MM2H: if your spouse dies

cinnamonape wrote:

the 7:3 ratio. Why is this important?
In the case of divorce or death? But wouldn't this mean the transfer would require a new showing of income?

___________________________________________________________________________________
ANSWER from MM2H office:
Yes, MM2H Visa can transfer to the spouse but the spouse must be MM2H participant too. The spouse also needs to meet the financial requirement.

FATIN HASYIFA MOHD JOHARI
Malaysia My Second Home Centre (MM2H)
Ministry of Tourism, Arts and Culture Malaysia
Level 1, No. 2, Tower 1,
Jalan P5/6, Precinct 5,
62200 PUTRAJAYA
MALAYSIAThe spouse also needs to meet the financial requirement.

No Tel  : 03-8891 7424
No Fax : 03-8891 7415
[email protected]

_____________________________________________________________________________________

So if your spouse dies and you don't have  RN10,000/month anymore, you can't renew your MM2H. I guess if your spouse dies, you can still finish your 10-year stay in Malaysia.

The passing of the Principle will make Dependent Pass Nul and Void

http://www.mm2h.gov.my/index.php/en/lis … e-3-months

Gravitas wrote:

The passing of the Principle will make Dependent Pass Nul and Void

http://www.mm2h.gov.my/index.php/en/lis … e-3-months

Thank you for the link. Quite important to know:
"MM2H Immigration Unit will no longer accept Change-of-Principal application if the death is not reported within three (3) months effective"

I was wrong in my assumption-

expat000 wrote:

I guess if your spouse dies, you can still finish your 10-year stay in Malaysia.

Actually it's a bit more complicated when one changes principal.

Under the FD option there is apparently no requirement to show income levels...BUT under the Pension option there is a requirement to show a continuing pension of RM10,000.

Or is establishing the income component somewhere hidden in the application materials for the FD? Maybe I'm missing it?

http://www.mm2h.gov.my/images/pdf/check … 20mm2h.pdf

cinnamonape wrote:

Under the FD option there is apparently no requirement to show income levels...BUT under the Pension option there is a requirement to show a continuing pension of RM10,000.

I am confused about these two options. Are there still two options to apply:
Option 1-Fixed deposit and Option 2- RM10,000/month?

According to http://www.mm2h.gov.my/index.php/en/hom … conditions
"Applicants aged 50 and above may comply with the financial proof of RM350,000 in liquid assets and off shore income of RM10,000 per month. "
It sounds that you've got to do both, FD and RM10,000/month.

Previously having a *government* pension of at least RM10k per month  was one option to QUALIFY for peninsular Mm2h and AVOID placing a FD.

That route was stopped so everyone now needs to qualify with a proven strong financial income (minimum 10k) AND place a FD.

Proven - meaning for peninsular Mm2h documents have to be shown to support the required income level (10k).

To get initial approval there is no income -OR- FD on peninsular Mm2h

It's income -AND- opening a FD

There will be people still on the programme who qualified under the government pension route and have no FD.

It's how grandfathering works.

Under the FD option the required income level was already met at the qualification stage so approval was based on regular primary income. That is also grandfathered

The note about change of principal on death seems to indicate that if the death of the Principal is not reported within 3 months then it will no longer fall under the CHANGE rules (so will require a new approval).

I know some people who have fallen foul of this rule and others that have also not been able to continue on the government pension approval route because they could not themselves continue to show a 10k income once their spouse (principal) died.

I personally think that is one reason why the government pension route was stopped ie on humane grounds.

The other reason was to consolidate the income the country receives via mm2h from FDs (this came into force at a time when there were huge outflows of MYR)

One problem with this reporting time frame ("within three months") is that even when a pension has spousal /dependent benefits that continue when the recipient dies (or spousal/dependent support  when there is a divorce) it usually is a protracted process to obtain them. 

One also has to report the death or divorce to the homeland government authorities and the switchover are documentation of the new income stream may take several months. When it does "kick in" thee is often some amount reduced in the first few months to cover the over-payment of benefits before the change-over occurred.

So while the "new principal" may have bank statements showing income sufficient to maintain the RM10K level for a time, the next quarter or year may have lower payments, and then it will rise again.

Yes best to apply at peak income time frame. For example UK gives Widows Allowance for 12 months. As long as the motivation letter explains the various credits to the bank account they seem content especially as tax status at such time is also unresolved with heavy deductions due to emergency tax being deducted. Just explain carefully.

Good discussion. Thank you for clarifying this.