Sarawak Issues Reformed Sarawak My Second Home Package

Revisions to Sarawak MM2H to "increase participation". Already back-dated to be effective as of September 1st.

https://www.theborneopost.com/2020/09/0 … oreigners/

I think they will actually see the opposite effect unless the press conference did not cover all the provisions....it looks like it was written by the property agents.

Here are some of the highlights:

1) New category  40 and 50-years-old  - Must invest in property, specifically for residential purposes with a total amount of at least RM600,000. [So good...but bad]

2) Increase in Fixed deposit -
From RM100,000 to RM150,000 for individuals
From RM150,000 to RM300,000 for couples.
[No mention if the will retain the "proof of salary" option, or if withdrawals will increase.
I have advised them that the FD actually does not bring economic benefit to Sarawak...unless it can be spent within Sarawak]

3) Minimum for House/Condo Purchase increases
From RM350,000 to RM600,000 for Kuching division
From RM300,000 to RM500,000 for other divisions in Sarawak

[This could actually reduce the purchase of housing and condos ]

4) Residency Requirement
All S-MM2H pass holders need to stay a minimum of 15 days per year in the state to qualify them for a renewal of S-MM2H pass after five years.
[Unclear if this is every year or if it can be concentrated in one visit of 2.5 months?]

5) Dependents
[There has been an expansion of the types of dependents who may come. This makes sense as they are lower the age of application.]
Previously parents of the applicants were not allowed now parents may also be awarded a visa. Previously children above 18 were not allowed now children below the age of 21 and not married are allowed to accompany the applicants,

6) Health Insurance
Applicants are required to purchase medical insurance for themselves and dependents.
[Prior to this there was no insurance requirement and the applicant was expected to pay costs over-the-counter. Is there an option to demonstrate sufficient coverage on alternative insurance schemes?]

7) Letter of Good Conduct:
Applicants would need to submit a letter of good conduct from relevant government authorities in their home country and the S-MM2H pass can be revoked if participants had any criminal offences.
[Home country or country of long-term residence?]

8) Security Bond:
“The imposition of security or personal bonds to act as a refundable security deposit in case of any breach or non-compliance to the Immigration Ordinance or Regulations or when unexpected incidents happen to S-MM2H participants and can be used for cost of deportation if necessary”
[It's unclear if this is required in lieu of a sponsor, as on the Peninsula, or how much is required. It is refundable.]

7) Processing: An  establishment of a one-stop panel comprising of multiple government agencies to approve S-MM2H applications. This will ensure that all applications are processed and approved promptly and efficiently.

[Unclear benefit. Sarawak already had a fairly fast approval rate. What really is needed is a prominent campaign to promote the program].

8) Agents/Sponsors
It seems that they will continue to require sponsors (or maybe only if the applicant uses an agent)...the major issue with applications. However "agents registered with the state ministry are now allow to submit an application on behalf of applicants, to ease the difficulties faced by applicants in finding a sponsor, while helping tourism agencies in the state to be S-MM2H agents."

[Unless there is an option to apply individually, without a sponsor, the problem of finding a sponsor continues. Why have a sponsor that "vouches" for you if you can just "buy one"? It takes any "security value" out of having a sponsor. Of course the approving Ministries will generate income by licensing fees. What are the requirements to become a SMM2H sponsor? Do they require a Sarawak co-director? What are the fees?]

Any new applications after September 1st would be required to abide by the new regulations. So they backdated the policy so that those attempting to get grandfathered in cannot take the earlier option.

I'll likely stroll over to the Ministry of Tourism on Monday to find out more about the new program.
[BTW I was not invited to the Press Conference to ask questions]

Thanks, Cinnamonape. If you do go to the MoT perhaps you can clarify the renewal criteria for current SMM2H holders? Specifically, will the 15 days per year residence apply from 1st September 2020 (really difficult to comply with that this year because of the Covid restrictions), or only after the next renewal. Much obliged.

I'll definitely check. Hopefully we will be Grandfathered in and none of the new provisions will apply to us at all. I also  want to check to see if the 15 days /year is averaged over the term of the visa (i.e could you do the whole allotment in 2 and a half months on one visit. In financial terms (the benefit for Sarawak) it really doesn't make that much difference...same amount of hotel and other sundry costs the recipient. One would have to stick close to Malaysia if it was every year, plus have to spend more on flights.

