Sarawak My Second Home Program

Cinnamonape

The changes to the program that you suggest make a lot of sense.  It would save everyone time and money and benefit just about everyone, excluding agents.  That's probably why it will not happen.  Two universal truths are that governments all over the world rarely do what's logical, and common sense isn't so common.

Beer only...

You mention that you know some Peninsular Malaysians. Perhaps they might be able to refer you to some Sarawak friends or colleagues that could act as a sponsor?

Despite what it says on the Sarawak MM2H website a Permanent Resident of Sarawak is NOT allowed...it must be a citizen of Sarawak.  As well, Immigration wants the Sarawakian to be currently resident in Sarawak. That's so they can interview them at their leisure, it seems.

NewYorker99 wrote:

Cinnamonape

The changes to the program that you suggest make a lot of sense.  It would save everyone time and money and benefit just about everyone, excluding agents.

I think that the could even allow trained, registered agents who also are told they might lose their license if they act unethically.  One ethical act is that would have to =be upfront about the opportunity of self-application and also describe specifically what services they will offer.  I'd have no issue with that if they really provided service for value.  On the peninsula they allow both possibilities, independent self-application...or using an agent.  I think some people need hand-holding. But agents could provide free publicity with their websites, help with accommodation, transport, and orientation tour of Kuching and region, assistance with buying land, getting student visas, etc.

I'm not sure if agents were invited to the Workshop. I do know that a couple of "former" agents are now involved in real estate...my sources say they are still involved in finding sponsors. It's the realtors and developers that are the stakeholders that had the connections to start the reform process/workshop. They are upset that fewer than 80 Sarawak MM2H applications come in every year. That's vs. the more than 4000 annually on the Peninsula. That's only about 2% of the total. If they marketed things correctly they could begin to supplant Penang and Johor to some degree. For Singaporean retirees it's almost less time to fly from Sarawak than to cross the causeway from Johor. Before the Federation with Malaya it was actually Singapore that had the greatest trade ties with Sarawak. Hokkien and Hakka are still widely spoken in both places. That's also an advantage in attracting retirees from China, although direct air transport is lacking. But look at the explosion of Chinese tourism in Sabah - which does have direct flights. If it was easier to get an MM2H then Sarawak would reach that tipping point where direct flights were more common.

Not having been invited to the "workshop" I don't know what their suggestions for improvements were.

NewYorker99 wrote:

That's probably why it will not happen.  Two universal truths are that governments all over the world rarely do what's logical, and common sense isn't so common.

Also "we've always done it this way". "This might have unforeseen consequences, so it needs more study" (which since it took them 2 decades to even have one workshop to discuss changes means "never". In Sarawak there is also the "We would rather not do it the way the do it in the Peninsula". Off course if the opposition party starts making suggestions there is the possibility that it will be quashed, or coopted as their own.

And despite the fact that anti-colonialism is stronger in the Peninsula...there is a bit of resentment at suggestions being made by orang putih. One needs to try and make it "their own idea". That can, of course, be difficult if the government stakeholders are extremely conservative.

How's this for speed - application submitted 22nd October, got the approval letter today 10th December (actually, the approval letter was dated 3rd December)

Thanks to all who contributed to this forum, and my 'advisors' Teresa and Irene. Special thanks to Cobolin who responded promptly and amply to my personal queries

czy wrote:

How's this for speed - application submitted 22nd October, got the approval letter today 10th December (actually, the approval letter was dated 3rd December)

Thanks to all who contributed to this forum, and my 'advisors' Teresa and Irene. Special thanks to Cobolin who responded promptly and amply to my personal queries

Congrats czy on your approval.

May I know the approval letter sent to you by post or you collected it at Sarawak Mm2h office .?

The approval letter was sent to my sponsor

Congratulations. 1.5 months is very quick...How long did they tell you that you have to actually pick up the visa?

To Cinnamonape -
There is no mention in the approval letter of a time limit to pick up the visa. Could there be a supplementary note where they would mention the time limit? I only got a scanned copy of the approval letter from my 'advisor'

Kudos to the Sarawak Immigration for their efficiency in processing the application!

When the application was submitted, there was a sentence in the receipt saying they will come to a decision after 30 working days. My 'advisors' were skeptical about that. Turns out Immigration has kept their words pretty well!

