Menu
Expat.com
Search
Magazine
Search

Single permit processing 2026

My experience for the single permit topic.
Type: renewal - same employer - Region: Flanders
Application date : 22/04/2026
WP admissible: 11/05/2026
WP (work permit): 11/05/2026
RP: waiting - @brla15

Update -

RP: 18/08/2026.


It appears that they are now working on applications with work permit around May 2026.

3 members reacted to this post

@brla15

Do you have any idea if the timeline for renewal is The same as first time application ??

@Zaidelhassani

It can be, sometimes even more. It is really random and depends on the officer handling the request.  For me, the 3rd-time renewal process took about 4 months, near the maximum processing limit.

@Zaidelhassani

TL;DR: they appeared to be the same in timeline.


Long answer: I have the impression that they consider several factors. Of course the baseline is that you have all the necessary documents and that your file is not 'complicated' (for lack of a better term).


In my first time application, the residence permit was approved around 1 month after the work permit, but the residence was approved on the day that my existing student residence permit will expire.


For this renewal, the employer applied 5 months before my residence permit expires (April 2026), the work permit was approved after 1 month (May) and more than 3 months for the residence permit (August). My current residence permit will expire in 2 weeks' time (1st week September).


So there it is, aside from the regular timeline that they target, they also appear to consider expiration of the current residence permit.

WP admissible: 11/05/2026

WP (work permit): 11/05/2026

RP: waiting


Seems like they are taking extra time for new applications, but renewals are faster.


At this point i've been wait for over 15 weeks.


If you need an estimate (Flanders): https://www.vlaanderen.be/werken/een-bu … orlooptijd

@brla15

I appreciate your answer

Hi, I have a question, and I was wondering if anyone knows the answer, as I can't find any guidance on this anywhere:


I am currently on the search year permit with unlimited work rights, which expires at the end of October. I am applying for a 5 month traineeship with an EU institution, which could potentially start in the next few weeks, or at least before my search year permit ends, and for which I will need to apply for a trainee single permit to cover the remainder of the traineeship.


The point of the search year is supposed to be so that you can start working immediately while your single permit application is processed, but as I am coming towards the end of the validity of my search year permit, my question is what happens if I start working and my search year permit expires before I receive a decision on the trainee permit application? Would I need to stop working and/or leave Belgium, or is it similar to the Annex 15 situation during the transition from student permit to search year, where you retain your work and residence rights while the application is being processed?


Grateful for any advice on this, if anyone has been through the process before or is currently going through it.

Hi all,


Is there anyone whose work permit was approved in June 2026 (especially mid-June) and who has now received the federal residence decision?


My file — Brussels


Application date: 14/05/2026

WP approved: 18/06/2026

RP: still waiting


Trying to compare timelines with others from the same month. If you got your Annex 46 after a June work approval, please share the date — and if you're still waiting like me, that's useful to know too.


Thanks, and good luck everyone 🤞

1 member reacted to this post

WP: 02/06

RP: 01/09

good luck

3 members reacted to this post

@junaydcheriti

Congratulations, was it your first time application Or renewal? Also in which region you applied?

@Zaidelhassani

Renewal in Flander

1 member reacted to this post

@underlys

Hi, do you have any update on your application? Have your work permit and residence permit been approved yet? I’m in a similar situation, so any update on your timeline would be very helpful. Thank you!

@Synth88

Even myself, my work permit was issued on 20/05 and still waiting for the RP

1 member reacted to this post

@Zaidelhassani

Thanks for sharing the Information. Please share the update once you get the Residence Permit.

Hope you will get soon! Good Luck!

1 member reacted to this post

I applied for single work permit but still waiting for approval

Any body have timeline information 2026

@Zaidelhassani

Update:

First application Flanders:

Submitted on 22/04/2026

WP received on 20/05/2026

RP received on 08/09/2026

3 members reacted to this post

Anyone with a June 2026 WP approval who has now received their residence decision (Annex 46)?


Mine — Brussels, WP approved 18 June, RP still waiting.