Hi Cobolin,

Everything is "grandfathered" (i.e laissez-faire based on the rules when the visa holder applied). The one exception is the purchase of property. Ministry of Lands for some reason decided to set the floor at RM600K in 1999. I suspect that it was to just be at parity with West Malaysia which had just lowered the floor to RM600K to help encourage expats buying at that range.  Just the opposite of what was needed to resolve a property glut.

IOW YOU don't have to move to Sarawak, increase FD's, show more £ upon renewal etc.

Thanks for the clarification! (BTW I suspect you meant to type 2019, not 1999).

Yes 2019...last year...was when the increased the floor for foreigners.

Hi there,

For the new category of ages 40 to 50 is it now compulsory to invest in property or is it just an option ? Also they say the FD has increased but what about the proof of salary option? Is it still the same or has this option been cancelled?

Good grief they keep making it tougher for people, at a time in the world when everything is so unstable. Wonderful.

sburghart wrote:

Hi there,

For the new category of ages 40 to 50 is it now compulsory to invest in property or is it just an option ? Also they say the FD has increased but what about the proof of salary option? Is it still the same or has this option been cancelled?

As stated in the post for the Age 40-50 year category the purchase of a RM600,000 property is mandatory. "MUST invest in property".  In addition that individual must also submit either a FD of 300K (per couple)/RM150K (single)  [Option 1] or show sufficient guaranteed sources of income [Option 2].

The proof of salary/pension option amount has remained the same. RM7000/month single or RM 10,000/month couple.

Here is the detailed explanation of the requirements.

https://mtac.sarawak.gov.my/page-0-179- … Forms.html

If you have children who intend to go to school in Sarawak and are under age 50...the MM2H (w/child) is the better option.

Really the only category where things have remained almost the same the same is for those over 50 with pension/proof of income.

Even there it requires an annual visit to Sarawak of 15 days a year IF you want a visa renewal.

The main new benefits are a) 10-Year Visa (increased from 5 Yr. Visa), b) ability to bring in parents and your married children up to 21 as dependents, c) the ability to use a registered licensed Sarawakian agent legally in lieu of a sponsor.

cvco wrote:

Good grief they keep making it tougher for people, at a time in the world when everything is so unstable. Wonderful.

Well, Sarawak hasn't changed its MM2H visa program in over 15 years. But the added benefits will only appeal to some, and expect that more will find them more onerous that the previous program. The changes are hardly conducive to more applications and actually increase the amount of paperwork and time required to process the visa.

My hope was that they would have good for a straightforward refundable Security Deposit Fee paid to the Sarawak MM2H desk of the MoT...and get rid of sponsors entirely. The idea that sponsors provide any sort of "reference" which it's a commercial transaction is absurd. You grease the palm you get the sponsor.

I can only hope that there will be a number of applications for agents by Sarawakians that will undercut  the illegal agents fees. 

I don't see the benefits as being attractive across the board...they help a few special cases. But the negatives are pretty much going to cut down application numbers...and the expansion of the age group allowed to apply has such harsh requirements that virtually no one will apply for that category. How does one hunt for a decent house? Would people buy property PRIOR to receiving a visa? Can a person who purchases property apply for withdrawal of their fixed deposit to help but that property? Can they obtain a mortgage loan? Etc.

Where can we get an approve agent for S-MM2H?

As to approved agents the Sarawak MM2H page on the Ministry of Tourism site lists about FIVE that they consider authorized.

https://mtac.sarawak.gov.my/upload/file … S-MM2H.jpg

I tried to contact several of these and found them ill prepared for their newfound bounty.
Most had shut up shop re. MM2H over the last few years as they were told that they could NOT operate. Now they CAN.

A Borneo Escape and Borneo Dreamland told me they are not acting as MM2H agents anymore/currently. I did not contact AUS Management as they are in Miri and MM2H told me the Ministry of Immigration were not accepting applications through the immigration office in Miri anymore.