Yes, 30 days is what they state in their flow chart as well. Within 14 days of submission they'll screen your documents and interview the sponsor. Then in another 14 days they'll have their meeting to make the decision. Then there's a couple of days to type up the letter and mail it. I assume these are "working days" so add in weekends (8-10 days) and holidays (usually at least 2-3 days per months). So ideally it would take a month and a half. Then 2-3 days for the sponsor to get it by mail...

https://mtac.sarawak.gov.my/upload/file … FEL9D9ZgA4

I don't know what sort of screening they actually undertake. Given that one doesn't submit financial documents other than the pension warrants or FD document what are they doing to look at? Maybe they do an Interpol check or something. Or run one of those winky-dink on-line "Find out if your Boyfriend is a crook" services (Police records, lawsuits filed, websites). A lot of room for error if they don't get the right person on those things. I know at least four rather nasty people that have my relatively rare first and last name. The nickname for the first name (Jerry)...if they looked up my formal first name (Gerrell) they'd only find me. Middle name would clinch it.  But how many "Robert Smith's" are out there? They'd definitely need to use the Middle name and the city and maybe even the employer or street address to assure that they are not getting a doppelgänger.

I know that the Peninsula no longer has the duties exemption when importing your own car into Malaysia when on the MM2H program, is this the same when under the Sarawak MM2H program?

Yes, because all vehicles (and Household goods, too) are imported through Port Klang, and then transhipped, duties are applied there in Peninsula Malaysia. It's called Cabotage...which means "sabotage the green stuff the other folks might get". An old colonial tradition of controlling trade and being able to tax and fix prices from the centre. So when the exemption went for MM2H it also disappeared for Sarawak.

Thanks. I couldn't find any updates passed 2017 for Sarawak, so this helps.
Cheers

What about buying a new car is that tax exempt in Sarawak or did they end that too?

Yes...it was a Federal Directive that applied to both importing vehicles and those reassembled in Malaysia. All the reassembling plants were in the Peninsula, anyway. One applied for the tax exemption through the Federal government.

https://www.treasury.gov.my/pdf/percuka … 072018.pdf

One can still used the Fixed Account to purchase a new or used car, however. It's not a discount, of course.  I mention this because some people confuse the two "benefits".

Did anyone have child studying in Sarawak?

I don't but I know people who do.

Many people have children studying in Sarawak.  Probably most Korean , I believe there is a visa available for this purpose.+

Correct need a student visa. And I applied for mm2h for my daughter. That was a mistake that should of been a student visa. Wasted money on that. Still don't think we will finalize it.

New regulations and requirements added to Sarawak-Malaysia My Second Home programme to aid foreigners

More money required for the fixed deposit option and if buying property;
Requirement to spend at least 15 days per year in Sarawak for visa renewal;
and registered agents will be permitted.

Here is the new information for the Sarawak MM2H Version 2020...issued September 1, 2020.

https://mtac.sarawak.gov.my/page-0-179- … Forms.html

Any idea what the agent fee is going to cost?
Thanks for the update.
Been following the FB group.

Thanks
I had another discussion about cost of living.
The gist was Malaysia is only cheaper than NYC.
Lol I found that quite disingenuous.

As to the cost of living...that person must either be a xenophobe (doesn't want people coming to despoil his secret place), live in some elite gated palace (with household staff), or doesn't know jack. I live in a 3BR/2BA fully-furnished penthouse condo with gym, pool overlooking a beautiful river and forest for about US$600/month. If I want to eat "local" (laksa, kolo see, chicken rice, etc.) I can get a meal with an iced tea or coffee for about US$2.

I will say that private  International schools in KL and Penang are expensive. But I don't think they rank as more costly than most international cities. In Kuching they are cheaper.

Thanks, yeah I knew that as I have done lots of research on Malaysia long before I applied for the mm2h. That's what I am looking for condo with all the amenities. Gym pool Sauna etc. I have looked at many places to rent or buy. Spent countless hours looking at different cities. Checked electric rates, water, Internet cable. Everything I could think of health
insurance. Just a few unknowns like car insurance. No idea what that would cost? And the international schools I was able to find out the costs on those.
Still thinking of going for the smm2h. Thanks again your a wealth of information.

Can't help with car insurance...probably too variable anyways. Lots of people driving...can't be too onerous.

School :

Tunku Putra International https://tphs.edu.my/fee-structure/

Lodge International  https://www.lodgeschool.edu.my/menu-page/School-Fees

St. Joseph. https://stjosephkuching.edu.my/admissions/fees/

Borneo International School. http://www.borneo.edu.my/?pg=admiss#pay

This is pretty accurate...though it's a "buyers market" for condos.  Maybe a couple of hundred lower in my complex.

