Marrying a Moroccan lady with a criminal record

Hi, i wonder if anyone has information on this topic, i want to marry my Moroccan girlfriend in Morocco, I have 1 criminal record and spent 6 months in prison in the uk, this was completely of my own doing and have regretted it ever since, the crime was fraud and this happened in 2009, as soon as i was caught i took responsibility and pleaded guilty, since then i have turned my life around, run my own business, converted to islam and not been in any trouble at all since then, i know i need a criminal record check to be allowed to marry in Morocco but do they give consideration to the time that has elapsed and how i live my life today? Tia

MrZandos wrote:

Hi, i wonder if anyone has information on this topic, i want to marry my Moroccan girlfriend in Morocco, I have 1 criminal record and spent 6 months in prison in the uk, this was completely of my own doing and have regretted it ever since, the crime was fraud and this happened in 2009, as soon as i was caught i took responsibility and pleaded guilty, since then i have turned my life around, run my own business, converted to islam and not been in any trouble at all since then, i know i need a criminal record check to be allowed to marry in Morocco but do they give consideration to the time that has elapsed and how i live my life today? Tia

Hi. A friend had a simile situation when he was marrying in Casablanca.

To be honest everything is considered and ultimately it's up to the judge to make the final decision. You have will 3 interviews and it's Up to you to convince them that you have changed.

Unfortunately my friend did not succeed however once he was declined he hired a good lawyer in Morocco who then appealed to the judge and the decision was overturned.

So ultimately regardless of the outcome it can be overturn just means it will cost more to hire a lawyer should they decline in the first place.

Wish you all the best and don't worry all will work out the way you want.

Thank you for your reply, i am glad its not a straight no and there is appeal process if they do say no, I am heading to Morocco next week for 9 weeks, i just need her to say yes to marrying me 🙂

MrZandos wrote:

Thank you for your reply, i am glad its not a straight no and there is appeal process if they do say no, I am heading to Morocco next week for 9 weeks, i just need her to say yes to marrying me 🙂

Your welcome. And Good luck. I'm sure she will say Yes to marrying you.

Just make sure you have a nice proposal planned so she can't say no 😉

Good Luck and keep us posted

Thank you, i will have to think of something original 😊

MrZandos wrote:

Thank you, i will have to think of something original 😊

Your welcome and good luck. 😊 feel free to Dm
Or message if you need any more guidance or assistance.

Thank you, i am there for 9 weeks from next week so would probably ask her before i return home as i do not want to ask her immediately in case i scare her off 😂

MrZandos wrote:

Thank you, i am there for 9 weeks from next week so would probably ask her before i return home as i do not want to ask her immediately in case i scare her off 😂

Hhh I understand might want to ask sooner that leaving if your planning on getting married works there and if your documents are ready lol.

I'm presuming she knows your intentions to marry her at some point and she probably wants the same

Hhhh, she knows how i feel and have hinted at rings, yeah maybe when i feel the time is right, i guess if you make plans in your head then they never get done so will just be spontaneous 😊

Honestly, just so you don't have to deal with the bureaucracy and time, it would be better for you to marry in the UK, which doesn't have a system of marriage law based on religion, so convictions of an individual doesn't affect your choice to marry someone. In Shariah law-based countries, this obviously exists to protect individuals from marrying someone that may not have actually changed (because the last thing a married woman needs is to be alone if her husband is imprisoned), but I do think it shouldn't be a consideration if the two adults are making their own decisions.

MrZandos wrote:

If you have a good relationship and you have spoken about marriage before or both of your intentions in conversations have been to be wed eventually, then I don't see why she would say no. Though, remember, according to Shariah, for marriage, getting an answer from her is not enough, You have to get her father's permission, because until the marriage contract, she is the "property" of her father. And after nikah, that changes from her father to you. This process would be simply if she has spoken to her father about you and her intentions for marriage to you.

*I didn't want to use the word 'property,' but it is the best way to define the rights and responsibilities, though a little different for a parent versus a spouse.

