Registering a Marriage abroad in Morocco

Hello!

I am an American citizen and my wife is a Moroccan citizen. We do not currently live in Morocco. We were recently married in the USA in January of this year. It was a civil marriage (non-religious). We are headed to Morocco to visit family for the month of August and while we are there we would like to register our marriage in Morocco. I am non-Muslim and understand I will need to do a conversion in order to properly have the marriage registered in Morocco. I have searched far and wide on the internet with any information about registering my marriage but came up short.

Is there any way for us to register the current marriage or do we need to start from scratch in Morocco on the marriage process?

I have already gathered my documents needed before we arrive (Birth certificate, FBI check, etc) and will be ready to go with the marriage process but want to know if I am able to register the current marriage as well.

Thank you for the help!
Hello zerofuri,

Welcome to Expat.com 1f603.svg

Thank you for sharing your projects with us.

I really hope that someone who has gone through the same process as you will be able to shed some light on this by sharing their personal experiences.

In the meantime, there is a chance that you will find your answer if you browse the Morroco forum.

Please keep us posted. 1f609.svg

Best of luck,

Cheryl
Expat.com team
Hello,

I hope this information will help you.

The marriage contract can be concluded in accordance with the local administrative procedures in the country of residence, provided that the conditions of offer, acceptance, ability, absence of legal impediments, proof of dowry, and the presence of two male Muslim witnesses and a legal representative for minors are fulfilled.
According to Article 14 of the Family Code, a civil marriage contract must be registered with the Moroccan authorities (consular services).

The required documents
Consular registration for the Moroccan party, if it resides in the consular district;
A full copy or a brief copy of the birth certificate for both spouses;
A full copy of the marriage contract + its translation into Arabic, certified by the local authorities, if the contract was written in a language other than Arabic or French;
A copy of the electronic national identity card and passport of both spouses;
A certificate of conversion to Islam for a non-Muslim husband.
procedures
The spouses must deposit a copy of their civil marriage contract with the Moroccan consular services to which the place of residence of the certificate of marriage or the place of residence of the spouses belongs. In the absence of these interests, a copy of the marriage contract is sent to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation (Directorate of Consular and Social Affairs), which transmits it to the civil status officer and to the Family Justice Department at the place of birth of the spouses.
If the spouses were not born in Morocco, or neither of them was born in Morocco, the Ministry shall refer this copy to the Family Justice Department in Rabat, and to the King's representative at the Court of First Instance in Rabat.
If the civil marriage contract does not refer to two Muslim witnesses, an 'attestation of attachment' must be added in which two notaries are held at the consular services, and it is attached to the marriage contract before it is referred to the Moroccan authorities.

Have a good day
@zerofuri

Hi Congratulation firstly.

There might be a simple way to do this. If you legally married in USA and have the certificate your partner can submit all documents to the moroccan embassy in USA to register the marriage. They must do this within 6 months. This bypasses many ling rules that you must follow if you have to do the marriage again in Morocco. First contact the embassy and see what they say.

Should you want to do the marriage again Morocco we sell a guid Book on How to Get Married in Morocco which can help answer all questions and guidance step by step. feel free to private message

Regards

Arif Esa
@zerofuri to Further elaborate on the first option:

The marriage can be concluded according to the local administrative procedures of the country of residence, provided that the conditions of the offer and the acceptance of the capacity are met; that there are not legal impediments, the non-suppression of the Sadaq, the presence of two ale Muslim witnesses and the legal representative for minors.
In accordance with Article 14 of the Family Code, the civil marriage certificate must be registered with the Moroccan authorities (consular services).

Document required

• Consular registration of the Moroccan party if he /she resides in the consular district;
  • Full copy or copy of the birth certificate for both spouses;
  • Full copy of the marriage certificate + translation into Arabic, legalised by the local authorities;
  • Copy of CNIE and passports for both spouses;
  • Certificate of conversion to Islam for the non-Muslim spouse.
Procedure
Spouses must submit a copy of the civil marriage certificate to the Moroccan consular  services in the place of establishment of the marriage certificate or the place of residence of  the spouses. In the absence of consular services, a copy of the marriage certificate is sent to  the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation (Directorate of Consular and  Social Affairs). The Ministry then sends the copy to the civil registrar and the family justice  section to the place of birth of each spouse. If the spouses or one of them are not born in  Morocco, the copy is sent to the family justice section of Rabat and to the Prosecutor at the  court of first instance in Rabat.

In case the civil marriage certificate does not mention the two Muslim witnesses, an additive act, called "Ishhad Moulhaq" (Annexation Witness), must be established by the Adouls at the consular services and annexed to the said marriage certificate before being sent to the Moroccan authorities.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Arif Esa

Hello!

Thank you for the quick reply.

Few questions.

1) We are no longer in the United States (we live in another country). Can all of this be done in Morocco?
2) We did not have two Muslim witnesses. Can you explain the process of this further for the "Attestation of attachment" please?

Appreciate all the help!

@zerofuri

You Can register it in the country of your permanent residence.

Two muslim witness since not done. an additive act, called "Ishhad Moulhaq" (Annexation Witness), must be established by the Adouls at the consular services and annexed to the said marriage certificate before being sent to the Moroccan authorities.

If you want to register you marriage in Morocco you will have to do the entire process again. By legally getting married again in Morocco.

You could try to take it to the local registry and see what they might say if they are willing to accept all existing civil marriage documents but must be translated to Arabic.

Regards

Arif

Hello,

You can download the "Moudawana" PDF version in English it is very useful for your case.

Cordially.

@Vakil

What if the marriage certificate list two witnesses who are Muslim(Moroccan) would they have to sign or their names just be present? And would there have to be a signifier that they were Muslim?

Thanks

@Jessbk very good questions.

from my understanding the certificate /contract is signed by the bride and groom and the adool.

the witnesses is for Party that is Moroccan as part of there documentation prior to getting marriage approval. As for the foreigner who getting married no whiteness's is required hence the embassy documents and police interview.

hope this helps some how

regards

Arif Esa

Does anyone know if there is already a civil marriage certificate will I still need to get a police background check to do a nikkah ceremony?

Even if you have a civil marriage you will have to get it registered in order to be considered married in Morocco

@zerofuri

If you are thinking of converting, then you go to the local mosque, convert, have two witnesses, get married according to Islamic Law and finally get the marriage certificate.

Civil and Islamic marriage will have to be translated into French or Arabic and then notarised, along with the conversion certificate.

All this can be done in the country where you're living.   I think your wife's Moroccan ID has to be present/shown as well.

You can have a legal marriage without all the moroccan crap and police checks.

@aishahm how is this done ? Do you mean a shari nikah with an imam and the f

@A N2021

Performing an Islamic marriage outside the legal process of obtaining a marriage certificate through the court in Morocco does not constitute a legally recognized marriage in most countries, including Morocco.

In the context of Islam, such a marriage would be considered permissible between you, your spouse, and God. However, it would not carry legal recognition in Morocco.

For instance, if you intend to stay in a hotel in Morocco with your wife, the certificate issued by the imam or mosque would not be accepted by most establishments. Similarly, if you need to undertake any official procedures in Morocco, it would not be recognized.

Many countries, such as Australia and the UK, among others, do not accept mosque or imam marriage certificates for immigration purposes, as they do not hold legal validity.

If you prefer to get married in your own country rather then going through the Moroccan process, for example, you are from the UK and wish to marry your partner in the Islamic way, you can bring your partner to your country, you can still proceed with the ceremony conducted by the imam or mosque. However, to ensure legal recognition, you would also need to have a civil marriage in the UK. You can then register this marriage through the Moroccan Embassy in the UK.