Where walk a dog?

Hi everybody,

I am here since a month now and my doggy has been released from quarantine:D. I have been very surprised when I try to find a good place to walk him. All of the mountain and the national park do not allow pets. :(

Moreover there is a lot of stray dog here so i am afraid of walking him for a long period in the street. :/

Thanks for any advice.

Dogtravel

We walk our two dogs most days along the beaches/rocks in the north of the island - Pointe aux Pimentes, Pointe aux Cannoniers, Cap Malheureux or Paradise Cove.

Park at the public beaches and head either left or right along the beach and onto the coast paths. You can pretty much walk around the whole coast and there are hardly any people or stray dogs once you leave the public beaches.

Thank you for you reply. I will try to get away from the public beach. i live in Flic en Flac.

Good walk:-)

Hi Dogtravel,
Which type of dog do you have?
There seem to be a group of dog owners who organize activities with their dogs: walks, exercising, shows, etc.
So let me know and I'll try to put you in relation with them.
Arlette

Hi

Can you give me some advice on moving pets to Mauritius? My husband is considering a job offer, and this is one major consideration for us.

Is the quarantine period long?  Ideas of costs? 

Thanks

Sam

Dogtravel,

Sorry for the delay in sending the information (my husband was here on vacation :D so I was not very active on the forum).

If you're still interested, you can get in touch with Avinash, his email or call him on 4967267.

He's a member of MSPCA.

He told my daughter that depending on the breed of dog you have, he can put you into contact with the corresponding breed club.

As I told you before there are all kinds of activities organize by those clubs.

Hope this will help you
All the Best

Arlette

Hi Sam,

The quarantine period depends on the country you come from (for example, I was arriving from Saudi Arabia and my poor little doggy had to stay 3 months).

There are several analysis that you will have to provide and your dog must be chipped and of course have all the required vaccinations (rabies...).

Best is to contact the responsible person in Reduit:

Mr T. Gunness on +230 4541016 or via email.

All the best to you and your husband

Arlette

Hi,
Sorry for the delay. I did not have internet access for a while.

Thanks Arlette for your advice, I will have a look at the MSPCA.

Regarding the quarantine period, my doggy had a month (I came from australia.)

Regards,

Dogtravel

Hi Dogtravel,

Don't call MSPCA, call the guy I gave you the contacts nr & email... (Aveenash) , tell him you got his contact from Christina from Trou aux Biches

Arlette

Thanks for your response, I will get in contact.  My husband is currently in the process of references and checks, so gives me a little time to investigate process of bring my bassett hound to Mauritius.

Thanks
Sam

Does anyone know if you can visit with your pet while they are in quarantine? ;-)

You can have a 20 minutes visit, once a day.

Cheers

I went twice a week (don't have car so went by taxi which cost a lot) and there was no time limit!

I used to take time to shampoo him once a week then wash his kot (in summer time the smell would be unbearable) and then let him run around in one of those enclosures they have for the dogs to run and play.

This means it would take around one hour minimum...

Hello,

My dog was in quarantine two months ago, and there is a time limit if there is a lot of dog in the station. So we had around 20 minutes!!! Some days we could stay an hour, most often, when you visit during the afternoon.

Hi

This is one thing that is really worrying me about our move. How have you all found your dogs cope with the separation and the strange surroundings, not to mention the flight over? 20 minutes seems a really short time. I've read on other posts that people have been able to walk their dogs in a park? Is the care at the kennels good? Are the staff nice? My little westie, Harvey,  will be 10 when we come over and I wonder how well he will cope with the heat, What are the kennels like, can you take there own bedding, toys etc. Is it quite shady for them?

Sorry, lots of questions! But really would appreciate any information.

Thanks very much

Donna

Hi Donna,

Well to say frankly 2 years ago they were kind of oldish (don't know if they have made any improvement since) and during summertime due to the heat it is very smellish (although the kennels are showered every day) but then again it's only us humans that get annoyed by it!
Staff is nice and helpful!
Vets say that dogs don't have any notion of time (and I'm quite sure of it because if I would leave my dog for 5 minutes or for a couple of days, it would be the same excitement upon return home). The separation is harsher on us than on them I believe.
You might have a time limit on certain days to walk your dog in the enclosed park but you can stay with him in his kennel if you wish.
You can bring his bedding, toys etc. and there is even a basin where you can shampoo him!
In their space they have a covered space and an open space as well.
Hope this helps
Cheers
Arlette

@FeeAcer

I'm not sure if you're still active on the forum. We're moving to Tamarin, I'd love to be put in contact with anyone that's looking for a dog walking partner to explore the area.

Also any dog training or agility classes in the South
FWIW: This is 12 y.o post and sadly you won't hear from FeeAcer.
Hello everyone,

Welcome to Expat.com @Victoria Strauss!1f60a.svg

Feel free to start a new thread on the Mauritius forum to ask your questions.

Also, do not forget to read the Living in Mauritius guide.1f609.svg

Best of luck,

Cheryl
Expat.com team

[Thread closed]
Closed