Her dad is no longer around so i guess her brother would be the nearest male relative, i have thought about nikah as a religious wedding and then do the legal wedding in the uk as my mum is too frail to travel so this could be of benefit to both our families

Order of Wali are Father > Grandfather (from paternal side) > Brother (doesn't matter if older or younger, but must be adult age). If brothers are not of adult age, Uncle from Father's side > Sons of Uncle (her cousin) of adult age. If all of those individuals are not available or not near her, such as in another country, you can always rely on the local Imam of adult age. Closeness between a niece and uncle or brother and sister may not be the same as father and daughter, so she should just inform said person of her intentions. It is not required for her to share personal details about the man, but from a general safety reasons, most paternal adults would want to know if such a person is capable taking care of the woman (not just financially, but physically and mentally) and understands the rights and responsibilities.

Nikkah means marriage contract/signing, There is no 'wedding' in Islam. That is a concept created by western culture, including the ring exchange at the weddings. But you can always give a ring to her during the proposal (how you choose to give that is up to you, your personal beliefs and her desires).

Also, some Moroccan woman prefer wearing after wedding and some don't, but that doesn't mean you have to. So you should discuss if she wants you to or doesn't matter. I'm saying this because I went through weeks trying to find something my fiancee would like (prior to me asking what she really wants), so I'm just trying to help you save money and the headache. Woman are very picky regarding this. Side note, most young Moroccan woman prefer to wear a wedding right because it is a sign that keeps creeps or stalkers away from them (or most of the time).

Again, some Moroccan woman are materialistic and others are not, so if your potential spouse is not, whatever picture she shows you, find that exact or replica ring through the right channels. Your 'ring' budget and wallet would be very happy. As a piece of advice, you can find replicas of almost all 'premium' jewellery; paying high costs on expensive jewellery is worthless because they depreciate really fast and will be worthless in less time that your car. And you can save a lot of money towards marriage overseas which is a lot more than you think (Airbnb/hotel costs, time you stay overseas, translation fees, notary fees, embassy fees, travel costs and transportation to Rabat).

However, what you can do is a nikkah and a small party (of course it cannot be mixed, though most modern families in Morocco have mixed). And usually, the party is strictly females only (little kids are accepted) and men could have their own in another section or day. Don't confuse this party with the Walimah. Walimah is mandatory after the Nikkah arranged by the man's/groom's family and is simply a feast. Generally, it is a partitioned, and families of both appear and three-course dinner, but not uncommon to see mixed Walimah's either.

In the Western world, Islamic marriages are now incorporating the Walimah on the same day as the Nikkah, maybe even right after. Renting banquet halls and catering costs are always rising while the men or their families are having to almost always pay for it. And if there is no discussion about budget or splitting the bill, many men tend to go in debt trying to fulfil the desires of their spouse. And don't forget, this excludes the Mahr which you agree to give to your spouse prior to the Nikkah.

P.S. Islamic Marriage in the UK is not as simple as a traditional marriage, so make sure you read this document. It's legal if done through an approved process: https://commonslibrary.parliament.uk/re … /cbp-8747/ Though remember, your partner must have a witness (preferably her wali) during the Nikkah. And if you cannot bring her whole family, you can always have a party in Morocco.

Thank you for your message, there is a lot there to consider, does it take a long time for her to get a visa to the uk to marry?

MrZandos wrote:

Thank you for your message, there is a lot there to consider, does it take a long time for her to get a visa to the uk to marry?

Getting a visa for the U.K. is also not a fast and simple process there are a lot to consider and a lot of documents required to show the decision makers.

They factors a lot of things such as will she return to Morocco if your applying for a tourist visit and your case it would be as your not married and Therefore cannot apply for a family visa.

Does she work? Evidence  of this and wages for past few months are required. Current bank statements.
Any assets under her name if so show this.
Has she traveled overseas this evidence will be required. Has she been declined visa in the past if so why and also dates.

Does she study if she doesn't work. Evidence of this.
Hôtel bookings
Insurance documents
Supporting document to show she can support her self for the trip
Flight evidence
The list goes on full list can be obtained from the British embassy website.

I no people who have had their visa declined 3-4 times even after showing all the evidence so from experience it's not a easy and simple process

It's better to get the marriage done legally in Morocco.

Even if you get your fiancé to U.K. to get married the process is very similar to morocco as you have to do it via the registry and the paperwork she will have to give is similar to the process in Morocco and the waiting time is longer and the cost are much higher.

