Do you speak Greek?

Hi everyone,

It is widely agreed that mastering the Greek language is essential for a successful integration in Greece. Do you agree? Share your experience!

Do you speak Greek? If so, where did you learn this language? Where can one attend a language course in Greece?

If not, how do you cope with daily activities? Is it easy to communicate in a different language with Greeks?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

Hello Priscilla,

it is very important to learn the language of your residence and communicate at least the basic of the language.
There are books and video lessons that can help you learn the basic phrases. Also there are a lot of Greek language schools in Athens and in other cities of Greece. In Athens you can try in: Alexandria Institute for a proper course face to face. If you prefer Skype lessons there is also the www.greekonlinelearning.com .

Another important thing about integration is to learn about the culture and something about the history of Greece.

On the other hand, there are a lot of Greeks that speak english. But by speaking the language will help you more to integrate.   

That's all!
Have a nice day

in Kypseli, they are giving greek lessons for free!!

and most of the people, especially in big cities, speak english, really good though!

Hi I am Greek and living abroad. My two children had to learn Greek as a second language. It wasn't easy but with a lot of encouragement and patience they are fluent and it has helped them to advance their career path because of  this extra asset.
The fact that you live in Greece is a lot easier to pick up the language. Admittedly is not one of the easiest language but I do believe that ii is very important to learn it
You need at least some basic knowledge in order to communicate and mingle with the locals if you live in a small town or a village.  In bigger cities most people will try and speak with you in English if it's the language you speak.
There is so much fun learning a new language any way, I could write a full list. Above all Greek is the foundation of all languages and there are at least 2000 words that derive from Greek.  Most people of other nations speak it anyway and have no idea about it.
Good luck. I hope I have convinced you.

Hi Priscilla,
it's not really necessary to speak Greek when you first arrive, so long as you can speak English. Although there will always be some situations where the Greek language is necessary, like legal stuff, but even then you can hire an English speaking lawyer, if you can afford it and have no friends/family.

In terms of integration and living a full life in Greece, there is no choice. You have to learn at least some level of Greek. It is really expected by everyone. I'v been speaking bad Greek since I was a child, and after moving to Greece as an adult, it has got better as my confidence increased. Practice is the only way to get better. I haven't gone to language classes, but I would like to.

These days there are many more foreigners in Greece from all over the world and I am no longer surprised when I hear a Chinese shopkeeper speaking perfect Greek, which I admit was a phenomenon for me because I have a Greek mother, hadn't visited Greece since the 90s and, at the time, my Greek was pretty bad.

But I don't think Greek is anymore difficult than other languages to learn, it has rules and then some strange things which seem a little arbitrary, but then so do all languages I know. I still stumble over pronunciation sometimes (too many syllables and sometimes the words get stuck in your mouth and then everything comes out at once  :huh: ). I think this will be a common problem for people coming from northern Europe, where the local languages have a different timing and rhythm altogether, but as I say, it takes practice.