Residency through property purchase

Hello everyone…

Hope you are all well.

Can someone please help me clarify something?

I know that Mauritius offers residency opportunities to non-citizens through the acquisition of residential properties, worth USD 375,000 in real estate developments under approved schemes.

A friend said that he believed that you could also obtain residency if you buy two Ground plus 1 apartments with a combined worth of USD 375,000 or more. Is that accurate?

Grateful for your input.

Best wishes, John

@John0356, I think that non-citizens cannot purchase properties that are not in the RES development scheme as this will present an unfair competition with the locals.  I know that the prices for properties in the scheme are several times more expensive than the market targeted to the locals.

Have you looked at the Mauritius Guide that is available on this site?  On page 38, there is general information about the said residency visa and its requirements.  More importantly, the guide contains information about the web site and / or contact information where you can get an official answer.  For instance, I see a new VEFA category - that I had not seen before and cannot comment on.

Although a post on this forum is interesting and you will get opinions, the definite answer should come from official sources.

Good luck in your search.

Hello

From a real estate agency on the island:

Another thing to remember is that if you buy two properties, each under $375,000, you will not be able to combine these two properties and obtain permanent residence. Permanent residence is attached to ONE particular property which must be above $375,000 to obtain Permanent Residence through this acquisition.

https://parklane.mu/buyinmauritius.html

HelloFrom a real estate agency on the island:Another thing to remember is that if you buy two properties, each under $375,000, you will not be able to combine these two properties and obtain permanent residence. Permanent residence is attached to ONE particular property which must be above $375,000 to obtain Permanent Residence through this acquisition.https://parklane.mu/buyinmauritius.html-@External

I can confirm this - it has to be ONE property (eg one unit in an apartment block).

@Pablo888 it does not have to be a RES development, it can fall under any ond of the following schemes for expat property:

IRS

IHS

RES

PDS

G+2

SCS

@Ceresiet, I stand corrected on the specifics of the real estate scheme.  I never had to investigate those.

Thank you for the clarifications.

@Pablo888, External and Ceresiet

Thanks a lot for your replies.  It's very clear to me now that I will need to buy 1 unit worth USD 375 000 under one of the schemes listed in Ceresiet's post.

Hope you all have a great weekend.

Cheers, John 🥳

@External

The information is outdated, unfortunately erroneous. It's best to go to the source. i.e. www.edbmauritius.org as opposed to estate agents that don't remove old content from their website.

@Ceresiet

You are right. Residency is not just restricted to property acquisition 🏠. Buying property to gain residency does not provide value for money 💸. There are much better ways to proceed which also offer a good return on investment 💰.