And I can get local sodas and canned teas and juices for RM1 (RM2 for Coke/Pepsi)  in my complex. 

https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/in/Kuching

I've read and enjoyed your previous posts on Sarawak MM2H.

My situation in short, I just received word from my peninsular mm2h agent that my application was sent back, not cancelled as 90% of them were in July.
My MM2H agent advised that he will keep my application safe until the new peninsular scheme is established in January 2021 and resubmit pending new requirements.
I doubt this will happen before a new government is elected in Malaysia.
Basically, I've wasted a year on this.
So now I'm looking at Sarawak MM2H.
I read you can now use an agent and do not require a separate resident sponsor?
Can you apply online or do I have to apply in Sarawak, not possible at present as the border are closed until next year???
I would appreciate any advise you could give on this.

They do not have an online facility for Sarawak MM2H. Unless you are already IN Malaysia and (even) have a non-expired visa then it's virtually impossible to get in and apply.

A completed application requires a local medical check-up. For those choosing the Fixed Deposit option they need to be present to establish the local bank account. Then finally one has to be personally  present to get the visa placed in your passport and pay the fees. 

Some of these requirements exist to prevent money laundering, tax avoidance and the trade in "golden visas" without real residence.

The only people that I have known that have successfully navigated and used the fact that Sarawak is still open for MM2H are expats that were already in Sarawak. One was on an expired tourist visa. But they are, for some reason, not allowing those on expired tourists visas in from the Peninsula.

So the fact they have crowed about Sarawak MM2H is still open is a bit of a joke.

Similarly, the fact that SARAWAK-Owned Agents are allowed is also a bit facetious. Because agents were banned there are NO SARAWAK AGENTS...those that are interested will take months to get up to speed.

So don't expect any chance of getting into Malaysia or Sarawak until December-January at least.

At least the terms of SMM2H are known...for those over 50 (or parent with kids attended local school) with a guaranteed income of RM7000single/RM10,000couple...very little has changed, But the Fixed Deposit option has doubled the deposit amount.

Thanks again for another informative post.

Does anyone know if Sarawak My Second Home is open to Malaysians from the mainland and if so what are the requirements? Or any ideas on what process a retired Malaysian from Kuala Lumpur wanting to retire in Sarawak should follow.

The situation for MM2H applicants is desperately sad.

I like many others put my peninsular MM2H application in over a year ago - 90% got cancelled in July and now the remaining, pending applications, have been returned to the agents pending resubmission when the MM2H program restarts in (pick a month)  2021 - and then what? Wait for another year and prey that they will approve it this time???

The Sarawak MM2H seems to be the only viable route now but yes we have to wait for the borders to reopen in (pick a month) in 2021. Hopefully there will be some Sarawak agents available by the time the borders reopen in 2021.

It's been said to me that all of this is because of covid19 but I don't buy that.

Since Malaysians are not foreign citizens they would not be eligible for MM2H or Sarawak MM2H. It would be a good idea (in fact one I suggested) provided the Peninsular Malaysian  acted in accord with the same standards required of foreign applicants. Those conditions are a) no involvement in local Sarawakian politics, b) avoiding religious proselytisation or efforts to convert or abuse those of other faiths, c) no employment within Sarawak.

I'm not sure if there may be other means to extend visa stay lengths in Sarawak under a social visit pass...particular if a spouse or children are Sarawakian or attending school in Sarawak.

cinnamonape wrote:

Since Malaysians are not foreign citizens they would not be eligible for MM2H or Sarawak MM2H. It would be a good idea (in fact one I suggested) provided the Peninsular Malaysian  acted in accord with the same standards required of foreign applicants. Those conditions are a) no involvement in local Sarawakian politics, b) avoiding religious proselytisation or efforts to convert or abuse those of other faiths, c) no employment within Sarawak.

I'm not sure if there may be other means to extend visa stay lengths in Sarawak under a social visit pass...particular if a spouse or children are Sarawakian or attending school in Sarawak.

My friend is a retired single local Malaysian Chinese and a little fed up with the political situation in Malaysia especially as an ethnic Chinese, and looking at how he can move to Sarawak. Seems he is destined to either remain on the mainland, travel for 2 month stays in Sarawak (it might just as well be another country) or else retire in a foreign country. Thanks for the information though, will let him know.

