Offering tutoring and proof reading - can anyone help?

Hi,

My partner is looking for work as an English Literature teacher (she has 9 years experience), and is sending her CV to the independent/private schools. In the meantime she is trying to get some interest for services she is offering in proof reading and English tuition (not as a foreign language).

Does anyone have any idea how to get people to see ads for these? We have tried maltapark, freeads and Sunday Times, but nothing firm has come in. We have also sent a poster to the Students Union as they said they would put it on their noticeboard. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Jack

Hi Jack!

You should you should try posting an advert in the classes section of Malta classifieds.

Regards
Armand

Tried a few places and got one bit of work (via Maltapark) but not as much as we need. I've set up a Facebook page English Language Services to see if that helps. People said there would be a lot of work for a highly qualified and experienced English teacher, but it doesn't seem to be the case...

adverts in the local labour and nationalist clubs and band clubs. put the word about with other expats.....an ad in the classifieds here.

Ad in the classifieds went in in December last year. Never had a response. How do I go about putting ads in those clubs, they always seem very uninviting from the outside!!

just ask at the bar - they usually have a pin board for locals to advertise things and services....they look uninviting but they are the cheapest places to drink and enjoy local fayre.....and you get to know more about where and whats going on where you live - its more about integrating with the local nationals - we love that side of the band clubs...and labour clubs.....cant speak about the nationlist club really altho i have been in them on occasions. You dont have to be members to use them.....

OK thanks, if you know of anyone who might benefit from the service please do visit the site, like it, and pass it on!!

have you tried advertising here

http://www.izjed.com/

Thanks, every little helps as an unnamed supermarket might say... We are just trying to drum up some work so we can stay in Malta, as it is, for my wife after 9 years of work, not having enough to do for her may drive us home...

this is always the problem here - finding suitable work and things to do to live and pass the time.....

We are here with my job so we are comfortable, but she doesn't know anyone, has nothing to do and may go mad!!!

what about trying the local schools libraries that are open to the public to use place an advert there too. I guess its the old dsaying of networking in places that you wouldnt normally go or associate with but it has to be tried - like rambling clubs, dance classes, boccia clubs, the local council offices, even doctors waiting rooms......swimming clubs and public pools. We must admit to meeting more locals by using the labour and band clubs than anywhere else, and that in itself gets the word out.

Cheers toonarmy for the very kind advice! Much appreciated!!

no problem..... we try...

I suggest setting up a page on facebook, it's very easy to create and many people are on facebook these days.. you can also pay for advertising but it's not so expensive (between 13c and 40c per click), so it's actually quite worth it..

Hi Anna,

I actually set up a Facebook page last week and had a little go at advertising, so we now have I think 61 likes, mostly in Malta, so that's promising. It's just getting the message to the right people now, who need the services!

FB page now has 200 + likes with a spot of advertising, but no bites yet... Trying to get leaflets out what with the start of term coming up. Fingers remain firmly crossed! I tried izjed but very limited visitors by the look of it.

Go to the English language schools and offer her services there. In The St Julians area there are a lot of schools.  Has she thought about just working in one of those as a teacher ??

http://www.maltalingua.com/jobs/

Maybe there are qualifications she can get here that would help her move forward in this type of teaching i.e. English for foreigners.. etc this would get her out of the house and get her meeting new people, my wife was the same and was bored, as i had come here with a job already in hand and she then went to work for World Aviation Group in Luqa.

Hope this helps

Julian

Julian

Cheers scubaboy, she isn't an EFL teacher, she is an academic English teacher of 9 years. She has done a little EFL but it really isn't her bag - but it's still an option should it get desperate.

She has applied to many English jobs as advertised in the Times, jobs she would get in the UK in a second (indeed her job in the UK was at a higher level than any jobs advertised here) but either doesn't get an interview or gets treated in extremely unprofessional manners (calling her several months after sending in an application and asking for extra references or if she is still interested, and STILL dont invite her in!)...

Well we gave up trying to get a job in the end. Perhaps her CV was too rich, and so perhaps they thought she would be too expensive.

Hi,

sorry to hear that but thanks so much for giving us the feedback.

Cheers
Ricky