Short-term retail job

Hi everyone,

I'm going to start looking for the job in Toronto now, and I have a question regarding this.

My husband and I just finished Canadian University and now we both have Master degree in Statistics. We can't afford live here for a long time without a job, and since we know that it's hard to find a qualified job here, we made up the following plan. My husband will look for a qualified job, based on his degree, and I will find something else for now. Something that is easier to find.

I was thinking about Cashier or Sale Associate.

The first thing is that I almost don't have any work experience. I had some volunteer experience in Canada, also I worked as a Graduate Assistant at Canadian university and was a private math tutor both in Canada and in Russia. Also I have a work experience as a Summer Camp Leader, but it's not Canadian, it's Russian experience.

My first question: is it okay to apply for Sale Associate and Cashier jobs with this experience? Or you would recommend something else to me? (BTW, I'm 22 if it makes any difference)

My second question is how can I explain why do I want this job, given that I have a Statistics degree?

Retail industry requires a lot of data analysis, and since that is what I studied, I can say that I want to have career in retail. And before taking a job with an actual data analysis, I want firstly to understand sales and retail industry more, I want to get the experience in this field as a part of my career goals achievement..

What do you think about this idea?

I really appreciate any comments, any suggestion - anything.
Thank you in advance!

Hi,

I think you should just go and apply for the jobs, and see what happens.
You can even "dither" your CV: Sometimes omit some details.

(and as a longer term suggestion: learn to code. Programming makes a killer combination with your profession. Something simple like Java or Python will do, R is a good start too)

Thank you very much for your answer!

I already know a little R, Minitab, know Matlab and have some experience with C++ and SQL. But I think I need to improve all these skills very much. My husband is more proficient in programming than me, so he is the one who is looking for QUALIFIED job right now.

Okay. I'm finishing my resume and just start applying.

I'm still concerned about that question: What should I answer if they ask me: Why are you looking for the retail job, instead of data analysis?

Why would the level 2 shop assistant interviewing you doubt your explanation about the job market for Statisticians?
But you can always just leave it off your CV if it worries you so much.

Getting deeper into Computing Science should be simple, in fact most programmers hit a brick wall in algorithm theory when they have to work out worst case and average case runtimes, or select a datastructure that performs the best under a specific access pattern, which is right down your alley.

Okay, got it!
Thanks. Good luck to me.

Yes, that probably sums it up better:
Good luck, cheer up, don't care about rejections, there's always the next one and you learn from each attempt!

Thank you very much for your nice words. This positive attitude helps me a lot!