That leaves Crowe Howarth (attn. Katrin)  and Jaunt Asia (attn. Saffwan). Both told me that they were aware of some of the rule changes and would likely resume but have not set prices. I did confirm verbally that they are fully-owned Sarawakian businesses.

I hope that other Sarawakian agents also open and offer a range of different priced options, including some that are quite cheap. Competition seems essential to this. I also had hoped that there would be a way of applying directly vis the Sarawak MOTAC by submitting the bond up front. Sadly that did not happen.

Hi: I have a question. To renew (not extend for five years) my membership of the program, which I joined long before the recent changes, am I subject to the new requirements or the old ones? The new requirements state that after 10 years, you need to renew your application. Thanks.

@Bemang Please read posts #3 and 4

bemang wrote:

Hi: I have a question. To renew (not extend for five years) my membership of the program, which I joined long before the recent changes, am I subject to the new requirements or the old ones? The new requirements state that after 10 years, you need to renew your application. Thanks.

I'm a bit confused. Has your visa already lapsed (i.e. you didn't renew in time after 5 years)? If THAT is the case then you would have to APPLY under the new program. There would not be a "reapply" since you no longer have the old visa (But see ** below).

If on the other hand you WANT to enter the new program (for the 10 year visa) you would have to let your visa lapse and APPLY for the new one. I personally don't see much logic in that since you would have to meet lots of additional requirements (such as the 15-day/year rule, Letter of Good Conduct and larger Fixed Deposit).

There was no sponsor requirement at the renewal so really the conditions are not that onerous for the old reapplication. It was  just proof that you have the minimum in the FD (or adequate income) and a new health check.

**I have heard that if you are having difficulties renewing because of the RMCO and pandemic (and you are having difficulties returning to Sarawak)  contacting Sarawak Immigration and explaining the circumstances will result in a generous extension.

Much kudos to you, Cinnamonape.  I have read all your posts and consider you the premier authority on all things Malaysia, especially the SM2H on which you are indisputably the ranking expert. But I think you might be in error about one thing. The newly revised SM2H program booklet seems to say the 15 day each year rule applies to all SM2H visa holders, whether the visa was granted under the old program or under the new program. For example, someone who got the SM2H two years ago must start complying with the new 15 day/year rule going forward, if he or she wishes to get an extension after the fifth year.  (Your post above suggests that the new 15 day /year requirement does not apply to people holding a visa granted under the old regime.)

Thanks JJ, although I would beg to disagree about being the expert on "all things Malaysia"...how things work on the Peninsula often remain obscure and inexplicable to me ~

I was told by the new Director of the SMM2H program that the new requirements would not be required of those who had already been issued SMM2H visas and that they were only bound by the terms on their previously issued letter of Conditional Approval.

That would mean that no additional requirements would be imposed (i.e "grandfathered" in under the regulations at the time of acceptance).

If by your logic that the new regulations required all past recipients to abide by those conditions to obtain renewal it would also require them to increase their Fixed Deposit amounts to the new amounts (if they were under that provision). They would also have to obtain a Letter of Good Behaviour from the Police. While most of those on the visa live in Sarawak, some do live in the Peninsula or on occasion move to another country or return home for long periods for work or family commitments....only to return to Sarawak later.

No one holding the current SMM2H has been notified that they must fulfil these new conditions.

If this condition is imposed (especially without notification to those impacted) I would suspect that many current recipients would find themselves suddenly and unexpectedly denied renewal. That would not only reduce the number of applicants but seriously impact the reputation of the program as much of the promotion of the program is word-of-mouth from those currently ON the program.

Do you have another source for the idea that the conditions apply to previous as well as new recipients of the SMM2H visa?

Hi again, Thanks for your response. When I applied, I was granted a five-year visa. When this visa was about to expire, I applied for an extension of five years, but I was asked if I wanted ten years, which I took. My question concerns what happens on the expiry of this ten-year visa (I still have some years to go). By the way. for my extension after five years, I had to provide another letter from my sponsor. Can you please confirm whether renewals, in addition to extensions, are grandfathered? Thanks a lot.

OK. I am confused. My approval letter says that "your application for Social Visit Pass under the [MM2H] programme has been approved on 60 months (direct) basis, ..." I'm not sure what "direct"
means, but the letter does not mention ten years. Does this mean that I can continue to extend my visa every five years and that the issue of renewals/reapplications does not apply?

