Marrying a moroccan woman with a criminal record

Hi, I wanted to marry a moroccan woman but I have a criminal record - assault occasioning actual bodily harm - I was convicted in 2017 and was 22 years old at the time. When I was going through due process my lawyer said "thankfully the crime isn't malicious", I basically tackled someone to the ground after a heated exchange and because of the direction of their fall, their head hit the corner of a wall which caused them to bleed from their head. I administered first aid, Police and Ambulance were shortly called and I was arrested and charged at the scene.

At the date of the trial I pleaded guilty and produced something like 12 character references (something even the magistrate was shocked at) but ultimately was given a conviction in order to "send a message to the community". 

Anyway, 7 years later I'm still feeling the effects of my conviction now that I want to marry a woman from morocco. I'm afraid the police and the judge will reject my marriage because of my conviction; it doesn't help that its a topic I don't like talking about too because of how it has affected me through life. It also doesn't help that I'm suspicious of corruption in the moroccan public sector.

I was thinking of hiring a lawyer to help me make my case. Should I do this? Can anyone recommend a good lawyer to help make my case before the judge/police?

Would it be easier to just skip the whole "getting married in morocco" thing and just fly her to Australia and get married here?

@rattional Better do it in AUS. Moroccan process is extremely long for people with clean records. I assume for you it will take months.

@Benson Harrison

How long does it normally take for someone with a clean record?

@rattional i started since the 22nd of April still not married yet 

@rattional For me it took 10 days(excluding weekends) but I prepared everything before going to Morocco, including translation.

Generally it takes 20 days to 1 month for everyone. I assume if you have criminal record it will be even more as you can expect judge, police interviews.