Benefits of L card

Hi all,

I have applied for L card 3 months ago, waiting for application to be finished. Meanwhile I have couple of questions:

1) With L card, do I have free access to job market, currently as high skilled worker (B card), I require sponsorship.

2) Following up, do I get social security benefits with L card, I had a discussion with a lawyer, although I am contributing to social security system last 5 years, with B card, he told me that if I become involuntarily unemployed, or another words fired, I won't get a compensation at all, neither unemployment benefit. I am not sure this is entirely true, but he was so sure and I am really suprised, why do they cut money from our salary then? Anyway will this change with L card, or will I still be insecure in that regard?

I think you are talking about A card which requires work permit.

With B now L  and D cards we so not need sponsorship

Hi all,
I have applied for L card 3 months ago, waiting for application to be finished. Meanwhile I have couple of questions:

1) With L card, do I have free access to job market, currently as high skilled worker (B card), I require sponsorship.
2) Following up, do I get social security benefits with L card, I had a discussion with a lawyer, although I am contributing to social security system last 5 years, with B card, he told me that if I become involuntarily unemployed, or another words fired, I won't get a compensation at all, neither unemployment benefit. I am not sure this is entirely true, but he was so sure and I am really suprised, why do they cut money from our salary then? Anyway will this change with L card, or will I still be insecure in that regard?
-@oozkan

You do have full access to the work market (i.e you do not require any sponsorship or extra work permit) for sure. Also, you don't depend on your work to keep the residence (I guess this is obvious though)

I have no idea about the compensation in case of unemployment, will follow the thread as I'm also interested to know

I think you are talking about A card which requires work permit.
With B now L and D cards we so not need sponsorship
-@eshwarraj09

May be, it was blue B work permit then they combined with residence card few years later.

Any idea which card type is issued to the family members of L card holders?

I applied 5 months ago, what now? do I wait for a letter by post? or I go and ask?

@Waleedov you can go to your commune with annex 16. If they have no response on your file from ministry then they are obliged to give you card L after 5 months of waiting.

@patiltush dependent family members will be issued card A. However if family member have fulfilled the requirements for applying other PR then they can apply it.

@Rudra1985 Thanks. They also complete 5 years along with me. But my wife only working during last 2 years out of them.

@Rudra1985 Kids under 18. Shouldn't they get the same L card as the parent? I didn't know there are requirements for kids.

@Waleedov you can go to your commune with annex 16. If they have no response on your file from ministry then they are obliged to give you card L after 5 months of waiting.
-@Rudra1985

I have no Annex 16, nothing.

Since the date of L card application, December 20th, I got no messages or anything.

Should I make an appointment and just go and ask? They don't answer phone calls!

@patiltush best to check with with commune.

@Waleedov you should have received this document while applying for card L.

-@Rudra1985

I have no Annex 16, nothing.
Since the date of L card application, December 20th, I got no messages or anything.
Should I make an appointment and just go and ask? They don't answer phone calls!
-@Waleedov

You should have that kind of document (obligatory) as a proof that your application has been received and submitted and importantly, there is a max date in which you should get any response.

@Waleedov You should have an Annex 16 which is a confirmation that your document is submitted to Brussels.

I had a similar case and had to wait for an answer and after repeated follow-up to check if my document was completed, it was submitted to Brussels after 2 months. so lets say it took me 7 months to get an L card ;(.

So in case you dont have a Bijlage 16, its possible its still at the city hall and not submitted to Brussels. I hope that is not the case for you. Take an appointment and go to the cityhall to check.

@Waleedov You should have an Annex 16 which is a confirmation that your document is submitted to Brussels.
I had a similar case and had to wait for an answer and after repeated follow-up to check if my document was completed, it was submitted to Brussels after 2 months. so lets say it took me 7 months to get an L card ;(.
So in case you dont have a Bijlage 16, its possible its still at the city hall and not submitted to Brussels. I hope that is not the case for you. Take an appointment and go to the cityhall to check.
-@BMM996210

Is Annex 16 something I get right after I apply? or later by post?

I remember when I was applying I asked what is next, and they said "Wait 5 months, alles in order"!

I applied with an A card and now waiting for an update...

It is not the first time the city hall messed up, I really hope they submitted my application :(

@Waleedov Yes, Annex 16 is the proof that the city hall has submitted your application. For me the process was via email but I know in another commune you get a printed copy of it.

Best is to take an appointment and check in person at the cityhall on the status.

Best is to ask the commune what is your status. They definitely could give an answer!