Working in Italy for a UK company, whilst on a 'Mission' visa

Hello everyone,

I'm brand new here, but have a question that I can't seem to find an answer for (so far...).

I'm married to a UK Service-person, who will be moving to Italy to begin a role in Italy later this year. I'm going to be receiving an accompanying 'mission' visa, as their spouse, but I have a full-time remote job in the UK. I'm aware of the 'Digital Nomad' visa being written into Italian law in 2022, but there's been no real update to that since - and there's a lot of speculation online and companies offering advice, which doesn't fully add up. I would like to keep my current job, but I would be willing to begin working for another company, if necessary. I currently don't qualify for a self-employed visa and my Italian speaking is currently basic; but it's a work in progress.

My question is:

As I will be allowed to reside in Italy for the duration of my spouse's job (3 years), will I be required to apply for another, separate visa, to work in Italy for a UK company? especially, when thinking about income tax.

Thank you in advance

I think you will be able to live in Italy as a dependant of your husband, to answer the visa question I would ask the consulate at the Italian embassy in the UK.

You will both need to get residency cards and health cards the health card number is used on everything its the equivalent of your national insurance number.

Please note as you will be living here for  more than 186 days  you will be considered an Italian tax payer and tax is due on worldwide incomes, there is a double taxation  agreement with the uk, so you will be required to pay any difference here. Id advise an accountant do the forms, although this is an added expense it will save you grief if you muck up a return:)

@M Hunt, thank you, that's the best advice I've heard so far!

There's the Armed Forces Covenant, which applies to companies in the UK to prevent the nature of the 'lifestyle' from impacting service-personnel and their families, but it's a grey area on whether it would apply to a family moving abroad for work related reasons.

I'll get in touch with the Consulate and see what insight they can give.

Thanks again

Hello everyone,
I'm brand new here, but have a question that I can't seem to find an answer for (so far...).

I'm married to a UK Service-person, who will be moving to Italy to begin a role in Italy later this year. I'm going to be receiving an accompanying 'mission' visa, as their spouse, but I have a full-time remote job in the UK. I'm aware of the 'Digital Nomad' visa being written into Italian law in 2022, but there's been no real update to that since - and there's a lot of speculation online and companies offering advice, which doesn't fully add up. I would like to keep my current job, but I would be willing to begin working for another company, if necessary. I currently don't qualify for a self-employed visa and my Italian speaking is currently basic; but it's a work in progress.

My question is:

As I will be allowed to reside in Italy for the duration of my spouse's job (3 years), will I be required to apply for another, separate visa, to work in Italy for a UK company? especially, when thinking about income tax.

Thank you in advance
-@wearierstupor0o

Hi and welcome to the Forum.

There are different rules affecting British Military serving abroad and they differ from country to country.  My advice would be to contact the Military Attache at the UK Embassy in Rome, he will know the answer to your questions, or who to ask in the country; contact details can be found on the UK Gov website; this link will take you straight to it.

I hope this helps.

Cynic

Expat Team

Hi @Cynic, thank you - I'll have a look for the military attaché; all these years and I never thought to get in touch with them! They would be brilliantly placed to answer this, thank you

@wearierstupor0o Hi @wearierstupor0o - I'm in a similar position myself just with my partner working for the UN instead of being military personnel. What was the outcome in the end? I also work fully remotely, self employed and for predominantly UK clients. When getting your visa, did you have to state  means of support?

Any and all info would be greatly received!

Thanks in advance.

@wearierstupor0o Hi @wearierstupor0o - I'm in a similar position myself just with my partner working for the UN instead of being military personnel. What was the outcome in the end? I also work fully remotely, self employed and for predominantly UK clients. When getting your visa, did you have to state  means of support?
Any and all info would be greatly received!

Thanks in advance.

-@C Rynd

Hi and welcome to the Forum.

I just tried looking at the UN website for some clues but it appears to be down for some reason.

Ask your partner to speak to his line manager within the UN; you can't be the only person in these circumstances and I imagine there must be some arrangement to ensure that the UN officer's family are catered for in these circumstances.

I hope this helps.

Cynic

Expat Team

@wearierstupor0o

Hello there. I am not sure about the visa situation but would like to ask you a question if I may. I am looking for online work. I live in Australia but am fluent in italian and woul love to find something so that when i can I can move there and being linked to Italy in some way. Do you have any recommendations on how I can find suck work?

I wish you every success.