Running a home based food business

Hello! I am looking for advice on where to find information, or was wondering if anyone knows how to run a home based food business in Malta? I would like to bake cupcakes, cakes and other baked goods to sell at the markets or by order, and I was wondering what licences I would need to be able to do this or if this type of thing is even allowed? I've googled and searched everything I can think of but have had no luck. Thank you!

First you need a food handling certificate.  To get this, you have to attend a one day course.

Then, you will have to rent a space that has to meet many criteria.  This must be strictly commercial and not shared privately.  The laws are very strict.

If you are serious about this let me know.  ***

Moderated by Priscilla 5 years ago
Reason : do not post your personal contact details on the forum please, thank you

@rtintle

For security reasons please do not post any contact details here on the open forum. Use the messages system for this.

How much it costs to open a home based kitchen?? And what's legalities that we need to run before we open??

@Enuguthala Anil Kumar

Check with Business First.

There is some more information here:

https://www.businessfirst.com.mt/licens … -premises/

Also check as a third country national if you are allowed to be self employed. This would depend on what basis your rights to residency in Malta have been granted. If you are in Malta on a single permit, sponsored by your employer, it is not as simple as just changing to become self-employed.