I'm a bit confused too. Does your passport say you've receive ten years (120 months)  and your original letter (60 months)?

The offer of ten years sounds as if the officer was either trained in the Peninsula or received training before 2012 when I think they started issuing 5 year term visas. Most people I know have only received 5 year visas and even some that originally received 10 year seem now to receive only five years.

I have no idea what "direct basis" means.

You'll need to reapply within 6 months of your visa term expiring. So whatever is in your passport is what is relevant. Given that they are now shifting over to a ten year visa for new applicants they may no longer bother to issue five year renewals. We will have to wait and see.

It is critical that one brings in the original Letter of Conditional Approval for the renewal as they may try to insert the "boilerplate language" of the new application (i.e. the "must visit 15 days/year", etc.) rule in a new letter. Make it clear that you applied before the rule change and want maintain those conditions...even if the new rules allow more benefits.

I'm personally unsure how they are even going to maintain these new conditions...are they really going to go back over all your entry stamps and count days? For travellers that do a lot of travel they may have to submit two (or three) passports (one new one old) with a lot of stamps. Will the purchase of a house or condo suffice? Do they really want to lose someone that has spent hundreds of thousands of dollars in Sarawak because they went home for a year to care for someone sick and missed the required 15 days by one or two?

I was told that one did not need to submit sponsor information again, both by the SMM2H Director and by a fairly high Immigration officer.

Reading over the NEW Regulations seems to indicate some changes in terminology though. The FIRST "renewal" is being called an "extension" and requires no document showing the involvement of the sponsor or agent.  This is for five years. The second renewal requires what is essentially an application as a NEW APPLICANT and ALL the documentation.

That raises all sorts of issues. Does one need a new sponsor or agent? Does one have to "top up" the Fixed Deposit even though one had legimately drawn down the deposit subsequently? Why is there not simply a pro-forma renewal as the applicant presumably has shown good behaviour and contributed to the economy for a decade. Why push them back to Stage One all over again?

Will this apply to recipients that applied under the old policy that had not such "submit a new application" requirement?

Yes, my current visa is for ten years, so when it expires I will have been  under the SMM2H program for 15 years. What's the difference between extend, renew, and reapply? Which applies to those of us under the old regulations do when our visas expire? Is it the case (old regulations) that it is a ten-year program and that after the first five years, we have to extend for another five, and after ten years, we have to reapply and start over? By the way, I'm not worried about the residence period, but I would like to know if I have to top up my fixed deposit (II withdrew to buy a house) if I have to reapply.

Ah, you just addressed my concerns. Thanks.

Sorry, "clearly stated" my concerns.

In addition to the issues you raised, will this "new application," if required, be according to the new or old regulations?

I suggest that you raise the questions and concerns with the SMM2H office. I can't predict what they will do inasmuch no one I know has submitted a reapplication/renewal of an OLD visa during the period since these new regulations have been set in.

I'm even wondering if they realise that it might be a problem?

I have told them though, that if the new regulations were intended to make the bureaucracy EASIER and that the rules were supposed to increase application they did just the opposite to obtain those objectives. They made it more muddled, more of a confusing labyrinth, and made it more expensive...

All they needed to do was to eliminate the sponsor requirement and take the Security Bond themselves...and that would have reached their objectives.

If they wanted to have people on the visa spend more money/time in Sarawak they could have instituted a 90-day requirement over the 5 year term of the visa. That could be done the first year, the last year or spread out as convenient to the recipient. But there will still be people that abuse the system. If they simply want to live on the Peninsula they could never visit Sarawak and simply forego renewal. And if they offer a 10 year visa they could wait off for a decade. They need carrots, not sticks.

Cinnamonape: Sorry about my belated reply. Went out Saturday and got back so late that I slept in all  day Sunday.  I want to say first off that, when I started reading Expat.com, you and Gravitas were the two top experts on Malaysia (even though you were relatively new to the forum compared to Gravitas who had submitted thousands of posts.)  Then sometime last year, Gravitas seemed to disappear from the face of the earth. So that leaves you, the reigning expert.  By the way, what happened to Gravitas?  That's a question I've been too afraid to ask.  Can you please tell me?  Or is it bad to ask?

