Moving to Kuwait

Hi, I am interested in finding out as many facts as possible about moving to Kuwait from Dubai. I guess it is quite different. Ideally, I'd like to find out some expat tips please, such as if it is friendly, what are the best areas to live in, where and what are some of the best compounds to live in, the best clubs to join. What are rents like if you have an allowance?

Also, what do people enjoy doing there. Are there good spots to visit in the desert? Any sports clubs? Theatres? New restaurants, cinemas, etc? Please can you tell me the good things and the bad stuff about being an expat there.

Lastly, what are the expat restrictions on women there please?
Many thanks for any replies.

Hi,

I moved to Kuwait from Dubai in December 2008 and, while I don't regret the move, I can't help but feel that I have stepped back in time.

Kuwait is much less stressful than Dubai once you settle in. However, the process of settling in is much longer and, at times, you will be tempted to just leave Kuwait.

It is easier to socialize with Kuwaitis than it is with Emiratis. However, the Emiratis are much more professional what takes half an hour to do in Dubai could take up to three months in Kuwait.

There are many nice areas to live in, depending on the area you prefer. If you like the crowd and a busy neighborhood you could live in Salmiya. A more quiet area is Jabriya. Salwa is a nice area, but the quality of houses is generally bad in Salwa.Of course, there are many other areas to choose from depending on where you work.

The rents vary from KD 250 for a one bedroom apartment up to KD 700 or more for a four bedroom apartment. You can find rents that suit your income much more easily than in Dubai, although the finishing leaves a lot to be desired. What is considered "luxury" in Kuwait is slightly above average in Dubai.

The best club to join, in my opinion, is Al Corniche Club. It offers good facilities and has a great gym.

There are many good restaurants in Kuwait. There are also many cinemas and a few malls. But, restaurants aside, everything is a tackier version of Dubai.

In summary, you have to be very patient when working onyour official documents as the government sector is completely inefficient and it is almost impossible to get your papers done without wasta. Laws change overnight are are often not communicated until the last minute.