Importing a motorcycle to Malaysia

I have been living in Sarawak for nearly two years, I am married to a Malaysian and have a spouse visa, I am also working and have a work permit.

I would like to ask how to import a motorcycle from the United Kingdom
The motorcycle I want to bring in is 25 years old, and is not available in Malaysia either new or used , so buying one here is not possible
The value is not particularly high, I own the motorcycle, it is registered in my name in the U.K.

I have a quote for shipping to Sarawak, but would to know what the costs of duty and taxes and any other her fees that I would need to pay worth of be and how are they calculated?

My hobby is motorcycle restoration and customising .
So want to bring the bike in for myself

Is anybody me able to advise ?

The motorcycle is a 650cc petrol engine and was manufactured in 1994 and has U.K. registration documents

I appreciate any help

Hi,

First of all, don't listen to the naysayers who insist that it's nigh impossible. It is very much doable, and not at all expensive, as long as you have time enough to go through the hoops.

The first thing you have to get is the AP – the licence to import a motor vehicle – two, three or four wheelers are treated the same at this time. For that, you need to find a 'friendly' AP holder. This will be a Malay company (only these are allowed to import vehicles). You have to be nice to them and agree on the value of the vehicle and their cut. At this point, it's much simpler to let them deal with the transport and – not least – the import procedure. That way, you don't have to bother about arguing with the Customs about the very low value of your bike ;) They will always have better contacts there than you can ever hope for...

Once you have the AP, it's pretty straightforward. You book an inspection with Puspakom (either taking the bike to one of their sites or paying a few bucks extra – total 121.60 MYR – for a home visit. And as long as the engine and chassis numbers look original and not tampered with (more about that below), and correspond to the original registration document, you're good to go.

With the report and the AP, you now need a K1 document, i.e. the Puspakom report being keyed in to the system. This can be done by either your 'friendly AP company', alternatively there are at least three companies in KL that will do it for you if it's a private import, for 100 MYR.

And that's it – armed with the AP and K1 you're now ready to register the bike, get insurance, pay for the road tax and get the licence plate made!

Here's how I did it (twice):

First time was in '96-'97 when I brought my bike with me while working on a contract. Declared the value at 10,000 (!) MYR and agreed on it with the customs boss (he was Indian, so a bottle of Chivas went a long way...). Never bothered to register it, though. I drove with the Swedish plate and managed to get basic insurance for it locally. Then I left the country and took the bike with me.

Came back in 2012, on MM2H this time. Brought a car with me, as in those days you could import one vehicle without any duties. And the bike, which had already been in the country before and therefore exempt... I thought. Several weeks, and numerous interactions with the customs later, I had to resort to using my high-level MITI contact. Two hours later, I had all the necessary paperwork – go figure.

Fast forward to now: I spent years rebuilding and tweaking the bike until beginning of this year. It's a Harley old-school 70' chopper, with the Swedish registration papers identifying it as being a 1957 model (don't ask). With a custom hardtail frame, of course, and the frame number punched in by me. That was the biggest hurdle – getting JPJ to accept the 'homemade' frame number. But once I got the go-ahead from JPJ in Putrajaya (personal visit and insisting on seeing the bigwigs), in an official letter, the Puspakom guys were angels. And now, I've got the only radical Harley chopper in Malaysia that's actually passed the inspection – with pictures to prove it – and is road legal, even with the somewhat daring (by Malaysian standards) mural paintwork!