Canadian getting married in Egypt

Hello everyone!

I was wondering if there are any Canadians here that have been recently married in Egypt. My boyfriend and I are trying to figure out what documents we both need. Looking on the internet and asking the Canadian embassy and the ministrie hasn't really helped. So if anyone can help us it would be greatly appreciated. :)

Let your boyfriend do the work assuming he is Egyptian. There's a way for an Egyptian to get married to a foreigner legally within the bounds of the country. If he is pushing for marriage to be documented by the Canadian embassy then he sees you as a ticket out of the country.

Hello stephaniee.
Yes dear , you can do it and getting your marriage document here in Cairo-Egypt so easy.
And after that you will record your marriage in the recording office in Cairo and your the canadian Embassy here.
So that , you will prove it easily in your country or any place you want without any problem.
If you want, you can contact me for more information.
Congratulation in advance

@stephaniee__

hey i know this post is old but me too i am canadian as well looking to marry an egyptian.  Did you already get married ?  What was the documents needed?   

i am agree to married

@linagirlycanada So you need a different visa after when you arrive in Egypt. You cannot get married on a tourist visa. You also need a declaration stating you never been married and what your religion is and it needs to be notarized by the Canadian embassy and everything has to match your passport like your full name not just first and last. Then you get your medical exams done for both parties also need passport pictures for both people. Once you get all those documents you go to the ministry of justice with two male witnesses and get your marriage license. This is the only legal way to marry a foreigner in Egypt and if you decide to apply for PR in Canada it's the only way the Canadian government will accept your marriage.

@stephaniee__

Can i ask how long it took you to finish all the paper works? Your answer will be of great help. Thanks

It took us about two-three days to get married. But my husband and I had some hiccups along the way so it should probably take a day or two at best. I hope my answer helps :)

@H4hesham hi . Hope you're having a great day! My fiance and I want to get married in Egypt in May. Do you know the steps we need to take? Please respond to my email

Thanks in advance

Paula

@paulabobbi11

Hi.  my christian canadian daughter is looking to marry a christian egyptian man in egypt this fall.

We too are looking for info on what all needs to be done. I will follow this thread and appreciate all advice

Hi

I am an Irish man and married an Egyptian woman in 2014. There was a considerable amount of paper work and coming and going.

This is the advice from the American embassy and just substitute Canada and procedure is the same.

https://eg.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-se … -in-egypt/

You need to have all the documents correct and with the correct stamps.

You will need all the documents notarised in the Canadian embassy and then at the Egyptian foreign affairs notarization office, there are several and the Canadian embassy will tell you where the nearest one is. Be careful of feasts and public holidays in Egypt as opening days and times will be different.

You should have your fiancé visit the marriage office and take a photo of the requirements, they are usually listed on a wall. Your fiancé needs to be prepared with a to do list and have his ducks in a row or or you will find that the time it take will get extended. You will be visiting the office to get a 3 month tourist visa one day for this, a medical exam certificate, some stamps from the post office, the embassy and the Egyptian  foreign affairs office, Q's everywhere. When you go to the marriage office, go early as it is or was first come first served and you may have to come back. You will have to come back later to collect the marriage certs if you want to use them for visas later. So you maybe get lucky and all goes without a hitch but I would allow about a week. Took me longer but I was a foreign man marrying and Egyptian woman so a few more steps than the other way around.

Note: getting a visa for your husband depending on the country, not sure about Canadian procedures, can take time, lots of paperwork and is never guaranteed. I know several Irish women who married Egyptian men and were refused visas for residence. Mostly on the basis that the embassy viewed it as a marriage of convenience. Particularly if it is mostly an Internet courtship, and the man has little or no money or assets, little or no qualifications for work, and the woman is not capable of independent support of herself and her husband. So I would check ot the residence visa requirements before you get married and see if you have a good chance of success. Also be sure of the man you are marrying. I have personal knowledge and experience of where the man views the marriage as a way out of Egypt. You also have to understand and except the large cultural differences and this has been an issue for a lot of marriages. This forum has plenty of advice and stories on this issue so have a read. I am not trying to rain on your parade, just go in with your eyes open as the saying "love is blind and marriage is an eye opener" 😉.

The very best of luck and a lifetime of happiness. It has been for me 10 years of 😊 bliss.

Regards

Ray

Thank you!  this is very helpful!