MM2H: how long did it take for you?

Fuzzylogiche,

Thank you very very much for your advice and the link.

Can anyone tell me what number is being processed?
My mm2h number is in 420xx.
I am dying to know if I am being close to hear from them, MOTAC, anytime soon?
It's been 9 months since my mm2h number had been issued.
Is the process going ‘normal' or has it been delayed?..
Thanks much!

cflat11 wrote:

Can anyone tell me what number is being processed?
My mm2h number is in 420xx.
I am dying to know if I am being close to hear from them, MOTAC, anytime soon?
It's been 9 months since my mm2h number had been issued.
Is the process going ‘normal' or has it been delayed?..
Thanks much!

See post 627 and 628 on this list. These suggest that you should be notified soon, however the Departments seem to move in fits and starts often waiting months before completing a batch.

How do you navigate to find post numbers like 627?
I can't seem to find it.
Thanks

Simple. You see the numbers  <<  < 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 > >>  below my response?   Click on 16 which will take you to the previous page  look at the upper right hand corner for the response numbers. EG.

"cflat11  Yesterday  07:22:49    ! Report    #644"

APPROVED
I began my application process for MM2H in December 2018.  We were notified of an application number in May 2019.  Today we received our notification of approval via email.  We applied directly.  Our application number is in the 42,5xx range.

We received approval today.  Number 42,5xx.

Congrats to the approvals when will you guys do the final steps?

Finally, last day of 2019, received email from mm2h said my application Approved. What a long wait, almost 12 moths for me. ( direct applicant)

Applied in mid jan 2019, but in  May 2019, ask me to resubmit my letter of good conduct, because the one I submitted was out of date.

Then in September 2019, they sent me another email asking for pension verification letter, l called and explained I have no pension, only 401k, and told them that is my pension, and they accepted my explanation and no docs need to submit.

Also, they asked what visa I am holding as my address in my application form was in Malaysia. I told them I am holding tourists visa and rent apartment in KL.
( they accepted my explanation and told they will process)

And today, 31 dec 2019. Approved.

Can anyone help on how to fill up the personal security bond form .?

Surprisingly, the Mm2h website, check n track already undated approved today too.

Calvin1977 wrote:

There should be an example filled form in the info pack you receive when you pick up your approval letter. I posted the contents last month in the main "Malaysia My Second Home (MM2H)" thread, post #712 on page 18 of that thread. This direct link should take you there:
https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.p … 18#4734945

Congratulations on your recent approvals, Bounder and Calvin1977!

FuzzyLogiche wrote:
Calvin1977 wrote:

There should be an example filled form in the info pack you receive when you pick up your approval letter. I posted the contents last month in the main "Malaysia My Second Home (MM2H)" thread, post #712 on page 18 of that thread. This direct link should take you there:
https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.p … 18#4734945

Congratulations on your recent approvals, Bounder and Calvin1977!

Thanks for the info.

Happy new year .

Calvin1977:
Congrats for your application already approved by now! Do they really update their Check N' Track page these days? It's great. Thanks for the information.

Congratulations Calvin1977 and bounder (and anyone else I might have missed)!!!!

Since my app number is in the 415xx range, I was starting to get semi worried as to why nothing from my agent AD.  Granted, I am still busy working so this process is not exactly on my mind like it may be for folks really closer to retirement.  Anyways, I just went into the Check N Track page and voila, I AM APPROVED!!!!  Cool!!!  Hmm, so much for using the premier agent AD....  They will be getting a semi nasty email from me shortly....

Thanks to all of the regular contributors like Gravitas and cinnamonape!!!!  Your help has been truly priceless.  I mean it, and I hope one day I get a chance to buy you a nice dinner in Malaysia.

Happy New Year All!!!!

just received an email 15 mins ago saying my MM2H application has been approved!
I applied thru agent and submitted on 25 Jul 2019, ref number 437xx

Nice congrats and Happy New Year!

Hello,

I just got my MM2H conditional approval. I applied by myself late June, and got reference number mid Jul, which is in 434xx batch.

May I consult friends here who went through the direct application. So far I know that I need to go to the MM2H center to collect the conditional approval letter. But I am not sure whether I can complete the rest of the process in one trip.

I am a Hong Kong passport holder, which allow me to visit Malaysia visa-free. But I learnt from some sharing online that a journey performed visa is needed instead. Can someone help to teach me how it works, and where I can get the correct entry visa?

Besides, I intend to transfer the required fund via HSBC Global Transfer as I have account with the bank in Hong Kong. Anyone who has such experience to share, and any referral for the banks contact in KL, so that I can approach them first before my journey to get more prepared?

