Driving safely in Mauritius?

I've been living in Mauritius for 6 months now and I'm happy with the situation for the most part.

Mauritians are friendly to me, and I am learning new cultural differences every day.
But there are still difficulties that cannot be overcome.

That's driving in Mauritius.

I have been driving in various countries such as Korea, Japan, South Africa, and Germany, as well as Cambodia and Thailand, etc..

Driving in Mauritius is a different wall and another level for me.
In the evening after driving, I have pain all over my body, and I want to walk whenever possible, but that is impossible. On holidays, I don't want to see anyone, I just want to stay at home - because I don't want to drive!

First of all, let me tell you, I'm not driving as rough as the Mauritians, I'm driving slowly and carefully.
I'm not complaining about the traffic jams in Mauritius.
I just want to survive here.

If you have any tips you overcame, please share them.
I'm having a hard time with the following situation.

1. When turning right or left at a T-shaped intersection, cars are rushing fast and scary from both sides, but sometimes it's hard to explain to people in other countries. There's always a blind spot at the T-junction in Mauritius. I stick my head forward and watch both sides carefully. but sometimes I can't see the cars coming! Cars don't slow down even when they see me.

2. Some  roads are narrow for two cars to pass by on either side, but a car coming from the opposite side is driving in the middle of the road, and it doesn't slow down even when it sees me on the other side. In this case, I usually pull over my car by the side of the road.

3. In Rotary, it is usually believed that the car that arrives first has priority, but the cars come pouring in out of order from various entrances.

4. When driving on a road I don't know, if I lower it to 60 km or less, the car behind me comes closer as if it would hit my car. I'm scared

5. There are other circumstances.

Again, I just want to take the stress out of driving in Mauritius. Thanks for sharing your tips.
Seems like the problem is your own nerves. Stop being over cautious and go with the flow. 

We are from South Africa and the driving here is really not worse than there.

By being as over cautious as you explain I think you are actually causing the problems you encounter.

Relax and fall in with the rhythm of the traffic instead of holding it up.

If all else fails take a bus. It is safe, on time and cheap as chips
@coolinny if you have pain in your body while driving then see a doctor or get a new car seat. Remember being in Africa driving standards are different to Europe and the UK.  I'd say get a motorcycle but the Mauritians seem to think that you need to ride at the side of the road on a bike.

Buses are an option but you'll take your life in your hands as they pelt along the road swerving dangerously and brake hard - they have to be on time or the driver gets a penalty.

Good luck in conquering your driving demons!
Seem's like you are overthinking all this way too much.

I drove in Europe, SA, the Philipinnes...

And I do not agree that Mauritian driving is bad.

Sure some rules a differents, there are always some idiots on the road, but generaly, I find people to drive quite slowly and to be courteous on the road. The only dangerous thing is that they'd stop everywhere, but again, don't drive fast and you're fine.

If someone ever try to drive 2meters behind me, I just hit the brake pedal (not braking, just activate the light). Trust me they back down.

@coolinny  As  I am  a driver as my full time job in UK for over 40 years  last holiday in Mauritius was in 2019 I hired a car for 2 weeks  without no problem what soever I  enjoyed very well You know we  drive  and follow as per  highway code   in UK . You may find drivers in Mauritius different rhan UK but you have tu adjust according to the flow . I enjoyed  good luck and happy    driving  to you.

Thanks for the advice. It doesn't feel this way when driving north and west, only in Port louis and the center, QB, Curepipe, etc..

@Katrienlombard Thanks for your comments. Where are you from in South Africa? I was fine driving in CapeTown, but very hard in Johannesburg.

@jex2 How was driving in Manila, Philippines? How does it compare to Mauritius? I had a hard time driving in Manila.

I was in a car accident 2 months ago by a car coming from behind.

@coolinny Driving in Manila is the worst thing ever. Now that's dangerous.

@coolinny

You obviously haven't been around other countries and observe their driving.

Mauritius have  one of the best disciplined drivers compared to some other countries

More police on the road than some countries

I suggest you get yourself checked up for your pain or change your car.

Like others have already mentioned that you are over cautious, then try taking some driving lessons to improve your confidence and please stop blaming Mauritius drivers whilst you are only too glad to stay in Mauritius with the comfort that this country offer to you

Moderated by Cheryl last year
Reason : Rude
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct
Hello everyone,

Please note that some inappopriate posts have been removed from this thread.

Cheers,

Cheryl
Expat.com team
@Cheryl Sure, delete my comment where I was calling out ApZ for being rude and where I was comparing Mauritius to other countries, but leave his.

Nice moderating
I can give you a Contact I used, send me a private message

@Sindandsand Call Mr. Bhavin ***. You can give my reference (Shammi). Mr. Bhavin can help you.

Moderated by Cheryl last year
Reason : Kindly exchange professional's contact details by using the private messaging system please.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

@AstroGolf  Thanks, I have

@shammikapoor Thanks, I'll get in touch

I saw a driving instructor yesterday, giving a lesson, with one hand on the steering wheel "helping" the student turn onto a main road and his other hand on the phone while holding a conversation. That says it all.

Because there are worse places to drive in the world doesn't make the poor driving standards here acceptable.

Every single day I see multiple cases of poor and dangerous driving. Cars at traffic lights trying to cut across oncoming cars when they do not have the right of way (observe how many cars have dented side panels as a result).

Cars overtaking a vehicle when they cannot see what is coming on the other side. I find this mind blowing.

Cars overtaking on inside lanes and zig-zagging through lanes on the motorway.

Speeding. Tailgating ( I do find braking suddenly can get them to back off but one shouldn't have to do so).

I find it difficult to comprehend why someone would put their lives, their loved ones and complete strangers at risk for a few seconds gained.

How many times has someone raced to overtake you, only for you to catch up at the next set of traffic lights?

I put my thumbs up and say well done. Burning expensive fuel for nothing. Genius!

It is correct that hesitancy can result in some of these reactions from other drivers but it doesn't excuse clearly dangerous driving.