Do 5 years of study in Belgium count for Citizenship Declaration !

Hey Guys ! How are you  :),  Just a question please. As an Egyptian citizen, could you tell me if I came
to Belgium to study for five years on a long term student visa "type D" (obtaining a
bachelor's degree and then a master's degree), would these five years be
regarded as a legal uninterrupted residency ? and if so can I apply for a
permanent resident card (type B) after these five years ? for the process of obtaining Belgium citizenship, regardless if i work or not as i heard somewhere that your credits transform into working
hours or something like that but for my case i found nothing. so just an advice would be so much
appreciated, thank you.

No, you are holding a temporary residence and that doesn't count.
You need a job and work permit and pay taxes.
Working visa is good enough.

@Maria_sid

Hi

How did it go with you since u posted this inquiry?

My daughter is in the same situation now in Brussels.  Appreciate your

advise after those years ?

Hello mohhmm1963,

Welcome to Expat.com 1f601.svg

As you may have noticed, it appears that this thread has been inactive since 2019.

I recommend initiating a new thread on the Belgium forum where you can provide more details about your daughter's situation and specify the information you are seeking.

Cheers,

Cheryl

Expat.com team

@Maria_sid
Hi
How did it go with you since u posted this inquiry?
My daughter is in the same situation now in Brussels. Appreciate your
advise after those years ?
-@mohhmm1963

the author may not go back to this forum anymore.

but per the law, she cannot get B card as if she is a student. B card is only possible for one who have worked continously for 5 years. Therefore, its impossible for a student to apply!

2nd, she need to get at least a permanent residence first to start with (NOT A/H cards). Since I don't know your situation, I cannt advise.

Assuming you found a job after, your time as a student will count as half so 2.5 years, plus 2.5 year of full time work and then you can apply for L card (previous D card).

this makes you a permanent resident. After which you can apply for citizenship. You need to full fill language and integration requirements.

@Peterjohn123 Hello, I will also  greatly appreciate your advice :) if I have a child, who within 5 years finished secondary school, entered 1st year of university and turned 18 (card A). What permanent card is he eligible and is this child still considered a dependent? I will be applying for L card based on work and a little confused about the child situation...

@Peterjohn123 Hello, I will also greatly appreciate your advice smile.png if I have a child, who within 5 years finished secondary school, entered 1st year of university and turned 18 (card A). What permanent card is he eligible and is this child still considered a dependent? I will be applying for L card based on work and a little confused about the child situation...
-@gannam

Permanent residence is not applied to your child (not as citizenship) or in other mean, permanent residence is not inherited so he will still have the card that he has.

The difference is that his expiry date on his card is probably your expiry date of the L card or at least, the maximum that an A card can be valid. Indeed, he can always extend as you already have L card so extension is no matter of time.

Your family members are considered dependent under your charges if they have no professional (taxable) income.

@Maria_sid

You need to live in Belgium as a student for 10 years before you can apply for a permanent residence.  Your 10 years will be considered 5years.

@Maria_sid
You need to live in Belgium as a student for 10 years before you can apply for a permanent residence. Your 10 years will be considered 5years.
-@Ice Lyle

Not true, although 10 years of student stay counted as 5 full years for Long term residency but you forgot a fact that a student can never ask for Long term residency. If they have stayed for 10 years, they need to at least change to Employee/Self-Employed status and works.

Also, to prove that you have sufficient means, you must work for at least 1 year.

In short, if one plans to study for 10 years, they must then go to work and pay tax for at least another year (12 months of payslips) to get that L card. So, 11 years :)

@peterjohn1104 Thank you very much for your answer! I thought dependents (spouses and children) who came on family reunification have a right to apply for permanent residence after legally staying here for 5 years. Was I mistaken?