This needs to be said...

This is a great forum but it has been overrun by non expats.

I have now got to the point where I am now coming on here less and feel disinclined to enter into conversations that have little or no bearing on living in Riyadh as an expat.

So far it is the best expat forum I've come across with a decent contribution by a range of different people. I am either too lazy to find a better one, or there really isn't such a thing out there :D

As regards the forum being overrun by non-expats, I am a newbie here, so I am not able to tell that yet, but I judge the forum by the quality of information above all, and then by the  quantity and frequency of replies.

I am also not sure whom you classify as non-expat on the forum. By all means I am not an expat in Saudi Arabia as yet, but hey, I appreciate the info that you guys who are on the ground are providing for us who intend to join the club one day.

I think this a very noble task, and for that, hats off to all of you helpful people who spend your time for the benefit of someone else.:thanks:

Thanks for the kind words, g100f.  That's the main purpose of the forum; the chit-chat and joking back and forth creates camaraderie and keeps the regulars coming back to, in turn, help others with questions and/or problems about KSA.

But what maserman is saying I totally agree with.  Many senior members of this forum feel the same and their presence and wisdom is sorely missed here.

Ditto to MM and Allie.  I have only been here 5 months but even in that short time the flavor of the chat and content have drifted from the fun banter and joking back and forth.  The info is still there and most are happy to pass on their wisdom and experiences.  But the blog has lost the character that filled a void and pasted the time that makes living here the most it can be.

Not giving up but I too have lost much of the zeal for the blog that I once had.  I'll still be out there and watching and putting in my 2 cents for what it is worth.

Maserman, I absolutely agree with and support your post 100%.  I first signed into this forum in Sept 2009, once we knew Riyadh was confirmed for us.  The information provided, the banter and the interaction was second to none, and that was due purely to the contributors of the blog.  There was trust, goodwill and sincerity.  Also, the opportunity for lively and informed debate was constantly evident was the life and soul of the blog.  Notwithstanding the humour, which was simply brilliant and made good of any bad day for most of us.

I would go as far as say had it not been for this blog, my time and experience in Riyadh would have been significantly inferior to the immensely rewarding, learned, fulfilling and profound experience I have had the privilege to experience since my first visit in March and my relocation.  My husband has been here for a year now, but even his experience did not inform me as much as or as well as this blog.  Through this blog I now have a friend base that I am proud of and people that I now hold dear.   So, it is therefore particularly sad and unfortunate that the quality of the blog has deteriorated to the extent it has and its constant 'hijacking' by non-expats.  By non-expats, I mean exactly that - people who are born and raised in this Country are not expats.  If you are thinking of coming out to the Country and need information that is absolutely fine as you are pending or potential expats and you are not from the Country. 

The further misfortune is that there has been really useful interaction and input from some none-expats but there has been many harmful and discriminatory comments and statements made by the few - so as usual, the good intent is ruined by the minority, which in turn effects the majority!

Julien and team, this is a challenge for you guys as you need to be clear on the qualifying criteria of this site and if you are calling this an 'Expat.com' site, then the joining criteria should be for 'Expats', otherwise change the name and call it something like 'Information Site for people living and working in.....'.

Sorry for the rant, but as has been said by 3 members now, this is a hot topic discussion with some of the old lags as well as some of the members who are still in their first years or few months.  If so many of us are having this discussion offline, can we all be wrong?

gowiththeflowUK wrote:

By non-expats, I mean exactly that - people who are born and raised in this Country are not expats.

nyam nyam :rolleyes:

somebuddy is poking me. :lol:
just kidding, I know what you meant GoUK.

I also agree with everyone. but I wont point fingers at a specific group. as there has been many types of trolls, moles and even rats. some even mutated. :whistle: and some were rehabilitated. :one

carry on if ya like the read.

gowiththeflowUK wrote:

Julien and team, this is a challenge for you guys as you need to be clear on the qualifying criteria of this site and if you are calling this an 'Expat.com' site, then the joining criteria should be for 'Expats', otherwise change the name and call it something like 'Information Site for people living and working in.....'.

in my humble opinion. and it has nothing to do with the fact that I'm an animator :rolleyes: it's really us who should take the initiative and start the change. or lets just say help revert the blog the way it used to be. recently we all have been less active. lets become more active and out run anyone trying to over-run the blog with petty discussions and useless subjects. lets be more constructive and keep our chit chat within the original topic and it never hurts to stray just a wee bit. :P

what I say can be disagreed to but hey, remeber what Ghandi said about change. :top: so become the change ya wana see.

Salman

Salman Omrani wrote:

in my humble opinion. and it has nothing to do with the fact that I'm an animator :rolleyes: it's really us who should take the initiative and start the change. or lets just say help revert the blog the way it used to be. recently we all have been less active. lets become more active and out run anyone trying to over-run the blog with petty discussions and useless subjects. lets be more constructive and keep our chit chat within the original topic and it never hurts to stray just a wee bit. :P

what I say can be disagreed to but hey, remeber what Ghandi said about change. :top: so become the change ya wana see.

