Home decoration ideas for expats in Indonesia

Hello,

After moving to Indonesia, setting up home and turning your accommodation into your personal abode can be a great way to start off your new life and feel at home. We would like to know whether expats are keen on decorating and furnishing to warm up their space whether for the festive season or all year-round.

Upon renting a new apartment or house in Indonesia, do you redesign your accommodation to suit your taste? Are your choices influenced by price, climate, etc…?

Have you brought any interior decoration items from your home country or did you consider buying any once in Indonesia?

As an expat in Indonesia do you find it worthy to invest in home decor? Could you share what you have bought and perhaps some interesting places to shop for home decor?

How would you describe the local style of decoration? Have you picked up any item which reflects the local style?

Would you be inspired by the festive season to decorate and add a festive touch to your living space?

Thank you for sharing your experience,

Bhavna

Our home is decorated with teak furniture, modern furniture from Informa and has paintings and art work from our travels. It has a British front door with brass fittings and the general style is a cross between a Balinese Villa and a Santorini Greek villa.

My man cave was designed as a music studio and my wife's is a studio/workshop.

The house is spacious and comfortable, five bedrooms, seven air-conditioners, two ceiling fans and both a front and indoor garden with a pond. It has large glass and teak folding doors to really open up the house, rugs from Afghanistan and Persia.

We recently bought bean bags online for Rp300k to 400k each. It's a very comfortable house for kids too. The house has windows on four sides so is very bright and airy and has high ceilings with down lights and a modern look.

wife takes control, she needs a little pushing towards toned down/ neutral colours. But everything over that she can go knock her socks off
various bits we have picked up on our travels but mostly she has a mix from Thailand and Indonesia, furnishings mainly items resembling from java, Bali and Sumatra influence with a good old mix of European style that she loves and me also
We have an apartment in hangdong and they is a village in that area that is out of this world from tiny keep sakes to the largest dining tables (would literally take days to see it all just outside from Chiangmai/Thailand) and skill involved is out of this world
I have some personal bits n bobs from the uk for man cave but will remove in the next 18/24 months as we will leave Indonesia on a semi basis
It's pretty modern I guess and keeping up with the Joneses
Our rentals or similar to above but semi furnished and cheaper versions but not poor quality, but with crazy colours on bedding etc ???? Keeps me awake