Finally, I just want to buy a basic medical insurance to fulfill the requirement. Any suggestion or referral?

Thank you all!

For Insurance you can check out these 2 Progressive SND BHD
And Tokio Marine.  Progressive has 5 tiers. Choose the one that fits.

Dear Fuzzylogich,

I checked the place of MM2H center. It is far from Kuala Lumpur. Sorry to ask, but how is the public transportation there? I think I can use the Grab (internet taxi service) from KL to MM2H but what about going from MM2H to KL? Any taxi services?

I will be thankful to receive your advice.

You should have no trouble getting a taxi or grab car there in KL. Unless it's raining heavy at rush.

Zigfrit wrote:

Dear Fuzzylogich,

I checked the place of MM2H center. It is far from Kuala Lumpur. Sorry to ask, but how is the public transportation there? I think I can use the Grab (internet taxi service) from KL to MM2H but what about going from MM2H to KL? Any taxi services?

I haven't been there, but it's in Putrajaya, right? Just get a KL Transit train from KL Sentral to Putrajaya and then Grab/taxi to the MM2H office.

1openmind and cobolin,

many thanks for your advice. it's really helpful.

ericsbwong wrote:

May I consult friends here who went through the direct application. So far I know that I need to go to the MM2H center to collect the conditional approval letter. But I am not sure whether I can complete the rest of the process in one trip.

I am a Hong Kong passport holder, which allow me to visit Malaysia visa-free. But I learnt from some sharing online that a journey performed visa is needed instead. Can someone help to teach me how it works, and where I can get the correct entry visa?

Besides, I intend to transfer the required fund via HSBC Global Transfer as I have account with the bank in Hong Kong. Anyone who has such experience to share, and any referral for the banks contact in KL, so that I can approach them first before my journey to get more prepared?

Congratulations on your approval, and the same to others with recent approvals!

About journey performed visa fee, and getting a single-entry visa in advance to avoid it: I don't know if JPV fee applies to HK passports. You can call MM2H centre immigration unit, and they should be able to advise you. It did not apply to my passport, so I am not sure how to get the single-entry visa if you do need one to avoid a JPV fee. You can email MM2H centre, but they seem to take a very long time to answer emails.

In my experience, the FD/bank process will take the longest. The medical check and security bond form stamping can both be done within a few hours. If your trip will be at least several days, or better a week to be safe, and you arrange in advance with the bank, then you can probably do everything in one trip.

Are you HSBC Premier in HK? If so, they should assist with opening a regular (savings) account at HSBC Malaysia and introduce you to a RM at your chosen branch. The RM should be able to prepare everything for you (including the FD application forms), knowing your timeline. You walk in with your MM2H approval letter, sign documents, transfer funds (if not already done), they set up the FDs using funds in your savings account, and they prepare the lien letter and FD certificates.

If you are not HSBC Premier in HK but under age 50, your RM300,000 FD will make you HSBC Premier in Malaysia. You can call the HSBC Malaysia Premier call centre (overseas number, e.g. via skype credit) and ask them to have a RM from your chosen branch contact you.

If you are over age 50 and will be placing a RM150,000 FD, then I don't know... you can still ask HSBC HK for their advice, or call the regular HSBC Malaysia call centre and try to get someone at your chosen branch to contact you. Maybe another member here has experience with HSBC in KL and can recommend an in-branch contact to you.

Cobolin wrote:
Zigfrit wrote:

Dear Fuzzylogich,

I haven't been there, but it's in Putrajaya, right? Just get a KL Transit train from KL Sentral to Putrajaya and then Grab/taxi to the MM2H office.

Yes, MM2H centre is in Putrajaya. Public transit within Putrajaya is limited, so Grab/taxi is the better option. I never had a problem getting Grab in Putrajaya or Cyberjaya. Fares were generally RM10-15 for short trips around there.

KLIA Transit trains (not KLIA Ekspres!) stop at "Putrajaya & Cyberjaya" station. The usual Grab pickup spot at that station is not obvious: as you leave the station from the turnstiles, follow signs for taxi, but take the first staircase on the right. I seem to recall there is a sign for a hospital shuttle but nothing about Grab, but that seems to be the usual Grab pickup/dropoff spot (there were several people waiting there and I asked). If you keep walking, there's another well-signed staircase on the right leading to taxis. I went down that staircase, saw it was only for taxis, and ended up walking (at ground level) back to the small crowd gathered at the bottom of the previous staircase to catch my Grab. For one person, the train is a great way to save money to/from the airport, and it also avoids any traffic jams if you are going to/from KL. The trains are modern, fast, and generally punctual (they have a published timetable, scroll down on this page to KLIA Transit: https://www.kliaekspres.com/plan-buy/schedule/). You can buy tickets from the kiosks at every station and get a small self-service discount.

