English environment for young bilingual child

I am French daddy leaving half-time with my young son (born in august 2008).
I have been talking english to my son since almost 2 years.
But in Nancy, I don't find any bilingual schools or activities for bilingual kids.

I do not know any English speaking families in Nancy but I'm sure there are...

These could be a start to find a solution for my son to stay bilingual.

Welcome on board French54 ;)

I hope that you will get some replies soon!

Regards

Hi,

One solution I find is for your son to watch videos of children programs in English.  Small children can pick up up to five languages very easily.  If you have a computer or a portable video player, purchase some of the videos of Sesame Street, The backyardigans, Blues Clues or Little Einstein.  These videos are an excellent source of learning in English.

There is also a site (english-4kids.com) that you can check out the videos they have to teach toddlers in English.  My grandkids are bilingual (Spanish and English) and they learning from us introducing them to Dora the Explorer and speaking to them in both languages.  My great grandfather was French but never tough his children to speak French; now, I'm learning French via the Pimsleour videos. 

Good luck in don't get discourage,

Elys:)

Thanks for your advice.
Until now, I use english dvd my son loves to watch : thomas and its friends, noddy, puppy dog and some more...

Results are good and I am proud of my teaching !

But I want him to be able to listen other voices and discuss with english-native kids... at least once a week....

Hi,

You are using the right methods already.  It is unfortunate that there is no other methods in your area, like parents groups that may be in the same situation or International schools.  Good luck and know that even if your child, does not interact with other English speaking children now, the fundamentals will be there in place.  In the future, his/hers listening skills will be already familiarized with the English vocabulary, and when exposed to other English speaking people, will be able to pick up conversation with easy.

Elys :)

hi
This is a really good group for parents of bi and tri-lingual kidssurvivefrance.com/group/franglaiskids
with lots of friendly advice!
Best wishes
Catharine