Has anyone applied for a residency card after COVID?

Hello!

Looking to move to Morocco and wanted to know if anyone had applied for a residency card (carte de sejour) after COVID started? More specifically, has anyone applied NOT through marriage?

Thanks for your answers in advance!

Yes, I applied but I am an international student at UM6P and the university took care of several aspects of the application. I got the temporary card after a week and now waiting for the permanent card.

Documents I submitted
CV
Visa
The medical certificate
True certified copy of intl passport + copy of the page showing the stamp of entry in Morocco.
Criminal records
residence certificate
attestation of scholarship (in place of bank accounts)
Schooling certificates
100 Dh
6 passport photos

Thank you so much for your information! The criminal record from your country was any document from the police or it has to be from the government?

It was from the police HQ of my country

I have currently applying fornthebsecond time now married to a maroc woman
Once again no consistency unfortunatley likr marriage
The  police station needs to be visited from thebregion you are applying as they will verify and ask questions and need 4 copies and offixial stamps on each copy showing original fro the local muquita bureau in the same town
I needed many things to present and i need to complete an application form after they reveived paperwork and verified
I have vsiited the same police man 6 times and each time it has adjusted and more copies nneeded or stamped
I think this pilice station never processed often so they seem to juct change their mind each visit i alsontried in anoyher region with eu residents retired to in maroc and the police station their only needed 4 piexes of paerwork on 1 copy and 4 photos not 16 which ibhave been required to submit thisbtime???
I hope to get the process completed in 1 month as they say after submission of papers return after 1 month
But alas it seems easier to get married!!!
Go to main  police station from your area you are applying and ask to see the carte sejour person and fingers crossed they are knowledgable and helpful and follow their requirements what they to see for the application
Good luck

As i have found this frustrating and over complicated despite published onlinr as eqsy process - not true! at Present from my experience
Patience needed as they are very slow and seem unsure from both regions inhave applied with such contradictions 🤔

Regards

Hi!  I am doing that now!  Biggest obstacle was that my prints were too old and no one (police or American Embassy) is doing the FBI finger prints check so just flew back to Seattle last week to get that done and flying out tomorrow back to Morocco..now my home!  Happy to help!  What questions do you have?

Lisa

Yes just completed the process and awaiting temp card for 3 m then change for 12m

Not easy. But possible

The fingerprinting inyernational check is done after you receive the paperwork from your police station and you present it to the Ministry of Justice in Rabat in person. They will send you to have their form photocopied and brought back, with stamps purchased at a bearby printshop and within a couple of hours, you will receive your clearance. They process it online with your government agency. Sorry, but i don't remember the cost of the stamps and residency permit, but it isn't much. The criminal records check is your last formality before you present your file to your police officer and they will dispatch it via a few hands for more stamps, until you receive your residency card which will be good for three years, renewable two times and the third time, it will be good for ten years. Expect several months before you get it, so keep your receipt paper with you. My last renewal card took ten months to get! You will pick it up at the police station. Also, be aware that you are not allowed to work on that permit, unless you ask for a work permit, and that you need to verify a monthly income. Student permits are different, also if you want to start a business. Good luck!

The fingerprints check is automatically done by the Ministry of Justice and only takes a couple of stamps and hours to get your clearance. I am surprised this happened to you because i never had that problem with my US passport, neither the embassy nor the consulate intervening in these things. Maybe you were misinformed?

So Norcal
Did you get your criminal history check in Morocco? Not from US?

Yes i have applied and i have gotten the paper receipt...waiting for card in mail but i can use the paper receipt for any banking etc now

Hi Liza was the criminal record difficult to obtain from your home country?

Easy to get once I got back to the United States...I filled out paperwork at post office in Seattle, paid some money to them and got my background back from FBI within in a week via e-mail.  I printed that off for police department and had my papers with resident number within 2 - 3 weeks.  The hardest thing was the bank...they wanted $10,000 in my bank account here in Morocco so had to transfer that from US to CIH Bank and when I got my Resent receipt they still did not want to give me a durham account and gave me some lame excuse about the main bank in Casablanca has to approve it (after I already had waited 2 months) so I told them I was going to the police...that they can't keep my money.  They would not let me take any of it out so I had no access to the $10,000 nor the durham account...I got a lawyer and he went in to talk to them and they finally released my account funds....

Hi liza
Did you translate your fbi background to french and notarized? Before submission?

And what bank was that? Liza

I think you have to get the FBI background check apostilled. But correct me if I am wrong!

"Easy to get once I got back to the United States...I filled out paperwork at post office in Seattle, paid some money to them and got my background back from FBI within in a week via e-mail.  I printed that off for police department and had my papers with resident number within 2 - 3 weeks.  The hardest thing was the bank...they wanted $10,000 in my bank account here in Morocco so had to transfer that from US to CIH Bank and when I got my Resent receipt they still did not want to give me a durham account and gave me some lame excuse about the main bank in Casablanca has to approve it (after I already had waited 2 months) so I told them I was going to the police...that they can't keep my money.  They would not let me take any of it out so I had no access to the $10,000 nor the durham account...I got a lawyer and he went in to talk to them and they finally released my account funds...."

