Married in mauritius where can I divorce?

Can anyone help/advise me as to what to do?
My husband and I are both British.
We married in Mauritius.
Live in UAE.
Do we need to divorce in Mauruitius or can we divorce in UK or UAE?
Thank you in advance.

Hi ascruts,

Are you and your husband both residents of the UAE or UK? If so, then how long have you had your residency for?

Hi dompriya,
Both residents in UAE for 11 years

I understand you are both English, got married in Mauritius and have been currently residing in UAE. In that case, you can apply for a divorce petition in England even if  neither of you are able to be physically present there. As long as the mariage was done under laws that are recognised in England and Wales you should be ok. I would ask a member of the family who is currently in the UK to find a sollicitor who is willing to represent your case.

Thank you for your help and advise, very much appreciated.

You can get divorce in UK for what I know. However your divorce will not be recognised only in Mauritius itself, unless you do something called an "Executory". This involves making an appearance in the Supreme Court in Mauritius saying you have divorced in UK. Cost approx £300 to do. However you need not bother with all this if you don't plan to live, work or do business in Mauritius itself!

Stormtrooper is right. You can have a divorce in UK, and it will only matter in Mauritius if you live or work here.

Married in Mauritius 40 years ago and divorced in UK recently
both mauritian and British citizens.
I am back in Mauritius ànd have been told that the divorce ìs not legal here. Please help thanks

d.appavoo wrote:

Married in Mauritius 40 years ago and divorced in UK recently
both mauritian and British citizens.
I am back in Mauritius ànd have been told that the divorce ìs not legal here. Please help thanks

It will be a good idea to read the whole thread , especially post #6 , which answers your question.

I am sorry!!Any divorce pronounced in UK has to be legalised/registered in Mauritius!!By Registering this you have a legal document to fall on!! You can then take legal proceedings regarding property you might have purchased jointly in Mauritius!!