Moving to Mauritius

HI everyone

I am a South African currently living in Dubai. My husband has just accepted an offer to work in Mauritius and we will be moving to Port Louis soon.  I have some questions and hope there is someone who will be able to answer them for me.  He has been given a living allowance to rent out a fully furnished house.  Which areas do most of the expats live in?  He will be working in Coromandel (? spelling) What areas should I start looking for houses to rent in?  I am a teacher (special needs) is there a need for this in Mauritius? I also have a 2 year old daughter and will want her to go to a nursery?  Are there any decent english ones in the area?  Sorry for all the questions but hope some of them can be answered!! Many thanks in advance!

Welcome on board,

most expatriates live around Grand Bay, Tamarin, Flic en Flac. Tamarin or Flic en Flac would be fine for you ;)

Thanks Julien, will start looking in and around that area!!

Hello

I found your site and found it to be very helpful and interesting.
We “myself and wife with one daughter age 3” are thinking to make the big move to Mauritius from South Africa. Like all concerned parents there are a couple of questions we would like to know before making the big move.
First just to give you a background, we are self employed, we have our own Telecommunications company.
We have had a look at all the different visas available. But for our purpose the options are business visa or self employment visa. Could anyone please give us more detail as to go about it, who has gone through the process before ext.

Then as a parent we would like to know which is the best place to stay or area, I don't want to sound modest but we make in the region of about 1 to 1.5 million MUR per month.

So here are some questions:
1. Education for my daughter - private schooling preferred.
2. Medical insurance
3. Housing - renting for 3 years before buying. Estate Agents
4. Transport - just for shops and sightseeing as we work from home.
5. Internet connectivity options
6. Security
7. Appointment of a PA
8. Cell phone options
9. Banking
10. Consumables, water lights, gas ext.
11. Any other info or advise would be greatly appreciated.
12. Appointment of IT staff.

Hope to hear from someone soon.

Kind regards

Jan Botha

Hi All,

Im a south african ,I have applied for a Job in mauritius which was successful but my problem is that they have asked me to do some research and let them know how much i want to get paid in dollars.My question is how much do i need to leave a comfortable life?

Hi bronindubai,

I have just moved along with my family after 18 years in Sharjah to Mauritius this month. Hope our families can meet some day.

Cheers

Terence