Egypt Tourist Visa Extension Update April 2021

Hello all,

I thought I would post my experience in extending my Egyptian Tourist Visa in case anyone is about to attempt the procedure.  I arrived in the country and got the standard 30 day visa, but wanted a few extra weeks to look around.  This was the process I went through to extend my visa:

- initially I enquired at the visa office in Luxor, and was told I would need evidence of a rental agreement covering the time I wish to stay in Egypt (this was a concern as I would be travelling around).  I also asked at the visa office in Aswan and was told that the procedure takes weeks from there as they have to send everything to Cairo so better to go to Cairo and  apply

- went to the Passports, Emigration & Nationality Administration (12 Al Seka Al Beydaa, السرايات،، الوايلى،، Cairo Governorate) on a Sunday at 0800.  I understood that this was opening time but the place already appeared to be in full swing.

- from travel blogs I found that I should go to go to window 20 on the second floor to get the ball rolling.  I took with me photocopies of my passport photo page and passport Egyptian Visa page, evidence of my next two accommodation bookings, and a passport photo

- I went to Window 20 as suggested, and things just unfolded from there.  I was pinballed all over the building to have forms stamped and processed, and it was all relatively painless

- when I filled out the form I just put my current airbnb accommodation address in Cairo down.  The officials did not ask for any evidence of my accommodation arrangements (which was my major concern with gaining the visa extension)

- there are photocopying machines in the building plus I think you can also get passport photos done too.  it was much easier though having my documents already copied and ready to go.  All that was required was one copy of the passport photo page, one copy of the passport Egyptian Visa page, one passport photo

- I paid an initial fee of 1,175 Egyptian Pounds.  You pay at a bank desk in the building.  I took cash - there is also an ATM there.  I think there was also a VISA (credit card that is) sign at the bank window.

- even though I didn't know what was going on, I just did what I was told and queued at the assigned window and it all just happened.  If I got confused I just asked at the nearest free window as was soon back on track

- at 0840 I was told to return the following day

- I returned the following day at 0800 and went to the window I was told to report to (before leaving the previous day).  I was sent around again, and paid another fee of 760 Egyptian Pounds. I was then told to return in two hours time.  This was 0840.

- I returned at 1040 and was told my visa was not yet ready.  I returned to the desk and checked every half hour, and was given my visa at 1330.  So a bit of waiting around on the second day.  There are clean toilets in the building, plenty of places to sit, and a cafeteria.

Hope this is helpful for anyone who is looking to extend their visa.

All the best,

Jim

G'day Darryl and apologies for my slow reply.

The standard visa extension is three months - you are not asked how long you wish to extend - it seems that three months is the only option.

Hope this helps,

Jim

Thanks for the helpful post. How far in advance of your visa expiration did you apply for the extension?

G'day glad you found the post useful. 

I applied four days before my original 30 day visa expired.  I had tried to apply for an extension in the weeks prior at Luxor and Aswan but at Luxor they wanted a rental agreement which I didn't have (and when I applied in Cairo I wasn't asked for), and in Aswan they said it takes weeks to process and you're better off applying in Cairo.

So I ended up cutting it pretty fine.  I was told somewhere (sorry can't remember the source) that tourists get a two week 'grace' period after their visa expires but can't guarantee this.

I had a plan to leave the country if my application failed so had that up my sleeve.

As I mentioned it took two business days to process so it's reasonably quick. 

Hope this helps and all the best,
Jim

Good day,

I also had a question about the length of the extension but see it was answered. I would just like to clarify that 3 month extension is that the time we my stay in country before leaving.

Thanks for all the information

Hello mate, yes that's right. you get a 30 day visa when you first arrive, then the extension is 3 months before you have to leave Egypt.  Glad the info helped and all the best

Hello everyone

Maybe you could help me out on this one. When I have my tourist visa do i need a return ticket or can I enter with a one way.

It used to be you could enter with a one-way ticket. That changed about a year ago. If you don't have a round trip ticket with an exit date and you are not a citizen, the airport has been instructed to not let you on the plane. You will be forced to buy a return ticket on the spot.  You must have an exit strategy or plan with an exit date. This has happened to me. It helps if you can get a "no fee" ticket or a ticket that allows you to change your exit date without getting hit with a change fee.

Hey there, I was lucky to have a different experience.  I entered Egypt without an 'exit' ticket and was able to buy a 30 day tourist visa when I arrived at Cairo airport.  When I got my tourist visa extended I was not asked to show evidence of an exit ticket either. 

tgoandco is sounds as though you had a very different experience!

Good day,

Apologies for all the questions but they have really helped with the process.

Taking money to Egypt. We are unable to get EGP, if I bring USD or GBP is it easily exchangeable at the airport or somewhere in the city.

And am I able to bring around $3000.

Thanks

Hello Mate,

Yes no problem at all you an exchange your USD or GBP in Egypt.  Otherwise there are ATMs everywhere (Egypt runs on a cash economy) so you will be able to withdraw EGP.

All the best

Hi,

You had to pay EGP 1175... that seems a lot when the original visa is $25!

If you overstay your visa, you simply pay a fine at the airport: I believe it is around EGP1,600 but don't quote me. It is very routine, and carries no other stigma or penalty. There is a police office for this, nearby to the immigration booths. The last time I did this ( a month or so ago), the officer in charge refused to take my money: he smiled and said "are you not aware that if you are over 60 we do not penalise you for visa overstay?"

I said does that mean I can stay here for the rest of my life without penalty? He laughed and said yes of course, but if you leave for a holiday you will need a new visa to get back in....

paulgood wrote:

Hi,

You had to pay EGP 1175... that seems a lot when the original visa is $25!

It is the same prorata: $25=EGP390, for 1 month. Extension for 3 months= EGP1175/3= $25/month.

Thank you very much, mtdd, this is very helpful (don't worry, I won't quote you ...  ;)
As I am also over 60 and will have overstayed my visa by around two months I now don't expect any troubles when leaving Egypt in two weeks.

Many thanks Jim for the detailed outline of the process.

so can let let me know what happened when you left?

I'm over 60 and might overstay by a week or so...  Otherwise, it's two days applying for extension etc.
I know the rules change frequently and nothing is written in stone :)

Brief update: when I last left Cairo I overstayed my visa expiration by more than two months. The lady at the immigration counter at the airport just shook her head and asked me to see the gentleman in the office to pay a fine... So I saw the responsible officer and told him, I was surprised that I should pay a fine because I had heard being over 60 I wouldn't be fined. He looked at me, then in my passport and told me it was all my fault because I was looking like 45 ... ;-)
To make a long story short: If you are 60+ you are not fined if you stay longer than your visa expiration date in Egypt. But I am not sure if that applies for all nationalities or only for selected ones (I am an Austrian citizen).

Good luck!
Friedrich

Thanks a lot. I'm Europeans also but definitely don't look 45 (lucky you). I'll let you know what happens if I need to overstay. Regards, Tony

Sorry that you have had obviously such bad experiences. I live in Cairo since almost 4 years and my experience with the people was neither better nor worse than in any other country I have lived so far - my home country included.

I guess I was just lucky... ;-)

Re: Tony

I also don't look like 45 - I guess this guy just wanted to make my day...  :)

Safe journey!

Told you so!  :D

Can you please tell me if there is option to pay the fine if you over stay in dollars. Or do i have to carry the egyptian pounds.