Clarification of Retiree Rules Please

Here is the bare rule: "If you have lived in Mauritius under the status of Retired Non-Citizen for three years, you are qualified to apply for the Permanent Residence Permit which will be valid for ten years. This also applies to your dependents."

Question: What happens after 3 years if you die? Will the 10 year permit for your dependents be revoked. "?

@peterg123  Hi no need to answer, I have found out the answer for myself. Thanks folks.

Hello peterg123,

It would be nice to share such information with us too if you don't mind, please.1f609.svg

Cheers,

Cheryl

Expat.com team

OK so the basic answer is if the holder dies during the 10 years of the retiree permit and the defendant or one of them is over 50 years, they can apply for their own retiree permit under the same conditions.

If they are under 50 years then they can either apply for Permeant Residence Permit (PRP) under property PDS investment or else they can apply for either a professional permit ( if they have the qualifications) or they can look for a job and get a work permit. Or marry a Mauritian citizen.

Otherwise they will have to leave after some grace period of months.

I was going to post exactly this question today!!

I read that the retirement visa was given initially for 10 years, extendable to 20 after 3 years if all requirements were met. The most important was the financial aspect of having the equivalent of $1500 per month to be transferred into the country. I do not know if that is only for the first 3 years, or for ever.

If I get the visa, and come with my wife - and then happen to pass away, and she wishes to continue living in Mauritius -- she will have to apply again for a reitrement visa; but the rules then might have changed. She might have to show a higher incoming remittance ! The current requirement of $1500 per month minimum seems OK for a decent life for a retired couple. If one of us passes away, I would hope the authorities keep in mind the fact that they had given a 10-20 years permit in the first place.

As mentioned above, residence permit for each individual after 5 years may be the answer.

What do you think?

@Tookays probably a silly questions, but are you allowed to use that € 1500,- monthly or does that need to stay in a Mauritian bank untouched?

@oshudofsky That is for use. You can always bring in more to spend -- as long as you are spending into the economy it will be good. My thoughts are -- a retired couple as expats will need to spend around that much for living expenses and have a decent life. Rental for an apartment will depend on where you want to live, facilities and food/transport will be the other main expenses. If you try to live like a local, $800 should be enough at this time I think. Add in an extra $300 if you want to shop in the supermarkets and eat out often. This is just my rough idea, but I am sure those who are already there will give you a better idea. Do not forget health insurance. Renting a car is expensive, buying a car may be better in the long run if you will definitely stay for several years.

@Tookays Thank you again for your great help and answer. Okay, then I would be okay with my not too big a pension. For now I want to "rely" on public transportation as I am not such a good driver when it comes to drive on the left side of the road  1f605.svg. I guess occasionally shopping at a supermarket will be necessary and like you say, a kind of medical insurance. Haha I guess I will spend some money on my main hobby of scuba diving  1f60a.svg

@Tookays  useful advice. Now renting a car is expensive in MU but, are there those who do leasing for a whole year for example? That usually works out m,uch cheaper than renting.

@oshudofsky there is a website -- numbeo.com which can give you an idea of costs. I cannot vouch for its accuracy.

@peterg123 I would hope there are long term rentals, but I do not know. I am sure some of the others in this forum can give better advice. I have seen the other threads about cars but cannot see anything suitable.

@Tookays It is accurate if you wish to live an expat lifestyle...but I should when it compared Kenya to Mauritius, it said Mauritius was more expensive for living costs. I did extensive and exhaustive research in Mauritius to check this and cost of basic living in MU is about 23% cheaper than Nairobi, Kenya..and that is using supermarkets. So I would say its a  bit  on the high side but roughly accurate.