Retirement in Greece (Crete ?)

Hello,

I am a French pensioner over 75 years old. I currently live in Portugal where I have the status of "non-habitual resident". I will no longer benefit from this status from the end of 2023. I am then planning to move to Greece from the beginning of 2024.

Given my age at that time (nearly 78), I would like to find an organisation or a trustworthy person to help me, in return for payment of course, to move to Greece, preferably to a residence for elderly people in good health or possibly to a hotel, as I will be living there from October to April/May (i.e. outside the tourist season) and will return to France in the summer.

I therefore need help to :
- find a place to live, preferably in Crete, rather in Heraklion, but not exclusively
- take the necessary steps with the tax authorities to register as a resident
- finding an accountant to make the annual declaration of my retirement pensions
- opening an online bank account

If you know of any such organisation or person, please let me know, possibly by private message.

I speak English, but not Greek, although I have studied ancient Greek for 4 years ... without much success, by the way.

Thank you for your attention.

Michel

Hello Michael,

- You can read here: https://taxblock.gr/en/useful-informati … in-greece/
- Nothing complicated but, considering your age, it would probably be best to hire a Greek lawyer to take care of all your needs.

Good luck!
Ricky

Hi,some of those things are fairly easy like after three months of living here you declare yourself to the local police as a resident,they may refer you to a specific immigration police station,you will see on line what documents you need,thats quite painless,you will find an accountant close to where you are living locally,most greeks speak english.greece has a double taxation agreement with some other countries so that you will not pay tax twice,the accountant will inform you of this.look on line for care places on Crete,their profile and costs etc...and did you mean E..banking or a international bank account?What about health insurance?I can private message you.

Surely if you are an EU citizen you can live in Portugal especially as you have pensions and will not be a burden financially there.

concertina wrote:

Surely if you are an EU citizen you can live in Portugal especially as you have pensions and will not be a burden financially there.

It is also my opinion. Any European citizen (EU citizenship) should be able to live in Portugal without any problems, especially if he/she is retired and if he/she provides his/her own source of income. As well for Greece, for what I know.

I myself (as Romanian citizen) intend to retire to Greece in a few years and have done some research on these issues:
- for medical insurance it can be done with private companies,
- internet banking and 2-3 bank cards are enough,
- very many Greeks (most of those who work with the public) speak English.

Thank you for your posts. I do apologize for not answering earlier but I have been taken by very demanding family matters.

I could certainly stay as long as I want in Portugal, but as I explained it in my Jan. 3 post, beginning in 2024 my fiscal status of "non-habitual resident" will end and I will start paying a very steep income tax on my pensions, up to 3 times what I would pay in my home country. This is the reason why I am thinking of leaving Portugal.

To Concertina :

I am looking preferably for a residence for elderly people in good health, but also for a regular apartment to rent in Crete as I do in Portugal.

I will need local ebanking. As to health insurance, I am covered by my french health insurance which is valid all over the E.U.

To RickyRO :

Besides Greece, I might also consider settling in Romania which has an attractive tax rate on foreign pensions. However, I am afraid that winters could be quite long and cold.

Nevertheless do you think retiring in Romania would be a good idea for an old guy ? If so, where should I go ? Bucarest ? What advice could you give me?

Thanks again.

Of course, if you prefer we can communicate by private messages.

I am an US retiree living in my home country of Bulgaria
Neither the US nor Bulgaria taxes my retirement income because  it falls  within certain tax brackets for the US  for example
The winters in Bulgaria last about two months and a half , December and January and now in February the springs is on its way
We have cold days with subzero temperatures and snowfalls  but then also lots of sunny days with plenty of sunshine,  so it's a mixed bag
Guess Romania has a similar climate
Hope this helps

My original message was posted under the pseudo "cgsb71".

Hi my name is Phil - a Brit with a Greek origin - 58and taking early retirement in Thessaloniki - speak Greek - can offer you free advice on some of the matters I Explored myself if of interest

Thanks so much for your offer. I will take you up on it.
Would you mind if we took this off the forum page to exchange messages

Tanya

'morning to all!