Salman

Good thoughts, Salman ... and since you are the animator,
I will follow your lead  :lol:  This means you've got to get yourself active, too!!!

Another suggestion, a pet project of mine, is that we all contribute to the guide.  That way, when somebody comes and asks the same question that's been answered 1,843 times before, we just direct them to the Guide for info.

@Salman, some very useful comments but I feel very strongly that a firm responsibility still lies with Julien and team for the Expat criteria for the Blog.  The members have always taken full on, the responsibility to guide and inform the blog, that is what we do.  However, the moderation of the site belongs with the moderation team and our only input can be to report any mis-use or abuse accordingly.

I do not want to put a dampner on this, but Maserman and others are raising these points for a reason and we do not wish to detract from the main core and purpose of this thread.

Alliecat, yes, to add to the Guide and to be firm on direction to the guide is an excellent idea.  Would also bode us all well to try and stick to topic and if we see another post forming from a thread to simple create a new post for it so the initial post stays clear to the topic.

I agree with GWTF that it is not our job to moderate.

Look what has happened in the past when anybody has said anything, usually abuse. Now this could be down to a lack of understanding because of background, upbringing or whatever.

The reason I posed the question was that from a purely personal point of view the raison d'etre of the blog had been diminished and the fun and banter had gone.

Living out here the blog has been a lifeline and through it I have met a great many people who I am proud to call aquaintances, sorry meant friends :D

I have seen other very active blogs die because of what is happening here and do not want to see that happen here. Setting up a 'members only' blog may be an answer but that comes across as a bit elitist and could still fail if we do not all remain active.

While I neither want to define who is expat/non-expat nor want to define who can/can not post blogs :):), I must agree with all the feelings here that the quality of the discussions and the charm in this blog has considerably decreased in the past few discussions. I have been a silent spectator for a few months and has learned a lot from the information passed here and then joined this forum and enjoyed the togetherness and the friendly nature of the bloggers and gave me that final push to make a decision to move to RIYADH despite of all apprehensive information I got before making that decision.

Minority always tries to ruin majority to make their presence felt, but I think it's up to us majority Expat.comgers to make our presence felt here by keeping the hold by becoming more and more active in the blog.

While moderator team has their work cut out figuring out what to do, looking at the variety of topics already covered, we may need to be more innovative and find out various new topics to keep this forum innovative and ALIVE. Lets make that change.........
:one:one:top:

ok guys, I am back after a two weeks travel (looking for sponsors in 3 different countries).

I've just read everything here, and exchanged a few "quick PMs" with a couple of members regarding this issue.

I will think about all this, but I / WE (the team) need your help. Every suggestion / idea is welcome

By the way, thanks for constantly reporting me issues using the "report" link (it helps a lot)

I think we all have to contribute to the change:

lets just say help revert the blog the way it used to be. recently we all have been less active. lets become more active and out run anyone trying to over-run the blog with petty discussions and useless subjects. lets be more constructive and keep our chit chat within the original topic and it never hurts to stray just a wee bit.

I agree on that point

firm responsibility still lies with Julien and team for the Expat criteria for the Blog.  The members have always taken full on, the responsibility to guide and inform the blog, that is what we do.  However, the moderation of the site belongs with the moderation team and our only input can be to report any mis-use or abuse accordingly.

I also agree on that point. But I was absent for a while, I have to re-read lots of discussions. I don't think bans/deleting accounts would be the solution ? We need your opinion ... (and I need time to think / make a decision)

Another suggestion, a pet project of mine, is that we all contribute to the guide.  That way, when somebody comes and asks the same question that's been answered 1,843 times before, we just direct them to the Guide for info.

This is also a very good idea !

now this reminds me of the thanks or like button :lol:

I agree with you all. I hope Julien and his team can figure out a way to maintain the quality as more and more people come as the popularity of the site is increasing. It is a challenge indeed.

In the meantime I agree with Salman on this:

in my humble opinion. and it has nothing to do with the fact that I'm an animator  it's really us who should take the initiative and start the change. or lets just say help revert the blog the way it used to be. recently we all have been less active. lets become more active and out run anyone trying to over-run the blog with petty discussions and useless subjects. lets be more constructive and keep our chit chat within the original topic and it never hurts to stray just a wee bit.

I'll do my best!

P.S. It makes me "LOL" to think there might be someone out there now thinking "YOU MadMaz! You're one of them... the uncool ones! Damn, you don't even get it do ya!" :lol::lol::lol:

MadMaz wrote:

P.S. It makes me "LOL" to think there might be someone out there now thinking "YOU MadMaz! You're one of them... the uncool ones! Damn, you don't even get it do ya!" :lol::lol::lol:

hehehehe.