Menu
Expat.com
Search
Magazine
Search

L card eligibility

Hello,


I came to Belgium in Sep 2021 and have been working as a secondment worker(NOT on a local contract) till Feb 2026, after which I switched to a local contract. I already completed 5 years this September and I am planning to apply for a L card.


I see some posts in the group where some applications were rejected because they were NOT on local contract for the whole 5 years. But, I also see that if a decision is not made within 5 months, it's auto approved.


1) Does it really matter on the commune from which you are applying? Or the commune just collects and forwards the application to IBZ?

2) Has anyone recently applied for a L card from Evere commune? If yes, how long did it take for you to get a decision.

3) Any tips on when is the busiest time of the year to try my luck so that it gets auto approved?

4) Do I get to apply again if it gets rejected?


TIA

See also

Similar case as yours. In WSL, I was told that I need to wait for 5 more years from the date of local contract, before I can apply.

@Bored123

The commune didn't stop me from applying but told me that there are high chances of rejection.

1 member reacted to this post

@Pseudo10

Your application will be rejected by the ministry in Brussels. I have seen many rejections like this.


The rule changed sometime in 2021. Before that it used to get approved but now it will be 100% rejected. ITS CLEARLY written, work done on secondment does NOT COUNT.

@Bored123 The commune didn't stop me from applying but told me that there are high chances of rejection. - @Pseudo10

The law clearly says that period under seconded employment is NOT covered.

Sommige vreemdelingen zijn uitgesloten van de status langdurig ingezetene. Je komt niet in aanmerking als je in België verblijft op basis van één van de volgende verblijfsstatuten


een verblijf 'uitsluitend om redenen van tijdelijke aard'. De memorie van toelichting bij deze wetsbepaling vermeldt als voorbeelden hiervan: au pairs, seizoenarbeiders, gedetacheerden

You can read this by searching for L kaart (formerly D kaart ). I think even if your city hall forwards the file to immigration, the application will be rejected. But ofc you can always ask your city hall

@pranav2424

Even 1.5 years of secondment period doesn't count?

@Chicks24

Before 2021 i know people who had some local time and some secondment time, they got approved. But after 2021… I haven't heard a single case of approval. It says 5 years on local job. Student time counts as half. One of my colleagues got but he had 2 years student time so that counted as 1 year.

@pranav2424

A few people who were working with me got it recently. They didn't even switch to local contracts. They crossed the 5 years mark and they started paying social security . After about 2 years of paying social security, they applied and they got it. I think it's based on luck as well because it might be possible that it was auto approved and the file wasn't picked up.

@Pseudo10

Dont go on what many indians say..half of infy tcs people have no idea about anything.


Its very very clearly mentioned, secondment doesn't count. I can show u the rule also. Its almost rejected case.

How did they start paying social security if their company doesn't pay?? Without switching jobs.. suddenly how cannone start with social security??

I have a different situation, I came as a dependent of seconded employee and was working on local contract, my first 15 months work was as a dependent after which I got my own single permit. I am about to finish my five yeah in few months time, I was continuously employed paying taxes and social security.  While few people I know say I will have to wait till I finish 5 years on my own visa, AI tools say I will be eligible once I finish 5 years continues legal stay with employment, working on local contract.


Did any one went through same situation? or any information would be greatly appriciated.


I want to switch jobs because I stopped enjoying my work but in current market companies are not ready to sponsor visa.

@Grunt6891

In this case, I think you are eligible. Here dependent people take PR without working a single day in 5 years. You were at least working.

1 member reacted to this post

@pranav2424 thank you

Need help with immigration or administrative procedures in Belgium?
Get in touch with an immigration lawyer

@Grunt6891

I talked to one of my friends..he said, first 15 months u might not be eligible.


Its said, spouses hold a derivative of the id card of main person. So if spouse was seconded then u are also not eligible. But I think u r eligible if u were working on local contract even if u didn't have a single permit for first 15 months. Please check with commune once. I think u r eligible.

1 member reacted to this post

Further reading