Holiday food in Indonesia

Hello,

End of year holidays around the world are such an exciting time of the year, with holiday food playing a big part of the traditions and celebrations.

What are some traditions surrounding holiday meals in Indonesia?

Tell us about a few of the traditional holiday dishes and meals in Indonesia.

What are some of your favourites?

Are the food that are consumed during the festive season easy to prepare at home, or do most people buy them at the store?

Are holiday meals a big family festivity in Indonesia?

Is there a general budget that people allocate to holiday meals?

Thank you for sharing your experience,

Priscilla

I've no idea about end of year traditional food in Indonesia, and to be honest I didn't know they was such a thing.

Usually in my location (always actually) traditional Christmas and new year food binge takes place with plenty of drinks, at various houses with friends
variety of meats (turkey beef and lamb goes down well with Indonesians cooked the bule way) and fresh vegetables some I've yet to see in Indonesia (maybe some places do have them?)  namely parsnips, sprouts and turnip along with many other vegetables, Christmas cake and pudding not forgetting mince pies (the fruit variety) amongst many other treats mostly homemade (traditional) and real gravy

a majority of the foods are fresh and made between us (take it in turns) probably 50% can be bought locally but more often than not it's from Singapore, Thailand, UK and Australia as many of us are returning just before Christmas or new year and it works well that way
Budget wise it's up to the individuals on how they budget, usually 60+ people on 4/5 different occasions in a 2 week period plus a bbq or two
Lots of Indonesian dishes also but nothing I don't see any time of the year really
Can't wait pigs in blankets, stuffing, apple sauce mouth watering time 😊

Hi Priscilla,
the moslem in Indonesia usually not having any special meal during new years eve. we usually only buy fireworks and paper trumpets to celebrate new year with family or small group of friends. However starting around 12 years ago the Eid Al-Adha fell on 30th of december, in Eid Al-Adha we usually do some barbeque with the lamb and beef that we sacrificed/received and this tradition continue every new years eve where we would grill chicken, fish, corn, other seafood and beef on new years eve although the Eid Al-Adha not falls around new years eve anymore.

I believe the ethnic group with christian majority such as bataknese, and manadonese do have special dishes that they cook for new year, however I'm sorry I cannot give you more information about it since i'm not really familiar with it.

Hopefully somebody will give you more information on that.

cheers. :)

At Christmas unfortunately I want a traditional “Western “ Christmas instead.  Many places offer a Christmas Eve special but I am used to staying at home Christmas Eve with family and friends.  I seldom go to “American” restaurants but I really do want Turkey on Christmas Day.  I finally found a resort offering all you can eat including turkey, duck and lamb for only 220,000 rp so guess where I am going?