Resident and work permit for Malta

Updated 2020-05-05 14:51

Living in Malta does not necessarily mean working in Malta; however, many will likely seek employment while living in the country. So if you are planning to relocate and work in Malta, advance planning is recommended. For all non-Maltese citizens, you will require e-Residence if you intend to stay more than three months in the country. Make sure to seek all relevant information before proceeding further.

Work in Malta

European Union/European Economic Area Nationals and their family members have the right to live and work throughout the EU, so these citizens may utilise the services of EURES (European Employment Services) to search for a job in Malta.

Third Country Nationals are required to apply for the right to work in Malta. Generally, an employment licence is offered to foreign nationals having specific qualifications and skills that are not available locally. Thus, to hire a Third Country National, your employer must ensure that you have the expertise required and the best profile before applying for a work permit on your behalf.

If you come from a non-European Union country, you will apply for the Single Permit, which includes both the right to residence and work.

If you intend to set up a business in Malta, Malta Enterprise is the official national development agency facilitating that process for you.


Identity Malta issues e-Residence documents but works in connection with JobsPlus. The Single Permit for residence and work is applied for at Identity Malta in Valletta, but you must first collect the required documents from JobsPlus.

Applying for an employment licence

Third Country Nationals apply for a Single Permit to include the right to both reside and work in Malta. The application process includes checks by the Police, Immigration Office, and JobsPlus.

If you are still abroad, your employer may submit the application on your behalf. You will then be granted permission to come to Malta once the application has been approved.

The Single Permit is valid based on the nature of employment and the contract between you and your employer.

For current requirements for new applicants, renewing applicants, applicants who are still abroad, as well as industry-specific applicants, review the appropriate forms provided by Identity Malta under the section 'Single-Work Permits' here.

Living in Malta

If you wish to live in Malta, you can choose between two types of residence types: permanent and ordinary residence.

Ordinary residence is available to EU/EEA Nationals. The tax level for those with ordinary residence ranges between 0-35% of your income, minus a tax credit, depending on how much you earn and your marital status. This residency permit is renewed every five years.

Permanent residence is available to everyone who moves to Malta, regardless of nationality. All Third Country Nationals will have to apply for permanent residence. EU/EEA Nationals may select this residence if it is a better fit ' always consult an attorney for clarification on legal parameters. This residency permit is renewed every year.

Apply at Identity Malta in Valletta

Department of Citizenship and Expatriates Affairs
Triq Il-Wied Ta' L-Imsida
(Valley Road, Msida)
L-Imsida, Malta.
Phone: 2590 4800, 2590 4871
Email: [email protected]

Useful links:

Government of Malta
JobsPlus - Resources

We do our best to provide accurate and up to date information. However, if you have noticed any inaccuracies in this article, please let us know in the comments section below.