Skiing in Italy

Hi folks!

A big hello to all Expat.com members in Italy.

The ski season is approaching. As I am currently living in Rome area, I plan to try the Italian mountains this year.

Does anybody knows about Abruzzo? Which ski resort do you advice for the weekend?
What is your preferred ski resort in Italian Alps? and why?

Have you ever heard about a company or an association which organises ski weeks or weekends in Italy?

Thank you!

Cheers.
Laurent

ltmat wrote:

Hi folks!

A big hello to all Expat.com members in Italy.

The ski season is approaching. As I am currently living in Rome area, I plan to try the Italian mountains this year.

Does anybody knows about Abruzzo? Which ski resort do you advice for the weekend?
What is your preferred ski resort in Italian Alps? and why?

Have you ever heard about a company or an association which organises ski weeks or weekends in Italy?

Thank you!

Cheers.
Laurent

Hey Laurent,

How are you?

I donŽt know the maountains in central Italy, but I guess nothing in compair to the Alps.
These are old mountains so not taht high. But for a day trip at least some fun i guess.

If you decide to spend more days, tehre are may nice resorts in the alps.

Is plenty of nice places, wher you can ski for km.
for instance monterosa ski. cervinia in valle dŽaosta.
in Lombardy i like bormio, livigno. or the dolomits in Alto adige.

About association organizing ski trip you should check for the ski clubs (sci club) . In the north of Italy every town has his own...not really sure how the situation looks like in the rest of italy. with teh sci club you can also get a cheaper ski pass.

where in abruzzo are you? and do you have any knowledge of italian? i will have a look for you in  the net if i find anything.

cheers

marco

Hi Marco
I'm very well, thanks :)
Also thank you for your advise regarding the ski resorts in Alps.
I heard about Roccaraso, which seems to be one of the greatest ski resort in Abruzzo and only 2 hours from Rome. I think I'll try it as soon as the season starts.
I don't speak Italian at this time, unfortunately! But I'm keen to learn. If you have some links, I can use a web translator.

Cheers.
Laurent

laurent,

have a look here skiforum.it/forum/index.php
they also have asubforum in english

here sciclub.it/regione/lazio.htm a list of ski clubs in lazio.

tell me if you need any help ;)

ciao

marco

ciao ragazzi

i'm irish and live in abruzzo 9 years near Teramo...they are different  places to ski just let me know if ye are interested

shane

Hey Shane,
Yes, definitely! I'm thinking about organising and promoting a ski session in abruzzo area.
Would you be interested? And do you know when the season usually starts?

Ciao.

(moderated: no free ads in your very first message)

Roccaraso is great and one of the biggest resorts in Abruzzo, I definitely recommend it!

Did you ever have any success locating ski resorts?

I recently took the Savda bus from Milano to Cervinia, and the bus was extrememly convenient, economical, and quick.  Door-to-door from my apartment to the ski lifts (impianti) with <100m walking via tram/metro/bus.

But, I found the skiing itself pretty disappointing.  It seems Breuil-Cervinia/Zermatt is a big area but all the steep parts are for looking only.  The "piste" (marked runs) were all very flat and boring.  Going even slightly off-piste (fuori piste) was extremely perilous due to hidden rocks.

Perhaps it is just a bad snow year, but I would not go back to that mountain anyway due to its lack of challenge.  So for next time I need to do more research.  Back "home" in California, my favorite mountain was Squaw Valley, and I like to get pretty sick and twisted on the technically challenging stuff, so I hope I can find somewhere fun here in Italy.