Finding employment in the funeral service in Malta

am wondering what the chances are of my wife and i finding employment in the funeral service in malta , my wife is a qualified funeral director and i am a qualified funeral service operative and we wanted to finish our careers off in malta. i am 53 and my wife 51 , and what sort of wage could we expect doing this sort of work there , many  thanks

Hi kirtley,

welcome to the forum.

There are several international funeral service companies in Malta. Try contacting them for information about work opportunities.

Do you speak Maltese?

Jobs as employees will probably pay on the usual Maltese level depending on the exact position but I have no knowledge of any details about work in the funeral business. I have been to a few funerals and seen many more but that is about it .

Cheers
REicky

Thanks have looked up mallineries they seem the biggest funeral company on the island, no we dont speak maltese , isnt English widely spoken

Not as wide as you might think.

All official business tends to be in Maltese or fall back into Maltese even if it starts in English so it might be difficult to make any kind of funeral arrangements without speaking Maltese.

The language of Malta is Maltese!

Cheers
Ricky

cheers ricky have been to malta on 6 occasions and rarely hear maltese but maybe because they know were tourists, is it an easy language to learn , thanks gordon

its easy to learn if you speak Arabic

its not easy to learn - but stick with it - even if you learn some basic phrases and words - it helps - its easier to recognize words when reading than in day to day speech. I probably know about 300-400 words but not many of them stuck together would make a coherent sentence but it all helps - and is all part of the integration process.

In business id say ricky was right - it may start in english but will sure as eggs are eggs end in maltese.

learning the lingo is a big big help... at least it shows you are willing to try and even a little goes a long way

Hello kirtley8.

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

Just to note that a new thread has been created from your message on the Malta forum.

Thank you,
Aurélie

You may find an opening targeting  the expat community on the island. Lots of expats are retired and would perhaps appreciate an English funeral agent who would handle the whole process. There is currently no cremations carried out in Malta so it has to be organised "off Island" and seems complicated. So maybe an opening there?

Terry

love the outfit terry and the tan is excellent

toonarmy9752 wrote:

love the outfit terry and the tan is excellent

Well I noticed that there are lots of Elvis impressionists but not a lot of superman ones, so I thought there's an opening for the singing superman !!

:idontagree:

back to topic - Terry's idea may be worth considering as an opportunity to explore.

nb Terry as superman you WILL be offered super sex  - in your position i would take the soup.