How to make friends in France

We have been talking about loneliness when you are abroad, let's now talk about how to make friends (locals and other expats) when you're living in France :top:

Which are your best tips to meet people and to make friends in France??

Thanks in advance for your participation

Hi! I'm french, but new in Paris (I've been living abroad for 2 years), I'd like to meet international expats so I suggest we get acquainted on this forum :) !
See ya!

Pursue your hobbies and interests even if your fluency is not great. If you jog a little, enter a race. There's no easier way to meet healthy people than in a sport you enjoy. It's a natural point of conversation and no one is suspicious of someone in shorts and running shoes, climbing gear or a cycling helmet.

Just go for it.

johnnyjenga wrote:

Pursue your hobbies and interests even if your fluency is not great. If you jog a little, enter a race. There's no easier way to meet healthy people than in a sport you enjoy. It's a natural point of conversation and no one is suspicious of someone in shorts and running shoes, climbing gear or a cycling helmet.

Just go for it.

Good advice, getting involved as much as possible in the local community is at least as important as mixing with other expats. In fact in some ways seeing other expats can hamper integration - getting the balance right isn't always easy.

Well, one thing is for sure. If you're not in a school, making friends in a university is pretty hard !

Join a forum like this one

Hihi :).. good advice about jogging, i think i will try it ;)

p.s. someone from french riviera in here maybe?? :)

I'm currently in PACA too, but given your mention of the Riviera it would probably take a good week to jog down to you from the Vaucluse, in which case I would be unlikely to be good company by the time I got there!

Jep :) "little" too far from me ;)
You've made some friends allready? And how long are you there? :)

Hello, I'm an expat who moved to lyon about 6 months ago, have two children and am looking for some companionship during the school days, is there anyone out there looking for the same?
taffy

Moving to France from US in summer 2010.  Any advice on nice but affordable places to live----prefer Paris, but field is pretty much open at this point.  Learning to speak French now.

Absolutely volunteer and/or get involved in any activities you enjoy. People will be curious and ask you lots of questions. You will make acquaintances. As for real friends, that's slow going for French so be patient and be persistant.