Does Faith Healing amount to Unethical Conversion?

Yikes!

I hope the topic doesnt poke into a hornets nest. My intentions in bringing up the quesdtion is based on a recent event in Sri Lanka where two women died at the hands of faith healers and which has created a hue and cry by the Buddhist majority there. I sam aware that there are faith healers in all religions and schools of thought across the globe and hence the topic is not directed towards any one single group or religion, just to set the ground rules atraight.

See an extract from todays Sunday nespaper in Colombo with the link attached for further browsing for anyone who weishes to engage in this discussion.

http://www.lakbimanews.lk/special/spe2.htm

The recent deaths of two women who allegedly lost consciousness while attending healing sessions conducted by a Christian fundamentalist priest held at the Victoria Park last month, has for the umpteenth time brought to the spotlight, the controversial topic of unethically converting gullible people into religions other than the one they are born into, under the guise of curing long-standing illnesses and ailments etc.
unquote

Possibly.

It's kind of like a sales pitch in a way. You want someone to convert to a religion you have to sell them something, something that pulls them towards that religion. In almost any case where convincing is needed, one needs to present a "miracle" or strong evidence to create an attraction to that religion. Faith Healing is a stepping stone in converting someone by curing them of ailments and leaving them astounded and wanting to know more.

The recent deaths of two women who allegedly lost consciousness while attending healing sessions conducted by a Christian fundamentalist priest held at the Victoria Park last month, has for the umpteenth time brought to the spotlight, the controversial topic of unethically converting gullible people into religions other than the one they are born into, under the guise of curing long-standing illnesses and ailments etc.
unquote

A little more information is needed before drawing the conclusions that are arrived at above.

I don't know that "unethically converting gullible people into religions other than the one they are born into" is actually unethical. 

You have no choice about the religion you were born into and should be able to choose when you are older, rather than be saddled with a decision not of your making.

I think the article quoted smacks of religious "rightousness" if not of outright nationalism.

You won't catch me defending a fundamentalist preacher or his practices, but this sounds more like a witch hunt than a search for facts or issues.

Those of us who come from third world nations that were colonized by the Catholic/Christian Western nations (Portugal, Holland & Britain), and also had the opportunbity to witness some of the events that unfolded duringt the last vestiges of those times are fully aware of how unethical methods were used to induce the natives to adopt Christianity and Catholicism by means of seducing them with education, healthcare, jobs, property, and even political power.

Need I say more?

But that's not what is being discussed in this newspaper article, MM.  Don't confuse the terrible colonizers of Europe with an evangelist today.  The two are not equatable.

I understand what you are saying...but if that's the discussion you want to have, the newspaper article you quoted wasn't in the same universe.

Wrong MS. It is. You don come from a third world nation that was colonized by priest toting militaries. Its because of that legacy thats in the mind of the people of he nation that any form of proselytization thereafter is automatically linked to unethical conversion.

Just look at what is happening on the ground in Haiti today where several American Christian missionaries have been arrested for attempting to take away Haitian chldren out of the country to ntheir missions without any official documentation. Thats the crux of the problem.

It is sad that many of these so called men and women of God are soley intent on increasing their numbers rather than improving the quality of their parish by teaching them the real values of their scripture.

At the end of the day its gonna become a race of hw many more we have and how many less you have.

We are all immersed in a numbers game, sadly.

Numbers game?  It's always been that way.  Why do you think the Catholic Church has always labeled birth control a sin?  Gotta build up those ranks (even if it means the '3rd world  ranks' live in squalor due children they can't afford).

BTW, I'm Catholic.

It is a cery sad situation, indeed, in this age and time of modern technology and upbeat thinking that there are groups, parties, sects and organizations who think and believe that quantity is strength.

No doubt the democratic system of goverfnance goea smy majority vote and that may be prudent enough more so for developed and educated nations rather than for illiterate third world people. Yet, to judge strength by numbers in the world we live in is absolutrely futile and stupid.

I believe in free choice, and I agree with MisterStretch.

how free is free?