to everyone here for sharing their experiences and advice. Another data point for a direct application:

1. Applied early November 2018. Application number 39xxx. Check N'Track status changed to 'pending committee approval' sometime in early 2019.

2. I called MM2H Centre in August 2019 to enquire on status, and I was advised the committee had approved and they were awaiting Home Affairs approval (the new step they added this year). Seems they cleared one backlog only to create another.

3. I called MM2H Centre again in early November 2019 after reading about many approvals here. I was advised that my application was approved. They confirmed they are not sending approval letters by email or post; direct applicants must collect in person.

4. A week after my call, I received email notification from MM2H Centre staff about the approval. It says "You may wish to collect this approval letter at the Immigration Unit..." A couple of days after that, I received an automated email from CheckN'Track that says "For direct application, you will receive your MM2H Conditional Approval Letter soon from the Immigration Unit (MM2H)." Apparently nobody updated the automated email template when they stopped sending approval letters to direct applicants.

5. I collected my approval letter in person from the MM2H Centre Immigration Unit (Level 10). The letter was dated October 2019, and it refers to meeting 07/2019 dated 16.05.2019. They provide a packet with the approval letter that contains additional info about the next steps: it includes a sample security bond form showing how to fill the (confusing) blanks, a sample letter from a bank about the Fixed Deposit (confirming amount and lien), and some info about insurance. I'll post more on the main MM2H thread in case it's useful to anyone.

6. Advice about arriving early at the MM2H Centre remains valid, but it may not be necessary for collecting approval letters. My experience: at 6:30am there were agents and 2 other direct applicants waiting outside (there are chairs provided). At approximately 7am they opened the building doors, and direct applicants formed an informal queue at the security counter in the lobby. At approximately 7:30am, building security allowed direct applicants to sign in via a single visitor logbook (name, contact info, etc). After signing in, we took the lifts to level 10 for the MM2H Centre Immigration Unit. Inside (through the entry doors and to the left) they have a queue number machine with a staff member dispensing the actual queue number slips (pre-printed and laid out on the table). It appears the agents don't have to sign in with building security, as they were already upstairs and had taken the earliest queue numbers. At 8:00am, MM2H officers began serving the queue numbers.

7. After collecting my queue number, a friendly agent overheard that I was there to collect my approval letter. He suggested that I didn't need to queue, and I could just catch one of the officers to request my letter. I approached one of the windows before the officer called a new queue number, and he said no problem. I gave him a printout of the email about my approval (it contains the application number), and he passed it to his colleague. A few minutes later, she appeared with the approval letter, and the officer went through it with me briefly. He was also happy to answer a few questions I had. I left the office by 8:30am.

1openmind wrote:

CIMB bank fixed deposit rate for mm2h anyone know what the current rate is?

408xx mine was approved on 10-22 written on it.
Notified on 10-31

A CIMB branch in Johor told me 3.8% by phone last week, but I have not opened the FD yet, so I can't be sure that is a real rate.

FuzzyLogiche wrote:

Thanks to everyone here for sharing their experiences and advice.

Thanks for sharing [at]FuzzyLogiche! I try to remember it when I'm theoretically in the same situation in about 10 month...

Dear Fuzzylogiche,

Thank you so much for sharing information about collecting approval letter. I am an approved direct applicant and have to do the same. If you find anything new for medical insurance, I will be appreciate to receive it. I don't want to stay in Malaysia after I get MM2H visa, so, need a cheap medical insurance. Tokio Marine send me " Medic Plus" plan but I'm not sure it is accepted by MM2H office.

Happy to share my experiences!

@Superman911 about medical insurance, it appears any policy you buy in Malaysia will be fine.

In the info packet they provided with my approval letter, there is a "Guidelines for MM2H Program" sheet that explains the remaining steps. About insurance, it says this:

"Visit any insurance company in Malaysia and purchase a medical insurance for applicant and dependents. If you already possessed a medical insurance, make sure the policy covers worldwide/international and still valid (coverage not less than 12 month). The terms worldwide/international shall mention in the insurance policy. Any amount of medical insurance is acceptable. You can put on one insurance policy or separate, as long as everybody is covered."

Then the second step, about submitting documents to MM2H centre includes this: "Original and copy of medical insurance (applicant and dependents) including insurance policy/receipt of payment/letter from the insurance company – compulsory for applicant/dependents age below 60 years old and optional for applicant/dependents over 60 years old."

There is some discussion about insurance providers on the main MM2H thread (https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.p … 0&p=15) starting at post #574.