Vertical Mobility

Is it possible to experience vertical mobility (better your social position) through hard work & ability? Or are factors such as ethnicity,gender,geographical location,financial ability, and luck too much to overcome. Some have broken these bonds and accomplished their dreams. Please share how!!!

Well, in my opinion, vertical mobility in Kenya is greatly affected by major factors of corruption: nepotism, bribery etc. This has hindered many qualified professionals from realizing their full potential, and therefore encouraging the country's greatest loss of skilled and semi-skilled manpower through brain-drain.

Well, in my case, I believe that the only factor hindering me from realizing my dreams is financial ability. In a rotting society where corruption takes centerstage, getting a well-deserved job is proving to be quite a hustle. But all the same, I believe that one day I'll live my dream and until then, I shall let nothing and no one blur that vision.

Grace.

Wow,

What a response!
Thanks for adding another (variable) which would be political corruption oppressing dreams. Grace, I hope and wish that you accomplish all of your goals!

Robert

Thank you Robert, I appreciate it :-)

Grace.

Vertical mobility? That is a new expression for me.

I went from homeless on the streets of the USA to wealthy international businessman. That was definitely a step up in social position.

Can anyone do it? Yes, if they are willing to do whatever it takes to succeed at their goal. Most people are not willing to do what is necessary to succeed. That requires action, it is easier to do nothing.

Ability and hard work are helpful but not everything.

ericwt,

Excellent response; there are many people with dreams of relocating to another country in this forum to better their future for their families and for themselves (also for travel purposes). The purpose of my question is to show them that success can happen with hard work and an attitude of "never giving up on ones goals"

Thanks ericwt,

Robert

Live your expat project without any stress thanks to advice from expats

OR