Hi all,
Is there anyone whose work permit was approved in June 2026 (especially mid-June) and who has now received the federal residence decision?

My file — Brussels

Application date: 14/05/2026
WP approved: 18/06/2026
RP: still waiting

Trying to compare timelines with others from the same month. If you got your Annex 46 after a June work approval, please share the date — and if you're still waiting like me, that's useful to know too.

Thanks, and good luck everyone 🤞 - @Synth88


Update:

RP approved: 17/09/2026

Now June month WP approvals are being processed.

Good luck everyone.

2 members reacted to this post

@supertoblerone

Let's us know when they approve yours, you are just before me!

Congratulations @[link under review]

First time Application single permit (Flanders)


Application date: 10/07/2026

Request for more information: 23/07/2026 (HR IGNORED THIS)

WP: 10/09/2026

RP: waiting


Does anyone know if they still honour the 4 month legal processing?

Hi, I am already in Belgium, switching a job while being on a single permit with residence permit valid till mid 2028. I am curious about current work permit processing times. Can someone answer these questions?


  1. As my residence permit is valid, do i need to get a new work permit approval from employer B (new employer) only?
  2. If above is true, then after receiving work permit approval from employer B, can i start working immediately or i have to wait for some annex document?

I shall be thankful for your answers.

Hi, I am already in Belgium, switching a job while being on a single permit with residence permit valid till mid 2028. I am curious about current work permit processing times. Can someone answer these questions?

As my residence permit is valid, do i need to get a new work permit approval from employer B (new employer) only?
If above is true, then after receiving work permit approval from employer B, can i start working immediately or i have to wait for some annex document?

I shall be thankful for your answers. - @musmans

You need a full single permit from new employer. The Belgium single permit is attached to employer. Your existing work permit is invalid once you leave current employer.

If applying in flanders, it takes at least a month to get the work part of the single permit. I think you can start working after that.

1 member reacted to this post
Hi, I am already in Belgium, switching a job while being on a single permit with residence permit valid till mid 2028. I am curious about current work permit processing times. Can someone answer these questions?

As my residence permit is valid, do i need to get a new work permit approval from employer B (new employer) only?
If above is true, then after receiving work permit approval from employer B, can i start working immediately or i have to wait for some annex document?

I shall be thankful for your answers. - @musmans
You need a full single permit from new employer. The Belgium single permit is attached to employer. Your existing work permit is invalid once you leave current employer.
If applying in flanders, it takes at least a month to get the work part of the single permit. I think you can start working after that. - @pranav2424

Thanks Pranav. Do i need to take resignation letter as a proof to give to my new employer for single permit application?

@musmans

They need to apply as soon as possible.ask your employer man. I cant answer this question.

It takes 3-4 months in total.

@musmans

You can have multiple work permit application in parallel, there is no restriction but as pranav says, you need to check the internal policy and requirements of the company...

Hi, I am already in Belgium, switching a job while being on a single permit with residence permit valid till mid 2028. I am curious about current work permit processing times. Can someone answer these questions?

As my residence permit is valid, do i need to get a new work permit approval from employer B (new employer) only?
If above is true, then after receiving work permit approval from employer B, can i start working immediately or i have to wait for some annex document?

I shall be thankful for your answers. - @musmans
You need a full single permit from new employer. The Belgium single permit is attached to employer. Your existing work permit is invalid once you leave current employer.
If applying in flanders, it takes at least a month to get the work part of the single permit. I think you can start working after that. - @pranav2424
Thanks Pranav. Do i need to take resignation letter as a proof to give to my new employer for single permit application?
- @musmans

You don’t need a resignation letter you can just make a declaration saying that you will resign once  your permit is approved. I did it like that back in the days.

Type: renewal - new employer - Region: Flanders

Application date : 03/06/2026

WP admissible: 12/06/2026

RP: 18/09/2026



Good luck!

