Nervous About Moving to KL Next Month

Hi all,

my husband, another couple and I will be moving to KL next month and I need some advice. My husband is Canadian (Caucasian) and I was born in Fiji (Indian descent) but raised in Canada and have lived in Canada all my life. The other couple Pete and Lisa are Australian and are Caucasian.

I have been fortunate enough to never have encountered any racism or negativity against the color of my skin until our visit to KL a few weeks ago. So this is my situation.

Lisa and I went shopping at Time Square and one of the things on my list was to buy a pair of D&G;sunglasses. Anyways, we went into an optical place and I found a pair that I wanted to purchase but as I had them on and asking Lisa what she thought of them the sales lady came and asked Lisa if she wanted to try on the glasses that I had on. Lisa said “no” and then the sales lady asked her if there was anything else she could help Lisa with and did not acknowledge me at all. We both couldn't believe what just happened and we walked out.

We then went to a clothing store and I held up a dress to my body and asked Lisa what she thought. A sales lady came up and asked Lisa if she wanted to try on the dress that I was holding up and Lisa again said “no” we were both so disgusted that we ended up leaving the mall. I told my husband what happened and started to cry because I could not believe people would treat other people like that. Needless to say my outlook in moving to KL is not good.

I've talked to a couple of my co-workers who are Malaysian and they said that unfortunately Malaysia is like that. A person with white skin will always be treated better my question to you all is - is this true?

I've told my husband and Lisa that if this happens again when we're in KL I am going to raise my voice and question why I am receiving that sort of treatment the only problem is that I've read its really bad to get into an argument in public. If something like this happened in North America a customer would be able to file a complaint with the manager and head office and the matter would be rectified. Why does KL not have the same sort of policy for anyone working in a public environment?

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you for your time.

Hi there,

i've read your email on 07.01.09. Sorry if im not fluent in English. But i have some advise to u. Refer on your email I was upset about your situation. I am pure Malaysian citizen. But we always avoid from Black guy. They have bad attitude in Malaysia. Everywhere think the same. Many cases happend from Black Guy (Nigeria,Africa). They drunk n drugs addict. This was happend last time when i visit my friend house somewhere in Cheras,Malaysia. She told me a group of student from Africa rape 1 chinese lady at night when she get drunk. The same cases also happend everywhere. We always thinking that black guys are very bad till now. sorry for that. Sometimes, Malaysian people avoid to be friend with black guys. This is 1 of reason that i can share with you. We always welcome expatriates abroad to Malaysia. But some of the reason make you not comfortable with. But i am sure u can understand Malaysia culture n really love with us. Please share with me if u need my advise.

my humble suggestions is not to worry much, get on with it rather take it as it comes and do not keep any prejudice again any culture, race or creed. Malay people are in general very friendly and kind. It is other day in the US history that black people go the right to vote, let's not be anti Malays.

Enjoy your time in a lovely country.
Raz

White people tend to attract more attention than asian, african or other. Malaysian must think we all work for international companies paying us six figures salaries in USD and try to get our business.

I don't really like what Marizlan is saying, but I have to agree on the fact that many african in Malaysia behave badly in the past. Many scams started by africans spoiled Malaysians and therefore, they tend to not like them much.

My advice, don't pay attention to it. Raz_rian is right.

Malaysia is not Canada.
Discrimination exists everywhere. Even in Canada.
It may be more subtle over there though. Think about post-colonial issues in developing countries and try and forget applying far-western criteria to a multi-ethnic country such as Malaysia where people try and live together in peace.
I have lived in Canada before (for 6 years) before coming back to Malaysia as an "expat" (though not making six figures, not even five figures salaries) and I can assure you there are people of Indian descent facing discrimination there.
For sure, your professional life in Malaysia will offer you another face of the people who make this country go ahead and improve day in day out.