As for my source regarding the S-MM2H 15day/year requirement:  Page 23 of the recently published Application Procedure of S-MM2H Guidelines 1 (dated September 2020) states: "All approved participants are required to stay at least 15 days every year in Sarawak as one of the consideration of extension and renewal of MM2H Visa".   My reading of this sentence is "All approved participants" does not differentiate between newly-approved program participants and existing (already-approved) visa-holders.   My only other source is what you wrote (about a year ago, I guess) with respect to some couple in Sabah who was applying for an extension of their MM2H when their initial 5 years expired (or was about to expire.)  If my memory serves correctly, you wrote that Sabah requires their applicants to actually have a home (rented or purchased) in Sabah and to show proof of this residence when applying for the extension.  As I recall, that couple failed to get their extension because they did not have a home in Sabah/had not spent enough time in Sabah during the first 5 years of their MM2H.  You commented (in that post)  that Sarawak might do something similar in future.  I don't think my recollection is wrong though you would have a clearer memory as to what you wrote.  So you, Cinnamonape, are my "other" source.

Anyway, I'm not so sure that the Sarawak MOTAC or Immigration Dept. will not apply this newly-minted 15 day rule against existing S-MM2H visa holders.  The senior official you recently spoke with, who told you the new rules don't apply to the "grandfathered" group, did not put it in writing for you so his opinion or assurance probably cannot count for much.  (Later, he might say you misunderstood or misquoted him, if the government chooses to implement their new policy differently.  Just like in Sabah with that couple who had no idea they had to spend any length of time in Sabah in order to be entitled to an extension of their visa.  The Sabah requirement apparently was not an official rule put into law; but merely a policy initiative or departmental practice.)

You see, existing S-MM2H visa holders either do or do not spend time in Sarawak.  If, when they seek an extension of their visa, their history shows they had not spent much time in Sarawak during the previous 4 or 5 years, Sarawak MOTAC/Immigration could not care less to reject their request for extension, since they have not been contributing to the Sarawak economy anyway.  (Get rid of the riffraff, right?)  So, to implement the new rule to disqualify existing visa-holders, seems perfectly logical.

May I make a suggestion?  If you see that senior official again, ask him to put it in writing for you, perhaps in the form of a brief letter "To Whom It May Concern".  Whatever it is that he says.  And if someone runs up against a brick wall when seeking an extension, they can come to you (the expert acting as consultant); you give the consultee a copy of the letter and charge a small fee for the consult; let the consultee go sort it out using what that senior official had put in the letter so the consultee at least has a leg to stand on.

Just got a reply from an official: At the end of ten years, we need to submit a new application under the new requirements. This means that we "oldies" have to top up our fixed deposit accounts (if applicable), buy health insurance, get police clearance, and renew our sponsorship, among other things. Mmm.

Reading all of the above posts, there is only one certainty: confusion. One immigration officer says one thing, another says different. I think the only thing to do is enquire in person at Immigration HQ immediately before your renewal and see what that week's rules are.

If we all have to reapply under the new rules, that will probably tip me towards not bothering and finding a new country to live in that will honour the deal I sign up for upon first application. When the rules are changed retrospectively and are subject to the interpretation of whichever official you happen to speak to, there is no security and absolutely no incentive to invest in a country in any long term way.

I am not a consultant. I would not want me to be drawn into some battle with the government and thus be charged with "working". After all, my SMM2H explicitly states "no employment".

I think that if someone (as yourself) wishes to enquire and demand a statement in writing that you do so directly with the Ministry of Tourism.

And it is true that I am taking someone's word for what the policy will be. And while it is true that they may change that policy and require previous recipients with all the rules and regulations of the NEW applicants/recipients that would be disastrous to their reputation. They could just as easily tell people, "now you have to increase your FD". Or they could create a new rule requiring a $10,000 fee and tell everyone to "pay up". Yes they COULD do that, but it would destroy the program and drive out those already in it.

As to people who have SMM2H and are on the Peninsula who don't visit Sarawak annually ...if they really fear this happening and cannot get a written statement then perhaps they should spend 15 days a year on a visit.