You can take Grab/taxi to and from KL, just beware traffic jams and variable drive time. Unless you have a reason to be in KL, you might also consider a hotel in Putrajaya or Cyberjaya. You will want to be up very early to arrive at the MM2H centre at 6:30 or 7am anyway, so the shorter travel time is nice.

Thanks so much, Fuzzylogiche,

I did send email to MM2H one week+ ago, but get no luck for a reply yet....

I just want to be confirmed that if I need to collect the approval letter in person in MM2H center (as a direct applicant) or wait for a post mail from them in my hometown.

Without getting the formal approval letter, it seems that I cannot proceed the bank account opening, medical insurance etc, or do any planning for a trip.

Of course, I also tried to call the center....but never get through....so, still waiting

Hi ericsbwong,
Can you tell us the date you lodge your application and the range of your reference number?
Hopefully you get an approval soon!

ericsbwong wrote:

Thanks so much, Fuzzylogiche,

I did send email to MM2H one week+ ago, but get no luck for a reply yet....

I just want to be confirmed that if I need to collect the approval letter in person in MM2H center (as a direct applicant) or wait for a post mail from them in my hometown.

Without getting the formal approval letter, it seems that I cannot proceed the bank account opening, medical insurance etc, or do any planning for a trip.

Of course, I also tried to call the center....but never get through....so, still waiting

You are welcome, and yes, you will need to collect the approval letter in person at the MM2H centre in Putrajaya as a direct applicant. They no longer mail them, unfortunately.

Yes, you will need the original approval letter at the bank in Malaysia, and I assume when buying medical insurance in Malaysia (if your current policy does not offer worldwide coverage). You should be able to do advance research and make some arrangements by phone/email before your trip, though.

About calling the MM2H centre to enquire about any Journey Performed Visa requirement for your passport, make sure you are calling the Immigration Unit +603 8891 7465 or +603 8891 7454 (click the 'immigration unit' tab on http://www.mm2h.gov.my/index.php/en/con … tent-views). I called because I had sent an email which was not answered for 3 weeks. It took me several tries at different times of the day to reach them. When I finally did reach someone, the person who answered recognized my question and promised to answer 'soon' ... which took 3 more days. When you do get an answer, please share the info here - it would be very helpful to anyone with the same question in future!

Obaydullah, I lodged my application around late June 19 and got the reference number mid July, which is 43xxx.

But I learnt that the approval may not be in sequence (based on the reference number). It seems that those apply from May onward get through first, and there are all kind of different case or scenario.

FuzzyLogiche, thank you so much for sharing information about public transportation between KL and MM2H office. It's really helpful.
Also I found out that the FD process in the bank is the longest step, so I need to schedule a two-week trip to KL for MM2H visa. Hope it works.

FuzzyLogiche, finally, someone answered my call!! Here is the information I confirmed with MM2H staff,

1) Yes, direct applicant need to collect the approval letter in person,
2) Journey Performed Visa, for Hong Kong passport holder, we can go to Malaysia with the the passport and convert the Entry Visa to Journey Performed Visa for RM530 per person at the immigration unit in MM2H center.
3) A family medical plan cover myself and my spouse is acceptable (i.e. no need for separate medical plan for two of us).

I finally pick Progressive for my medical plan, but they need a copy of the official approval letter to proceed. We can do everything in advance via email, but we need to collect the final documents from them in their office in person. The date of commencement of the policy should be the date we obtain the MM2H visa.

Above are all I confirm for the moment.

I thought that you didn't need to pay a Journey Performed fee if you obtained a Visa in there Malaysian embassy or consulate in your home country?

cinnamonape wrote:

I thought that you didn't need to pay a Journey Performed fee if you obtained a Visa in there Malaysian embassy or consulate in your home country?

Yes, you're right. The visa has to be obtained before entering Malaysia. A tourist pass is not sufficient to avoid the JP fee (for those countries not exempt), but a visa is.

Thanks, cinnamonape & Cobolin

Yes, I knew there is a way to avoid the JPV fee. But, from some local sharing forum (here is HK), it is said that we need to obtain a letter from MM2H and then go to the embassy to obtain the specific visa, which will take a longer time and maybe some extra effort.

