If you could change one thing in your expat life, what would it be?

As an expat spouse, I wish to strengthen my identity beyond "wife of" or "mother of."
You? I'm curious...

My ability to absorb new languages 😊 I dream of a conversation with my wife in her home tongue (Ambon).  Being able to communicate in bahasa without my Aussie drawl would be cool 😎

I am a serial expat and wish I had maintained contact with more people from the various places I worked or lived.

Third Language besides English and Money management... Now I was quite regret that I did not focus on two things before....

My diet!

I can so relate, my Colombian wife informs me that I have a horrible accent in Spanish.  Sigh!

Singapore ?

kouch wrote:

Singapore ?

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTDeAiRnrIpLy2JPau95hUT9uIsY2kIgFCKggFTXS4Z5Bo_r2fd

The wife

@Supadave
The language.... ah.... the language....THE big challenge.....Do you think you will overcome this challenge in the future?

@spanishpete What do you mean? :-)

@Mark Leon
It is a big challenge for me too.
Each time I move, I gain 3-5 kg... Is it normal? :-(

@kimluuthien
I'm happy to know you are focus on these two topics RIGHT NOW. You noticed these challenges and you fixed it... Proud of you. It is not simple, especially at the beginning. Initially, we focus more out attention on big things... as visa, apartment, friends.....
So, you were able to notice these challenges and you fixed it... congrats my dear.

For me, I would remove the badge of EXPAT and will go again to my country where i am not an "expat in the country" but a "citizen of the country".

HOW I WISH!

I left my country of birth behind so many years ago I couldn't go back even if I wanted to. Times change, people change, everything changes the longer you are away.

Gravitas wrote:

I left my country of birth behind so many years ago I couldn't go back even if I wanted to. Times change, people change, everything changes the longer you are away.

I am with you there!

you know what i mean,

Same!

why,??????? we all make  mistakes

To have made a greater effort in the learning the language.

Hi dear
Iam elant
My number WhatsApp :***

Moderated by Priscilla 6 years ago
Reason : Do not post your personal contact details on a public forum for your own security

I think I would have liked to have been a little bolder earlier in life.
I was once reckless now a little more reclusive!?

I'm investing in lessons and nightschool- my bilingual 2 year old son is not a patient trainer after I referred to his pillow as pantal rather than bantal 😊 The journey will be long with many pitfalls however I just can't seem to roll my R's. I have told my family that they will be my guinea pigs - they are less than impressed. As a short term fix I bang away on my google translator app at every chance 👍🏻.  My bahasa gets many laughs but the locals here in Surabaya are patient and accept that I'm trying. It's not just about respect to the learn the language- it's also about survivability 🍔. I'm also going to do Indo cooking lessons has I have a soft spot for randeng but I'll save that for another blog. Who knows- I may one day tap on your window in a traffic jam offering you baksol 😂😂

@ Sara
thank you Actually I still have not yet solved it due to past habits but kind of improve everyday :D

Succeed in your expat family project with advice from other expats

OR