Sarawak My Second Home Program

Cinnamonape

The changes to the program that you suggest make a lot of sense.  It would save everyone time and money and benefit just about everyone, excluding agents.  That's probably why it will not happen.  Two universal truths are that governments all over the world rarely do what's logical, and common sense isn't so common.

Beer only...

You mention that you know some Peninsular Malaysians. Perhaps they might be able to refer you to some Sarawak friends or colleagues that could act as a sponsor?

Despite what it says on the Sarawak MM2H website a Permanent Resident of Sarawak is NOT allowed...it must be a citizen of Sarawak.  As well, Immigration wants the Sarawakian to be currently resident in Sarawak. That's so they can interview them at their leisure, it seems.

NewYorker99 :

Cinnamonape

The changes to the program that you suggest make a lot of sense.  It would save everyone time and money and benefit just about everyone, excluding agents.

I think that the could even allow trained, registered agents who also are told they might lose their license if they act unethically.  One ethical act is that would have to =be upfront about the opportunity of self-application and also describe specifically what services they will offer.  I'd have no issue with that if they really provided service for value.  On the peninsula they allow both possibilities, independent self-application...or using an agent.  I think some people need hand-holding. But agents could provide free publicity with their websites, help with accommodation, transport, and orientation tour of Kuching and region, assistance with buying land, getting student visas, etc.

I'm not sure if agents were invited to the Workshop. I do know that a couple of "former" agents are now involved in real estate...my sources say they are still involved in finding sponsors. It's the realtors and developers that are the stakeholders that had the connections to start the reform process/workshop. They are upset that fewer than 80 Sarawak MM2H applications come in every year. That's vs. the more than 4000 annually on the Peninsula. That's only about 2% of the total. If they marketed things correctly they could begin to supplant Penang and Johor to some degree. For Singaporean retirees it's almost less time to fly from Sarawak than to cross the causeway from Johor. Before the Federation with Malaya it was actually Singapore that had the greatest trade ties with Sarawak. Hokkien and Hakka are still widely spoken in both places. That's also an advantage in attracting retirees from China, although direct air transport is lacking. But look at the explosion of Chinese tourism in Sabah - which does have direct flights. If it was easier to get an MM2H then Sarawak would reach that tipping point where direct flights were more common.

Not having been invited to the "workshop" I don't know what their suggestions for improvements were.

NewYorker99 :

That's probably why it will not happen.  Two universal truths are that governments all over the world rarely do what's logical, and common sense isn't so common.

Also "we've always done it this way". "This might have unforeseen consequences, so it needs more study" (which since it took them 2 decades to even have one workshop to discuss changes means "never". In Sarawak there is also the "We would rather not do it the way the do it in the Peninsula". Off course if the opposition party starts making suggestions there is the possibility that it will be quashed, or coopted as their own.

And despite the fact that anti-colonialism is stronger in the Peninsula...there is a bit of resentment at suggestions being made by orang putih. One needs to try and make it "their own idea". That can, of course, be difficult if the government stakeholders are extremely conservative.

How's this for speed - application submitted 22nd October, got the approval letter today 10th December (actually, the approval letter was dated 3rd December)

Thanks to all who contributed to this forum, and my 'advisors' Teresa and Irene. Special thanks to Cobolin who responded promptly and amply to my personal queries

czy :

How's this for speed - application submitted 22nd October, got the approval letter today 10th December (actually, the approval letter was dated 3rd December)

Thanks to all who contributed to this forum, and my 'advisors' Teresa and Irene. Special thanks to Cobolin who responded promptly and amply to my personal queries

Congrats czy on your approval.

May I know the approval letter sent to you by post or you collected it at Sarawak Mm2h office .?

The approval letter was sent to my sponsor

Congratulations. 1.5 months is very quick...How long did they tell you that you have to actually pick up the visa?

To Cinnamonape -
There is no mention in the approval letter of a time limit to pick up the visa. Could there be a supplementary note where they would mention the time limit? I only got a scanned copy of the approval letter from my 'advisor'

Kudos to the Sarawak Immigration for their efficiency in processing the application!

When the application was submitted, there was a sentence in the receipt saying they will come to a decision after 30 working days. My 'advisors' were skeptical about that. Turns out Immigration has kept their words pretty well!

Yes, 30 days is what they state in their flow chart as well. Within 14 days of submission they'll screen your documents and interview the sponsor. Then in another 14 days they'll have their meeting to make the decision. Then there's a couple of days to type up the letter and mail it. I assume these are "working days" so add in weekends (8-10 days) and holidays (usually at least 2-3 days per months). So ideally it would take a month and a half. Then 2-3 days for the sponsor to get it by mail...

https://mtac.sarawak.gov.my/upload/file … FEL9D9ZgA4

I don't know what sort of screening they actually undertake. Given that one doesn't submit financial documents other than the pension warrants or FD document what are they doing to look at? Maybe they do an Interpol check or something. Or run one of those winky-dink on-line "Find out if your Boyfriend is a crook" services (Police records, lawsuits filed, websites). A lot of room for error if they don't get the right person on those things. I know at least four rather nasty people that have my relatively rare first and last name. The nickname for the first name (Jerry)...if they looked up my formal first name (Gerrell) they'd only find me. Middle name would clinch it.  But how many "Robert Smith's" are out there? They'd definitely need to use the Middle name and the city and maybe even the employer or street address to assure that they are not getting a doppelgänger.

I know that the Peninsula no longer has the duties exemption when importing your own car into Malaysia when on the MM2H program, is this the same when under the Sarawak MM2H program?

Yes, because all vehicles (and Household goods, too) are imported through Port Klang, and then transhipped, duties are applied there in Peninsula Malaysia. It's called Cabotage...which means "sabotage the green stuff the other folks might get". An old colonial tradition of controlling trade and being able to tax and fix prices from the centre. So when the exemption went for MM2H it also disappeared for Sarawak.

Thanks. I couldn't find any updates passed 2017 for Sarawak, so this helps.
Cheers

What about buying a new car is that tax exempt in Sarawak or did they end that too?

Yes...it was a Federal Directive that applied to both importing vehicles and those reassembled in Malaysia. All the reassembling plants were in the Peninsula, anyway. One applied for the tax exemption through the Federal government.

https://www.treasury.gov.my/pdf/percuka … 072018.pdf

One can still used the Fixed Account to purchase a new or used car, however. It's not a discount, of course.  I mention this because some people confuse the two "benefits".