More details can be found on the gov website about overseas citizen marring inside the U.K.

Should you get married under the legal system in Morocco your wife would then have to legally register it in Morocco within 3 months otherwise it's not accepted

More info again can be found in the Moroccan embassy website for overseas marriages for Moroccan citizen.

Thank you for your reply, i guess nothing good in life is going to be easy, am glad shes worth it 🙂

MrZandos wrote:

Thank you for your reply, i guess nothing good in life is going to be easy, am glad shes worth it 🙂

Well said.

Good luck once again 😊

Thank you 🙂

Your criminal record is older than 10 years...surely it should have been gone off your record...also you can get married in Gibraltar...it is British and recognized here in Morocco....I had an experience with that ...call me if you wish ....Osama ***..... I  am British.

Moderated by Diksha 3 years ago
Reason : Please do not post your contact details on the forum for security reasons.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Hi Abo, no your record remains for life, my convkction is spent under uk law and only have to declare it if applying for jobs that require me to do so, this will show up under checks for marriage in Morocco, would the bride still need a visa to enter Gibraltar to get married?

When you book your appointment in Gibraltar registery office you come to morocco and travel with her to Gibraltar.... no visa required.

A confirmed marriage date and a confirmed hotel booking is a must to guarantee entery to Gibraltar.

Thanks for letting me know, this is something i will look into, thanks 🙂

You're welcome ....you got my number call me on whatsap if you need to....good luck.

Yes i will at some point call, thanks 🙂👍

I got married with criminal record no issues what so ever.

Ca  o aak whay it waa for?

Fraud suspended sentence.

Same but 20 months in prison, served 5 months and 5 months home curfew

I had long list of things in my record things happen the Moroccan law is a bit funny you don't know until you try so don't worry always be positive.

Yes i will be, thanks 🙂

Hi. Sorry to hear this.

To be honest with you, you would still have to go though the entire process in morocco and submit all your documents. When you get to the interview stage with the police you would have to try and convince them that your a change person as there recommendation is what the judges also consider.

However you can also write a letter as part of your file directly to the honorable judge explains your situation and requesting him to grant permission.

But the biggest advise would be hire a reputable lawyer in Morocco also will cost a lot more but he would be able to assist you and there are many cases like yours where the lawyer has helped “convince” the judge in accepting the mixed marriage.

Hope this helps.

When you book your appointment in Gibraltar registery office you come to morocco and travel with her to Gibraltar.... no visa required.

- @Abo Mehdi
I want to marry a girl from Morocco.
But I do not want to change my religion - I am an Orthodox Christian.
Is a marriage in Gibraltar recognized in Morocco?
I can claim a date for marriage in Gibraltar, but I do not know what documents my girl will need to visit Gibraltar.
I will be grateful for your advice

- @Abo Mehdi
I want to marry a girl from Morocco.
But I do not want to change my religion - I am an Orthodox Christian.
Is a marriage in Gibraltar recognized in Morocco?
I can claim a date for marriage in Gibraltar, but I do not know what documents my girl will need to visit Gibraltar.
I will be grateful for your advice
- @apostolrr

Hello,
Religion is an important condition to marry a Muslim girl.
U can marry anywhere but if u are not Muslim and don't marry  in Islamic way ur marriage will not be recognised in Morocco.

Hi I'm set to get engaged in Morocco next month. However, I did 5 years in prison in the us, from when i was 21 to 26. I have a friend who did similar time and got married in Morocco. Will I have an issue?

thanks

@MrZandos what happened?

I have drug convictions anyone know if I will be denied?

@Abo Mehdihello i am trying to do the same thing . i wish to marry my moroccan lady in gibraltar.. please whats the best way. i tead about the short stay visa (sticker visa)?

@Abo Mehdi hello bro i need help with the same thing.. what is the best way to get my moroccan girlfriend to gibraltar. She works a good job and has proof of pay for 15-+yrs but she been denied shengan visa from spain and also the british embassy in rabbat denied.. what are we doing wrong

@kingbracket what type of visa are you applying?

@kingbracket you have to apply for tourist visa, thats the only short visa but considering her passport the chances of approval are low. you should get married or apply for fiance visa.