I did call the embassy (in HK) for it, and the one who answer said she has no idea about it, and ask me to call MM2H. so, it seems to me that it is loop a that I cannot get a very clear answer. So, end up I may prefer to pay a bit more...to avoid any extra waiting and uncertainty.

In case there are friends here who can successfully avoid the JPV fee (for the case in HK applicant, because I believe difficulties varies from country to country) during the landing process, please kindly help.   

Thanks!

ericsbwong wrote:

Yes, I knew there is a way to avoid the JPV fee. But, from some local sharing forum (here is HK), it is said that we need to obtain a letter from MM2H and then go to the embassy to obtain the specific visa, which will take a longer time and maybe some extra effort.

I did call the embassy (in HK) for it, and the one who answer said she has no idea about it, and ask me to call MM2H. so, it seems to me that it is loop a that I cannot get a very clear answer. So, end up I may prefer to pay a bit more...to avoid any extra waiting and uncertainty.

Hi ericsbwong, I'm glad you finally reached the MM2H centre by phone, and thank you for sharing the info here!

I only know about the JPV fee from online sources, as fortunately my passport was exempt. I remember reading somewhere that single-entry visa to avoid the JPV fee should reference your MM2H application number, e.g. MM2H/43xxx.

If you received the usual email from MM2H centre that says you are approved, and you are planning to do everything in one trip to Malaysia, perhaps you can provide that email to the Malaysian consulate/embassy in HK when you apply for a single-entry visa? You can ask them to note the MM2H application number with the visa. If the cost for the single-entry visa is low, you only risk wasting the time to obtain it: when you are at MM2H centre getting your MM2H pass stamped into your passport, worst case they say you have to pay the JPV fee anyway. If you don't get a visa at all, now you know you will definitely have to pay the JPV fee.

FuzzyLogiche, Thanks so much.

I have contacted the embassy here in Hong Kong. Finally, I am told that they need the approval letter to issue the single-entry visa in Hong Kong.

Since I have to go to MM2H to collect the letter in person (which mean I am already there) , it seems not practical I can get the single-entry visa and avoid the JPV fee. It may works before in those days when MM2H would mail the approval letter by post, but not now.

Ok, finally got the actual approval letter.

Again for those folks following along, my application details are:

App #: 415XX

App Date:  5/9/19 (from doc)

Approval Date: 10/2019 (from doc)

Agent:  Alter Domus (Penang)

According to Agent, there has been a change of leadership at the Immigration in Putrajaya.  The new officer in charge is NOT giving any extension for endorsement.  So, for now, 6 months is it or we will have to reapply.

Also one advantage I suppose by using an agent is that the agent takes care of the processing by going to Putrajaya for us with our passports.  We do of course have to hang out in Penang or do some sightseeing while we wait.

Fuzzylogich, many thanks for telling us about bank account opening step for MM2H visa.
As I see, we need to stay more than a week in Kuala Lumpur. Now this question is very important for me:

Does this amount of money (RM150000) for fixed deposit account, have to transfer from outside
of Malaysia to Malaysia? Or, I can talk to a money changer and he transfers this amount of money
from his account in Malaysia to my account in Malaysia.

Transferring money from my country to Malaysia is not possible by banks because of sanctions but money changers can do that with some limitations. I emailed banks in Malaysia and asked this question but nobody answered.

Just receiving a reply from MM2H regarding the collection of the conditional approval letter (for direct applicant):

Hi,

Greetings from MM2H,

For your information, we are currently preparing the Conditional Approval Letter for the applicants. The MM2H Centre will contact you to pick up the letter once it is ready.

-------------------------

Anyone know how it can take? I got the email notification for the conditional approval on 2 Jan. Thanks.

Hi Eric,

I'm also residing in Hong Kong. Having learnt that you're awaiting the Approval Letter for time some after receiving notice from MM2H centre about application successful, I am on the same status.

I received Approval Notice on 27 Dec 2019 and last week I called MM2H centre for how long the letter would be released.  An official relied me "there're bunch of successful applicants under processing, might take more time to get the letter ready".  She also added MM2H would inform me by email to collect it upon completion.  In reply to my query as to I would stay longer than 30 days to find and rent an apartment, she said I could always get a 90 days visa from their consulate in HK.

Maybe we could go at the same time for MM2H visa stamping or exchange info about the process. Should this be possible for you, please pm me...

Just wanted to tell all awaiting notice for letter collection (direct applicants), the MM2H Centre had emailed readiness of my letter for a couple of days. The letter was said to be dated 14 Jan 2020 and I would have to do the visa endorsement within 6 months from that date :)