ECR passport changed to Ecnr passport

Dear Friends and Colleagues,

I live in Mumbai, India and recently got an ECR passport, i have also received the Paper Visa which has ECR passport number mentioned on it (original visa submitted at the airport). I recently discovered that ECR passports need to get an emigration clearance from POE offices India.

However, one of the passport agents advised me to get a new passport without ECR (ECNR). He also told me that boarding from Indian immigration will not be a problem even if the visa mentions the ECR passport number as bcoz. The new passport will also have the old ecr passport number mentioned. He also asked me to carry both the passports and present it at the Indian and Oman immigration.

can someone please help me if I can clear Oman immigration carrying both the passports and as per above scenario?

Request your help...

Thanks,
Shyam

Hi Farzeen mohammad,

The advice given to you by the travel agent is not exactly clever.

When you are having a valid passport, how will you get a second passport ?

If you are a high school passed you are eligible for 'ECNR'. Else, no.

Rather than try to work around the system, it would be better for you to travel on the same passport with ECR.

And when your passport comes up for renewal make sure you get the ECR status removed and the ECNR stamped to save you any further inconveniences.

He asked me to cancel the old passport with ECR stamped on it and get a new one without ECR. The new passport will also mention the old passport no. In the new one.

Pls. Advise...

Hi shyambenegal,

It is your call ... do as you deem fit.