This is not good! Now, you've to file FBAR for US taxes for 2021 when you do taxes next year, since you put $10,000 USD into foreign bank account. If you fail to file FBAR and US Gov finds out, the penalties are severe even more so than the IRS. They will fine you and take all that $10,000 and more if US Gov wants too if you're a US citizen.

So, for clarification the $10,000 in a Moroccan bank account isn't a requirement, correct?

Also, has any US citizen applied in Rabat specifically without a FBI Criminal Record history and just a state criminal history check?

It appears the bank account requirement may have changed. Years ago, you could just show you had enough in your US bank account. Then, I'd read the amount depends on the city you apply. At a minimum, I believe it's $5000 USD to $10,000 USD in Morocco bank depending on the city you apply.

Okay thanks, there's nothing really in stone for the criminal record or financial part, so I'm kind of at a loss of how to proceed.

masked_wanderer wrote:

Okay thanks, there's nothing really in stone for the criminal record or financial part, so I'm kind of at a loss of how to proceed.

There is, but I don't know what it's currently. If I find out, I'll let you know. I haven't been back to Morocco, since Covid.

Thank you so much, I really appreciate your help and everyone else's help. Fattayha was also an amazing help. I'm grateful I found this community.

This is from US Embassy & Consulate Services.

https://ma.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-se … n-morocco/

FBI background check is required. Also, they are calling the permit Certificat d'Immatriculation not Carte Sejour. It could be same thing.

Moroccan Residence Permit

Introduction

If you plan to stay in Morocco for more than 90 days, you will need to register with the police and apply for a residence permit, known locally as a Certificat d'Immatriculation. In cities, applications should be submitted to the Bureau des Etrangers of the Préfecture de Police or Commissariat Central, while those applying to reside in rural areas or villages should apply to the Gendarmerie.

There are eight categories of Moroccan residence permit. Applicants for a resident permit are required to select the appropriate category for their situation and submit two notarized copies of all required documents. Documents should be notarized at the city hall office (Muqata'a) closest to your residence.

Application Process

At the Bureau des Etrangers you will have to complete an application form and pay a fee. You will be told whether your application has been accepted or whether you need to submit more documents. If everything with your application is OK, you will be told to return to pick up your provisional residency card, called a Récépissé, which is for use while your official Certificat d'Immatriculation is processed and printed.

Required Documents

Criminal Record Check: All first-time residency applicants are now required to provide proof from their country of origin they have no criminal record or convictions. For information on obtaining an FBI record, please refer to: http://www.fbi.gov. Please note the Consulate in Casablanca and the Embassy in Rabat are unable to take fingerprints and submit them to the FBI.
Medical Certificate: You are required to provide a medical certificate from a local doctor confirming that you have no contagious diseases.
Bank Statements: The authorities require evidence of your local checking account balance in the form of a statement from your Moroccan bank, frequently known as an attestation bancaire.
Renewing Your Residence Permit

Those renewing their residency card can apply for a Casier Judiciaire which can be obtained from the Ministry of Justice in Rabat. You will need a copy of your birth certificate which lists details of both parents' names and a copy of your passport. You may be required to return to Rabat to pick up your approved card since applications are not typically processed the same day.

Minors Resident in Morocco

Those seeking to live with their minor children in Morocco must apply for a minor's relocation document, known as a Document de Circulacion, on their behalf. If a minor has been residing in Morocco without a relocation document, they will be prohibited from leaving Morocco until their parents file for and receive a Document de Circulacion.

To be eligible for a Document de Circulacion, a minor must be residing in Morocco have one of the following apply:

At least one parent has a residence card;
They were born abroad to a Moroccan mother and do not have Moroccan citizenship;
They are a refugee; or
They entered Morocco on a visa of more than three months.
If one of the situations above applies to you, submit your application as soon as possible to the relevant authorities listed above.

The required documents to obtain a relocation document are:

2 copies of the passport;
2 copies of the parent's residence certificate or document establishing their status in Morocco;
2 copies of the birth certificate;
1 sponsorship certificate signed by one of the parents;
2 copies of the bank statements (3 months history) of the sponsor (the mother or the father);
1 medical certificate;
1 school registration certificate (if the child is of school age);
8 passport size photographs;
2 copies of the sponsor's residence card.

Can we use the e-mail copy of the FBI background check? Does it need to be apostilled? Thank you!!

NancyMenebhi wrote:

Can we use the e-mail copy of the FBI background check? Does it need to be apostilled? Thank you!!

Usually they require the original copy and then that copy to be translated to Arabic

What you could do if your in Morocco or your fiancé is in morocco send a copy by email colour print it and then ask the marriage court if that's ok don't tell them it's not original they should say yes it's fine and to get it translated.

Otherwise you will need to get someone from USA to send it via DHL or FedEx which is fast delivery but expensive.

Hope this helps.

I used an e-mail copy and had it translated and they took it no problem!

Thank you!