Immigrate to Ireland

Hi all . My wife and I are deciding to immigrate to Ireland next year. My wife holds a Uk passport and me just a SA passport. What is the best way to go about immigrating . What are the rules with regarding  me starting work after the first few weeks of being in Ireland. We are not sure of what area we would like to go too yet. We have a 1 year old son as well.  Also the scary thing is when we land we have no where to go.  What are most people doing with regards to renting. We would need a furnished place as we will have sold all our belongings and will have to start off fresh eventually. Any info would help.

Hi and welcome to the forum  :)

Whilst waiting for others to reply please go to 'Discover' at the top of this page and click on 'The Ireland Guide'. Plenty of information to be found there.
For rentals you would need to come up with an area first.

Also read other threads here too.

Hi and welcome to the Forum.

Your wife is a UK citizen and as such has the right to live and work in Ireland.  You, as her husband and your son, under Article 10 of the EU Directive 2004/38/EC, have the right to accompany her. So, none of you needs a visa to come and live in Ireland.  You will need to apply for a residence card once you have moved to Ireland.

Neither do either of you need an Employment Permit; so it comes down to whether you can get a job.  The Irish Government actually issue a list of occupations that they have deemed as being in shortage and they are actively encouraging these people to come to Ireland; you can see the list from this link.  The relevance of this list to you is that if you have qualifications/experience in any of them, then you have a pretty good chance of finding work; it follows that if you don't, the opposite will apply and life could be pretty miserable.

Lastly, I'd carefully read some of the other posts on this Forum.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team