Independent visa

Hi,

Can anyone remove my confusion, recently i came in oman (Muscat) on independent visa now may i work with another sponsor or company is it possible or legally right  ?

As per my knowledge, you can't come Oman without employment sponsor visa hence if you are in employment VISA then pls discuss with your visa provider.

Ahmed Ilyas wrote:

Hi,

Can anyone remove my confusion, recently i came in oman (Muscat) on independent visa now may i work with another sponsor or company is it possible or legally right  ?

Hi Ahmed Ilyas,

For an expatriate to be employed, there is only one type of visa and it is the 'employment visa'.

There is no such visa called as the so-called 'independent visa'.

Unscruplous agents fleece large sums of money from gullible individuals and cheat them by saying that they are being sent on an independent visa, or free visa. Such visas do not exist in the Sultanate.

Suggest you read through many useful posts on similar topics for you to understand the process of legal employment.

Thanks Sumitrah'

I understood, but still my question remain that on the same visa (employment) can i work with another company instead of  visa provided company or can i start a small business on the same visa ?

Hi Ahmed Ilyas,

Even though this question has been replied to umpteen number of times prior, let me reply yet again ... one more time ...

(1) For an expatriate to be employed, the person must hold a valid 2-year employment visa, and a valid Resident Card,

(2) That employment visa must be duly sponsored by a registered local sponsor / organisation. In other words, for every expatriate employee, there must be a local sponsor,

(3) Once the expatriate arrives in the Sultanate, the person is allowed to work only with the sponsor or the organisation which has brought the expatriate over to Oman on the employment visa,

(4) The expatriate is PROHIBITED BY LAW from working anywhere else, or for anyone else, other than with the sponsor who has sponsored him / her,

(5) Similarly, the expatriate who is on an employment visa is prohibited by law to indulge in any kind of business.

Scores of expatriates knowingly, or unknowingly flout and break these manpower rules.

That is also why the Ministry of Manpower conducts regular 'surprise' labour checks where they visit offices unannounced and ask for the expatriate's resident card, where the person's designation would be mentioned, besides the sponsor's name.

If there is any discrepancy in the job stated and what the expatriate was seen / caught doing (for example, if the resident card of the expatriate says 'Electrician' and the person was seen working in the 'Accounts' department), then the expatriate and the sponsor would both have to face the repercussions, with some added penalties to the sponsor who will be seen by the manpower authorities as the larger breaker of the rule.