@Michel,
The situation with Romania is like this (of course, it is a subjective opinion):
- Climatologically speaking, the winter comes in December and lasts until March. It is cold and snowy in the mountains. In the lowlands there are some years without snow. For example, it has not snowed in Bucharest so far.
- Bucharest is an extremely crowded city and where the cost of living is high (compared to the rest of the regions in the country). You will need to re-learn to be patient because any problem (no matter how simple) takes a long time and is difficult to solve.
- Romania is a country with a very poor road infrastructure and the train travel is not an optimal solution either. It is true that life is cheaper here, but everything is reflected in the quality of life and services. "Life" in small towns and villages in the country is cheap, but you have to be prepared to accept a basic way of life and without any fun.

If you have any specific questions, let me know and I will try to answer you promptly.

@Zulu Team

Hi Phil,

Do you think you could help with some of the questions I asked in my post of Jan. 3 (pseudo "cgsb71") at the top of this topic/page ? Should you prefer to communicate through private messages, just let me know.

Thanks.

Michel

@RickyRO

Hi Ricky,

Thank you for your very quick answer. However it's not very encouraging but I do appreciate your frankness about your own country.
Should I need more information about Romania, I will of course come back to you.

Michel

@teachasse1

Hello,

Do you think retiring in Bulgaria would be a good idea for an old guy ? If so, where should I go ? Sofia ? What advice could you give me ? Do they have residences for elderly people in good health requiring no medical care ?

Thanks.

Michel

Sure contact me on ***

Moderated by Cheryl 2 years ago
Reason : For security reasons, do not post your contact details on the forum please.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

I dont think you would go well in Bulgaria,it would not be my choice in my twilight years,certainly not.I looked at Crete and the Pellopennese assisted care facilities and there are quite a few that look very nice,rather hotelish,why dont you take a look,the Pellopennes has an easier winter than Crete and not so hot in summer.

Hello cgsb71, like you, I have distant memories of being forty.  laughing,  unlike you, I have small economic means and concerns about being accepted as a resident with sufficient, but not lavish savings.

I think there are a great many of us looking for our own iteration of "The Best Marigold Hotel."  over decades we have weeded out many of the unsatisfying daily tasks.  that does not mean the house does not need cleaning.   it may mean we really do not want to cook three times a day, let alone seven days a week.

but the idea of the marigold hotel is about a lot more than the cleaning lady and room service.  it's about finding a community.  it's about finding a way to explore and be engaged with a much wider group than half a dozen acquaintenances.  so, we turn to an expat community asking, "can you recommend inexpensive but clean and safe accomodations that are NOT focused on the wealthy (yes, please, let me buy a passport) tourist or even traveller.  we seem to be looking for places that are comfortable in many more ways than just a soft, clean bed.

I would, like cgsb71, like to hear from people - whereever you may have been born - who are living long term in a semi public setting, in whatever european country,  that is congenial.  please and thank you, jane

Hello....oldwomanwitch......its interesting your post and I think generally on the planet this subject that we speak here is clearly something that is not being addressed,spoken about or provided for either privately or publicly.Life is obviously geared up for the younger age groups but as we are thankfully all seemingly living longer in a better condition then there is a gap which is not being filled for these older groups around seventy or even early retirees who want something a little different but not total care.a transition time where we still feel part of community,cared for and HEY Im here alive and kicking.Looking at various countries forums I read that expats generally find that the host country civilians dont spread their arms and embrace newcomers especially if language is a problem,life is different now and everyone is looking for their own back in an ever-increasing chaotic world.I think its important to take the bits that we like or what we are looking for by spending some of our time in a different country,make lists of what we want to get out of it,our goals .For example...can I make myself understood with a doctor ,clinic,hospital,do they speak English,will they help me,I need to warm up my bones in a better climate,I want to swim,I want to stay out late on summer nights and enjoy the night skies,I dont want to meet violence,I want natural food in markets not out of plastic wrappers.Can I find serenity before I leave this life and can I be calm the best I can and feel safe etc,..etc...moving needs planning and realisation of our needs and capabilities.Research well,especially when older one cannot walk two miles to the nearest shop like when a young hippy,Its possible in Greece to build a rappor with your doctor,your dentist,your pharmacy,your local shops,they will know you,greet you,speak in English.If you go to...Diggers and Dreamers....on line,go to the notice boards, you will see some interesting adverts for community living,some have set up communities for only older folks or mixed age groups.But Crete and some other islands here have a great set-up with expats especially older ones and I believe help each other greatly,there is a Crete forum.Rhodes seems to be improving in terms of care for the island from central government.Many expats live there some or part of the year.

