I need some advice about England and Scotland

I need to know how is the situation there, if there is a chance to find a job. I'd like also to know which are the cities with more job chances. My native language is the Italian one.

Hi NorthernStar,

Reading the following articles can surely help finding more details about the job prospect:

The labor market in the United Kingdom

Find a job in the United Kingdom from abroad

Find a job in the UK

Good luck,

David.

Expat-blog team.

Thank you very much!

Licia

Thank you very much! Here is my situation:

- I'm looking for a job in UK, because I prefer it as a country and I saw that there are more job offers.
- I've a high school diploma as Tourism Services Technician, 3 years of experience as administrative employee (data entry and archiving) and good computer skills .
- I'm willing and I'd like to learn any job.
- My English level is B1 and I'd like to bring it to the C2 level, attending a course.
- I can relocate after 23rd May because I've to finish my Dutch course, which is mostly funded by the city hall. Otherwise, I should pay for the whole fare. After that, I've to fix some bureaucracy formalities to leave the Netherlands.

One question pops to mind as far as Scotland is concerned.
At the moment, UK immigration controls Scotland but Independence may be on the cards.
If this happens, one wonders what the situation will be for expats in that country.

Will their immigration status simply be accepted or will they have to go through a load of paperwork and fees before they become legally entitled to stay there.
The unemployment situation may be bad for an independent Scotland and that may make life more difficult for expats who work there at the moment.
Also, will EU member states' citizens still have the same rights as they do at the moment as an independent Scotland would not be an EU member?

Well Mas fred you do get around!

Indeed big debate. Hopefully Scotland gets it's freedom and the English can laugh as we put up borders with fences and stop 'em from coming over without a visa.

But more seriously any Italian will find Scotland too cold. And jobs are scarce in Scotland. Half of 'em are abroad looking for jobs. Met loads in Malaysia as simply no jobs for graduates and skilled professionals.

London has jobs.

Nemodot wrote:

Well Mas fred you do get around!

Yes, I've been expelled from many countries.

Nemodot wrote:

Indeed big debate. Hopefully Scotland gets it's freedom and the English can laugh as we put up borders with fences and stop 'em from coming over without a visa..

The scotch will be begging for the English to visit and spend Pound notes, pretty much as the ex Soviet block countries were desperate for Dollars.

Nemodot wrote:

And jobs are scarce in Scotland.

London has jobs.

I know Scotland has a pretty evil unemployment problem but I'm unable to comment on the situation in London.

An interesting point just popped into my head but I won't mention it here as some consider it to be animal cruelty.
However, after thinking about that, I wondered what Scottish ESL teachers will do.
At the moment, the UK is listed as a native speaking country with no mention of the areas that covers.
If Scotland splits off, will Scottish people still be accepted as UK citizens for ESL work abroad?

The cold weather wouldn't be a problem. Because 8 hours would be spended working (if I find a job...) and other 8 hours I would sleep. In the other 8 hours, if the weather isn't good, I can invent a lot of things to do at home. And then, if you're cold, you can wear 1 more sweater. Instead, in Italy, during the summer, the weather is so hot that you would like to go naked, but you can't do it... I come from a place where winters are too cold and summers are too hot, because it's far from the sea. As I told, during the winters I wore more sweaters. But I couldn't stand the summer heat, really. It makes you sweat a lot and it makes you nervous.

By the way, you both made an interesting point. I didn't consider it. I don't know what will heppen to the Scottish people who work abroad, if their country will be indipendent. We have a similar situation in Italy. My region (Lombardy) would like to be part of Switzerland. But if this thing will come true, people from Lombardy will become Extra-EU citizens. It isn't the same thing for people from Trentino-Alto Adige, who want to become Austrian: in any case they will remain EU citizens. That's all that I know.

Another possible problem for expats wanting to live in Scotland.

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-26362321

The probable loss of the Pound as Scottish currency may prompt a lot of companies to move to England.
These massive job losses may well effect the chances for expat employees, new and old.
Nationalist governments have a tendency to remove people they see as a problem, real or imagined.
They also have a tendency to blame foreigners for anything they can, regardless of little things like the truth.
Scotland may be better avoided until after the vote.

Best place to get a job is Nottinghamshire.  mansfield is very cheap for rental.

Many thanks for your reply! I was just thinking about something different from London, also for the rent. I don't want to go to Lodon because it is expensive.