As regards the Sabah situation...all my information comes from a fellow that was not renewed. He wasn't, he claims, told about the residence policy from his agent and when he returned to get his 10 year renewal was denied. Sabah (unlike Sarawak) has no written set of policies at all, it seems. The old rules for Sarawak MM2H exist and the Letter of Conditional Approval (which should be preserved by everyone as they ask for it at renewal) does NOT include the requirement of 15 days/year. No such notice has been made to current holders that requirements have changed.

Bemang. Can you provide this email and the name of the person who sent it to you?

Please note that the information I provided applies to new applications on completion of 10 years (we need to apply again, not extend/renew). I did not enquire about extensions.

Cinnamonape:  Can you redact the personal information from the Letter of Conditional Approval and post a copy here so we can see what it says?  Or maybe copy and paste the text of it here, without any personal info?  I don't know what are its terms or its language.

Here is what it says (apologies for the bad and sometimes ambiguous  English grammar- particular point 2.2...it is provided verbatim):

"Sir/Madam,

APPLICATION FOR SOCIAL VISIT PASS UNDER 'MALAYSIA MY SECOND HOME'

I am directed to refer the above matter.

2. We are pleased to inform that your application for Social Visit Pass under the 'Malaysia My Second Home' programme has been approved on 60 months (5 years) direct basis, with the following conditions:
2.1 You are not allowed to work or be employed as long as you are under this programme, except permission has been granted by the Director-General of Immigration Malaysia.
2.2 You are strictly forbidden from participating in activities sensitive to local people, politics, missionary and activities that are provocative, instigative in nature and sensitive that could be threat to the security of the country.
2.3. You must bring all your latest Off-Shore Income Statement or latest Pension Statement for the latest 3 month during your renewing pass under "MALAYSIA MY SECOND HOME"

3. If you agree to these conditions, please be please together with your passport and the below mentioned payment."

As you can see I was admitted under the Pension program. I would imagine that those under the FD option would have to show they continue to have the FD (minus approved withdrawals). I doubt they have any statement on the letter about "topping up". And there is nothing about any requirement of residency.

The wording of the (old rules) approval letter for FD applicants differs only in that the income/pension clause is replaced by a paragraph stating that the FD can be drawn upon for various approved expenses, but must be held above a minimum level "throughout your stay in Malaysia under this programme". As Cinnamonape says, no mention of topping up or a residence requirement.

After looking at the documents more carefully I could see some issues.

The new applicants are rewarded a 10 Year visa on submission (pp15).

That's great for them (maybe) as the "oldies" were given Five Years.

The ambiguity begins when we talk about extension/renewal (pp.23).

"All applicants whose Multiple Entry Visa (MEV) has expired on the fifth year, can extend their MEV for another five years. He/She MUST* submit the following documents to Immigration Department, Sarawak for consideration"   [* capitalisation theirs]

1.Letter of Intent by the Principal
2. Copy & Original of Applican's Passport
3. Form IMM. 55 (1 Copy) [This is the Application for Extension of the Visa Pass and makes no reference to a sponsor/agent]
4. Form IMM.38 (1 Copy, if applicable) [This is a special form for those countries that had a visa requirement]
5. A copy of the certified Fixed Deposit statement from the bank.
6) A certified Copy of the Conditional Letter of Approval.
7) A copy of the original Medical Report (RB II Form)  Each..." for applicant and spouse."

Okay fairly straightforward and no different than previously for "oldies" and this seems to be different from those in the new program. Because they are on a 10-Year Program they would not have to do this.

But this is followed by the following and where the ambiguity may arise.

"Application For Renewal"

"ALL applicants who wish continue the program for the second 10-Year should submit to Immigration Department Sarawak their application as NEW Applications." (Please refer to page 8-14 for the procedures and requirements.)"

Now does this ONLY affect those on the "10-Year" (New Program) while the "oldies" can just apply and reapply for 5 year extensions? If the oldies have to reapply Completely at ten years  that would, indeed, make them a "New applicant" subject to the new rules.