Interesting who
Isn't fed up with politics? Personally I won't miss them. I like the idea of
Malaysia because of the what used to be a good retirement scheme. But even then with out all the perks. It's centrally locates to visit other nearby countries relatively cheaply.
Along with much lower cost of living and health insurance.
Just waitIng to visit and finish the mm2h visa. Once the MCO is over. My agent said it's 3 months from when we ask for the extension. That puts it out to end of June to finalize that.

I'm not saying it is impossible...it's just that I'm unfamiliar with any pass that might be accorded to a Malaysian who is not working in Sarawak.  He might contact the folks at MOTAC (S-MM2H Desk) or the Ministry of Immigration specifically. The latter, particularly, would be more aware of the range of visas and passes available.

1openmind wrote:

Interesting who
Isn't fed up with politics? Personally I won't miss them. I like the idea of
Malaysia because of the what used to be a good retirement scheme. But even then with out all the perks. It's centrally locates to visit other nearby countries relatively cheaply.
Along with much lower cost of living and health insurance.
Just waiting to visit and finish the mm2h visa. Once the MCO is over. My agent said it's 3 months from when we ask for the extension. That puts it out to end of June to finalize that.

Agree with those comments, centrally located city in SE Asia, affordable cost of living, cheap medical insurance, add to that good eating and shopping. That's what kept me there for 12 years and on MM2H. But I'm not into living in one place for so long so decided to leave. That and most of the places I wanted to travel to were not in Malaysia.

cinnamonape wrote:

I'm not saying it is impossible...it's just that I'm unfamiliar with any pass that might be accorded to a Malaysian who is not working in Sarawak.  He might contact the folks at MOTAC (S-MM2H Desk) or the Ministry of Immigration specifically. The latter, particularly, would be more aware of the range of visas and passes available.

Yup I told him to do just that or else to find another country to retire to.

While I do hear grumblings and gripes by the local Chinese in Sarawak I don't think that they suffer immensely. There is still some "apartheid" (mainly in native land rights, scholarships to schools, licenses...things at the Federal level) but local Malay and Bidayuh lads and lasses can go to Chinese vernacular schools, and vice versa. There doesn't seem to be any issues with people practicing their own festivals (Christmas, Easter, Hari Raya, Hungry Ghosts, Dayak Harvest Festival) and others from the other groups come and enjoy the celebrations. Allah is used in the Christian Scripture here. Intermarriage occurs and while Malays do insist on conversion it's more of a familial issue. If there is a divorce then persons do go back to their previous faith. It could be more tolerant (i.e. accepting the spouses faith) but folks know what they are getting into.

There are some cases where those with dual passports have been expelled from government positions.

Ultimately I think Sarawak is more accepting because there have been intermarriages between the groups for hundreds of years...the Chinese men married local women, whose sons married local (or mixed) women...etc. Ultimately the matrilineal cultural bond wears down as well as the genetics. Then there is the process of conversion...most "Malays" actually have considerable Dayak or Chinese ancestry "masuk Malaya". And there was a tradition where childless or daughter or son-heavy Malay families would adopt a Chinese boy or daughter. So genetically everyone is mixed up. I wonder what will happen when the geneticists try to characterize the local groups...it'll be a mess if they are trying to figure out if the Bidayuh "came from Southern China (Yunnan)" when you have Chinese ancestry from that region arriving 300 years ago.

Just read something by one of the most prominent Kelabit activists and promotors of orang ulu culture who stated that she technically is not considered Kelabit or bumiputra because of her mixed race. Stuff like the is ridiculous..,.it's an "Alice through the Looking Glass" world.

Dear Cinnamonape,

unfortunately it is not true that persons can go back to their previous faith when they divorce from a marriage with a Malay. There are many people who have been trying, but all get stuck at some point of the process. I have not heard of anyone who was in a legal marriage with a Malay and was able to convert back into any other religion after a divorce. If you know any cases I would be happy to know about it.

Thanks for this...I thought there was a successful case a few years ago...perhaps reversed at the higher level of the Court.

Or maybe I was confused with some other cases where individuals who had been listed as Muslim as children, but raised Christian or Hindu, were allowed to renounce the faith that they had never practiced.

https://www.malaymail.com/news/malaysia … na/1753636

and

https://www.thestar.com.my/news/nation/ … gthened-s/