Immigrate to Ireland from South Africa

Hi all

Apologies in advance if this topic has been  discussed prior to joining.

I am currently in the process of obtaining my Foreign Birth certificate. Once I receive my passport, my family (spouse & 2 kids aged 11 and 8) would like to move to Ireland. I am under the impression that as a South African we do not need a visa to enter Ireland and that I would have no problem gaining entry into Ireland however my spouse and children would have to approach immigration at the airport and ask for  permission to stay etc and then they stamp your passport with a temp stamp and then they have a certain amount of days to announce their intentions at the closest immigration office. My first concern is that my spouse and kids get turned away at the airport (that would just ve heartbreaking) what are the chances of that happening? Also say they get the temporary stamp in their passport, when can my spouse apply for a job? Since we immigrating do we need a certain amount in our bank account to show the immigration office, obviously we will have some savings to support us for the first couple of months. Worst case scenario is we arrive with no jobs in place, no rental etc  (ideally I would like to have a job lined up prior to arriving) How does one secure a rental with just savings whilst still looking for employment?

Sorry last question, since my kids have to go the immigration route, would they be allowed to go to school there or would they have to wait till all get approved at immigration office (which can take months)

Thanks

Hi and welcome to the Forum.

What passport will you have?

Cynic
Expat Team

Thank you for the welcome.

I mean I would be become a Irish citizen once registered.

T

Hi again.

Well, as an Irish citizen I don't anticipate you having any problems (or your family).

From what you've said, you have already looked at the Irish Government website regarding this; if not, this link will take you there; if you follow all the links it pretty much tells you all that you need to know.  I'd advise that both you and your husband go through the website and make sure that you have all the documentation they require.  The Irish Government department that handles all this (INIS) have a contact page (link) where you can ask your own questions.

Once you've gone through the process(es), your husband will be able to work and your kids can attend school.

One last point, if either of you currently works in what's regarded as a regulated profession, make sure you have all your qualifications and documentation up to date.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

Thank you