2 members reacted to this post

First application


Application date : 19/03/2026

Admissible : 03/04/2026

WP approval : 27/08/2026

RP : Pending


For some reason my WP took extremely long and I am well past the 120 deadline only for that. Not even my employer understands the reason. The immigration office confirmed having received my file on the 03/09/2026 but still no annex 47, which I would've expected given my situation. Does anyone know of a case that took so long ? I scrolled over this thread and couldn't seem to find any...

First SP application. Change of status from student to employee.

Region: Brussels

Application date: 23/06/2026

Admissible + WP: 26/06/2026

As of 30/09/2026: 96 days and still waiting in limbo, with no updates anywhere.


I’m going to vent a little... This is an in-country application, which means I am already registered in Belgium. I genuinely don't understand what is taking so long. I feel systematically, bureaucratically, and emotionally tortured by this process, all in a very silent and invisible way. It is 2026, in the middle of Europe. With the technology and resources available today, there is simply no reason for an administrative procedure like this to take months. This is not rocket science.


People's lives are effectively put on hold just because one part of an administrative procedure has been sitting somewhere for more than three months, with no way of knowing what is happening, whether anyone is actually processing it, or when it might end. Nothing can justify putting people through this level of uncertainty. No one can make this make sense. It is simply scandalous.


Good luck to everyone else stuck in this Waiting for Godot-like challenge.

3 members reacted to this post

@andante13

I understand your frustrations and I don't invalidate how you feel, but just be a bit patient.

You will most likely get your application sometime around October, very possible that the latest will be before your student permit expires.

1 member reacted to this post

Hi everyone,

My Single Permit application was submitted in Wallonia on 30 September 2026.

How long did your Annexe 46 take recently?

Thanks!

Quick update for everyone still waiting, so you can factor this into your own situation: I contacted DVZ/OE. They told me to expect a processing time of approximately 17–18 weeks from the date of the regional decision (work authorization). Apparently, it can take even longer than 120 days...

Single Permit Renewal based on existing Unlimited WP


Brussels:


Application sent to DVZ: July 7

DVZ Approval Annex 46: Oct 1

@Typical

How did you know the date of submission to DVZ?

Hi everyone

My first application in Brussels.

My application date is 10 june.

My work permit is issued in 19 August.

Today is 3 October.

From application to today is 113 days

From WP to today is 45 days.

Which one need to approach 4 months?

@Mehrdad_AS

When I received the annex 46 copy, it was on top of an email chain between commune and DVZ.

Hi everyone, slightly off-topic from the title, but still related to the Single Permit.


I recently finished my master’s in Belgium and am waiting for the RP on my Single Permit. I previously asked the commune of Schaerbeek whether I could apply for the Search Year in the meantime, but they told me I couldn’t because I had already found a job. However, I recently found out that this was apparently incorrect: it’s possible to apply for the Search Year while waiting for a Single Permit and start working under the Search Year status.


Has anyone done this? Can I apply for the Search Year without affecting my ongoing Single Permit? And how do I actually apply in Schaerbeek: by email or through the e-guichet? The e-guichet only seems to offer student residence renewal, with no Search Year option. Is the Search Year considered a renewal for this purpose?


My student card expires at the end of October and I can’t get a clear answer from Schaerbeek. I’m stuck in an endless go to the commune → "call us" → "email us" → no answer → go back to the commune loop, so I’d really appreciate hearing from anyone who has actually gone through this.

Here is my update:


EU Blue Card, first application

Region: Flanders

Application date: 13/07/2026

Admissible: 29/07/2026

Work Authorisation: 30/07/2026

Sent to DVZ/IBZ: 30/07/2026

Annex 46 or Resident Permit: 05/10/2026


Federal processing time after Work Authorisation: 67 days

1 member reacted to this post
Need help with immigration or administrative procedures in Belgium?
Get in touch with an immigration lawyer

@Ramzi20

Here is my update:




EU Blue Card, first application


Region: Flanders


Application date: 13/07/2026


Admissible: 29/07/2026


Work Authorisation: 30/07/2026


Sent to DVZ/IBZ: 30/07/2026


Annex 46 or Resident Permit: 05/10/2026




Federal processing time after Work Authorisation: 67 days

1 member reacted to this post

Further reading