Now I would note that the "extension clause" doesn't state that there is any limitation to the number of extensions one can receive . It doesn't say  "for a SECOND five years" it says if ones 5-Year MEV is expiring on the fifth year that one can extend for ANOTHER five years." And presumably another, and another.

The "complete reapplication" process seems restricted to those on the "TEN YEAR" plan. But I could see trouble down the road if Immigration officers interpret things differently. They may indeed try to require heath insurance, a Topping Up of the FD, and the 15 days a year provisions. But by then you're likely too old to get Insurance, won't have any withdrawal options (except health care...maybe hire a maid/health assistant/cook).

cinnamonape wrote:

SNIP
But this is followed by the following and where the ambiguity may arise.

"Application For Renewal"

"ALL applicants who wish continue the program for the second 10-Year should submit to Immigration Department Sarawak their application as NEW Applications." (Please refer to page 8-14 for the procedures and requirements.)"

Now does this ONLY affect those on the "10-Year" (New Program) while the "oldies" can just apply and reapply for 5 year extensions? If the oldies have to reapply Completely at ten years  that would, indeed, make them a "New applicant" subject to the new rules.

Now I would note that the "extension clause" doesn't state that there is any limitation to the number of extensions one can receive . It doesn't say  "for a SECOND five years" it says if ones 5-Year MEV is expiring on the fifth year that one can extend for ANOTHER five years." And presumably another, and another.

The "complete reapplication" process seems restricted to those on the "TEN YEAR" plan. But I could see trouble down the road if Immigration officers interpret things differently. They may indeed try to require heath insurance, a Topping Up of the FD, and the 15 days a year provisions. But by then you're likely too old to get Insurance, won't have any withdrawal options (except health care...maybe hire a maid/health assistant/cook).

Yes, it's very ambiguous. My guess is that after two lots of 5 years, a new application will have to be made. New, ten year applicants have to jump through more hoops than "oldies" did to get approval, and yet even they have to repeat the whole process at ten years. I cannot imagine that "oldies" will be allowed to renew for 5 years again and again.

I'll ask around with some oldies today. Some are on their fourth renewal.

Looking at the Letter of Conditional Approval posted above by Cinnamonape, it seems (my opinion) the Letter does not set out any terms for an extension or renewal, other than it tells you to bring 3 months of pension statements when next applying for a renewal/extension.   The Letter does not guarantee or promise any renewal/extension.  It makes no reference to any requirements (like size of pension, size of deposit, health insurance, length of stay etc.)

However in recent announcements that someone posted on this site, or maybe in the actual new rules rolled out this September, there is a requirement that people get annual medical insurance, even the oldies when seeking renewal/extension. This is a departure from the old rules for the oldies.

Let me look back at the various announcements and things I read then I will post here about the source of that med insurance requirement, for every applicant oldie and new.  If there is this departure from the old rules, it opens the door for the replacement of all of the old rules with the new rules, meaning no grandfathering.

Then what you are saying is that the Administrator of the SMM2H misled me when she specifically stated that I "would be under the old rules"? Admittedly a lot of what occurs in Sarawak appears to be "what is done in practice" and not written down.
In fact this is the first time they have ever actually developed a policy document that is public. And things "written down" doesn't necessarily mean they will follow that statement. For example, in the application materials for the old visa it states that the recipient will receive a ten-year pass. When I, and other more recent applicants, applied we were told "no it is five years, we have never offered ten years". I showed the the two places where it said ten and noted it never said five. I suggested the change the materials on the web site. They never did. 

And I did find out that some of the old-timers had originally received a 10-year pass but later only a five year extension. The woman I talked to had only worked at Sarawak Immigration for six years, and thus didn't realise  there WAS (once) a ten-year pass. Most have accepted that change because as long as the renewal (or extension) was a formality it affected them not a bit.

But this would be a major impact to the community here. Most could not afford the health insurance premiums offered for people of their age, if thy could get a policy at all. They would have to find RM200K to "top up" what is in their FD to meet the terms of the new visa. And although they probably wouldn't be impacted by the "15-day" rule I do know of an Australian couple and a Frenchman that went back home on holiday and now can't return...they are expecting a whole year away with no ability to return to what is their permanent home. Both own property and are financially still paying off the mortgage, housekeepers, security, etc.