Concertina, thank you for the referral to Diggers and Dreamers.  I sort of missed the 1960s; I grew up raising my own children.  I'm not sure, even this many decades later, that I can get my mind around the idea of a commune. 

I'm still hoping someone will consider the question of small, residential hotels that cater to long term residents.  in my mind, that setting will give me both the support an the autonomy I still need.  thank you, jane.

Just to tell you that communes now are not what they were,everyone has their own living space and just shares some meal times together and manage gardens running of house or houses together,finances etc...even young hippies now living together want their own space and management is between them,completely different to the sixties,everyone knows now that living too close to some folks is not possible haaaaa unless you want to tear your hair out.I did see today on line property for sale on Corfu,there was a series of small apartments,ground floor,sweet balcony on front of each one,view to the sea which was 400 metres away,on lovely large piece of land with trees at a very good price,Im thinking to have something like this for permanent residents or part of the year,swimming relaxing,exploring Corfu,as my husband will retire soon and we want to sell up from Athens.

Concertina, thinking and researching Diggers and Dreamers as well as WWOOF.

you might wish to read my intro (https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.p … 07#5367612) to get a broader idea of the conversation I am looking for.  please and thank you, jane.

@cgsb71 hi Michel, we know a very good accountant, he is based in Agios Nikolaos and will be able to help with everything. Will send you his details.

@cgsb71

Bonjour Michel
Moderated by Bhavna last year
Reason : Contact details should not be posted on the open forum.
Hello everyone,

@ Tarmac you are on the anglophone section of the forum. It is required to write only in English here for the benefit of all members.

May I suggest that you send a private message to Michel by clicking on his photo > send a message.

Regards,
Bhavna

@Bhavna thank you where is the french group ?

Hi Isa,

Welcome to expat.com!

Here is the link of the French-speaking Greece Forum: Forum Grèce.

You can switch languages at the bottom of your screen.

Vero
Expat.com team

@cgsb71

Hello Michel,

We are also French, living in Portugal with the NHR status, and like you, our 10 years ends this year.  We are looking at Greece as a possible next home.   Have you found the answers to your questions? Are you in Greece now or will you be going soon.  I would appreciate any information you are willing to share.

thank you

Gayle

Well, all I can add is that all you Europeans are sooo lucky to have such marvellous options, as a Kiwi/Brit my options are very limited thanks to the rediculous BREXIT and a disfunctional UK government (not to mention the 50% of UK citizens that are bigoted racists). Cheers all 👍

@gcw803 ***

Moderated by Bhavna 5 months ago
Reason : Please do not promote your services on the forum.

@md4677 Hi Michael!  If you decide to relocate to Bulgaria, I will heartily recommend Plovdiv. There is a large community of French people in Plovdiv and it's a much nicer place to retire than Sofia. It's a smaller, arty and soulful town with a lovely atmosphere. Rents are very reasonable, but other living expenses are not generally low.  There are a few places where French expats meet in Plovdiv and they seem to love it. I am originally Bulgarian, living in the UK, and am looking to relocate to a warmer place like Greece for the winter months. I must say, winters are not as warm in Bulgaria as they are in Crete.

Not sure if you are aware of so called law 5b

pensioners moving to Greece pay a flat 7% tax for upto 15 years on any and all income

basic requirements

1. not tax resident of Greece 5 out of six prior years
  2. move tax residency to Greece
  3. live in country for +186 days
  4. double taxation relief with departing country

i am myself applying under this regime

https://www.aade.gr/sites/default/files … ITC%29.pdf